Ludia Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Alex Thabet

Ludia could be the best place to work at in Montreal

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Ludia full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A dynamic, creative working environment

Cons

A few that we are working on...

2. Worst place to work ever

I have been working at Ludia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you don't mind a bad pay, no recognition of your work, working with incompetent people, bad management and wasting your time, this is the place to go! The social aspect of the company is probably the only good thing there is to it, if you can dodge the jerks and immature people.

Cons

They are only interested in making money, not great games. They preferred to have programmers do nothing for a while than code features that would have been cool for the players because "it wouldn't bring any money." What a good way to value your player base... Only reason they are successful is because they hit the nail with the Jurassic Park franchise. All their games are pretty bad, even that one.

Advice to Management

Learn to recognize real talent and value your players more than that, otherwise you won't be able to retain any for very long.

3. It's a French Company and I faced racist comments...

I worked at Ludia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at Ludia for 2 years and was hired from Ontario. Loved the company as work environment was good and so was their location (Old Port). I made some good friends and got great reviews in my very first year. They never pressured me to learn French and I was good till then.

Cons

One fine day I walk to my PC and it was all in French language pack installed for windows. This was no good for me or the other english speakers as we had a put up a request with the HR sort it out for us please...

My second year was great and I realised that most of my english speaking colleagues vanished out of the blues. So did one of my best friend as he too was from english speaking region. The day I was supposed to be reviewed, They gave me great reviews on my work behaviour and quality of work and bonus along with a notice to leave the company. This South African game producer said it on my face that I have issues with my English and French. French I understand but give me a break..."English"...am I that bad??

It was too late as I did all the paperwork etc...and later on realised that she was racist. So bottom line, It took 2 years for them to take a decision ;p

Advice to Management

Don't take your employees so easy as 2 years is a good time period for some one to devote him self at work. I might be a small decision of a bigger game but this is not how you build a company...Try to win hearts.

5. Never again

Former Employee - 3D Artist in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - 3D Artist in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Ludia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great people
    - nice atmosphere

Cons

- horrible engine and technology
    - reluctance to update said engine and technologies with basic features that have been available in other engines for over 10 years (i.e.: supporting smoothing groups)
    - bad management
    - no desire to improve games/products beyond what is considered "cash-grab"... quality isn't very important

Review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Ludia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many launch, summer and winter holiday parties with generous prizes (example: Playstation 4, Xbox One, iPads, Massages at BOTA and etc.).

Free breads, fruits, coffee, tea and hot chocolate all year round. Free yummy salads and variety of non-alcoholic beverages every other week that is not pay week. Free beer, wine and variety of chips every Friday.

Each team gets a budget for team building.

3 weeks vacation!

Cons

Pay and raises are low, even if you do a great job and your project does well. Does not feel like you are valued.

No where to advance in the company.

Loud and obnoxious children who do not respect others are tolerated here. Even if they decide to spread their sickness with the entire company every autumn/winter and or if they are incompetent and make poor judgement.

Usual office politics of favouritism, know what to say and you will get your way.

Advice to Management

Less lavish parties and give people a decent raise/pay.

Stop being so pretentious and come back down to earth.

Investigate on problems thoroughly, even if it takes time before dismissing it.

Management are still nice and decent people. Keep on trying, nobody is perfect.

Fun for a year, hard to stay after that if you respect yourself

Current Employee - Anonymous in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Ludia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Nice people, including upper management and CEO

-Very good "superficial" perks (parties, activities, free stuff), more traditional benefits also decent (free gym membership, healthy snacks, health insurance etc.)

-Flexible working hours, relaxed environment, cool office

-Nice location in the Old Port

-Great work-life balance

-Impossible to move up, very difficult or impossible to move to other positions within the company

Cons

-Salaries are a joke

-Many completely incompetent people in middle management, most of them have worked at the company from the very beginning, a lot of nepotism (completely useless people are able to hold onto their jobs because their boss is their friend)

-Many producers/team leads are completely careless which translates to the rest of the team following their example (meeting rooms are always a mess, people don't clean up after themselves in the kitchen)

-The company offers training/professional development opportunities ONLY if it's in the company's best interest / they will majorly benefit from it

-HR can be extremely picky when it comes to hiring people, supposedly due to their high standards, although often the rejected applicants end up working in the same position at a different, more successful video game company

-Despite the scrutiny of HR, most of our recent games have not been very successful at all

Advice to Management

-I would consider throwing less ridiculously expensive parties and thinking that giving out tons of plastic garbage with the company/game logo makes me feel appreciated. Paying me adequately would make me feel a lot more appreciated.

-Making the yearly evaluation system better and more transparent (adding more weight to peer evaluations etc.) Just because someone has been at the company for a long time doesn't mean that they're suddenly off the hook.

-You are well aware of the fact that most people only come to Ludia to learn some new skills and then leave, yet are doing very little to make people stay. Allowing people to grow within the company and offering professional development opportunities would definitely help

Fun and relaxed job atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Ludia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly, even your boss.
    There's more and more social activities.
    Game projects are increasing in quality.
    Working conditions have improved over the years: there's now very few overtime, management is clearly doing efforts on employees retention with more benefits and overall transparency with an income scale.

Cons

Very few opportunities of advancement or personal development.
    Micromanagement is very present, especially on the game design aspect.

Advice to Management

Ludia clearly has its flaws, but keep showing to your employees that you're willing to improve the company.

Good for learning

I worked at Ludia

Pros

Good office location. Interresting activities. Good people. Good parties.

Cons

Company grows too fast to keep in touch with it's own employees. Salaries are close to insulting. Leads and management are not necessarly fit for the job (some are, some are not, flip a coin). Bad office space organisation. Limited creative space and possibilities. Employees are not trusted by management, somewhat like highschool students. Raises are a joke.

Advice to Management

Trust people. Help employes grow. Sit back for a year and focus on improving what you already have, secure your base.

A good senior artist or programmer does not necessarly mean a good lead.

Start considering projects that your employees will enjoy working on. Maybe at least one IP just for fun?

Its very nice seeing the profits of the company you work for skyrocket. But when most of your employees are underpaid, it does not exactly work as a motivation. Quite the opposite. Find ways so that your employes feel some part of the profits they help generate end up in their pocket too.

If you are young great, if you are mature run away!

Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Ludia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dynamic , young, loud, active, gaming all over, lovely location, people from all backgrounds.

Cons

Immature people, lunch thefts, cheap home desks with no drawers or personal space, cheap uncomfortable chairs, crammed together in huge rooms back to back desk to desk while the non technical people sit in lovely private offices.

Advice to Management

A bit of respect for people who studied and worked for years to reach where they are, while you treat them as if they are school children.

11. Small company, good people, good benefits

Current Employee - QA Tester in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - QA Tester in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Ludia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay can be very good if you are an able negotiator and full range of dental and health insurance, Access to a free gym (that may not be the case anymore)

Cons

The company, like most other videogames company, rely heavily on overtime, especialy for the QA staff in order to meet deadlines.

RSS Feed </> Embed