Lufkin Industries Reviews

Lufkin Industries President, CEO, and Director Jay Glick
Jay Glick

1. Engineer

I worked at Lufkin Industries full-time

Pros

Since Lufkin was purchased by GE their health benefits package improved greatly. Employees gained access to GE's web portal which helps. Lufkin is a great place to raise a family. The engineering teams are very good people who generally treat each other like family. The company is over 125 years old which is no small accomplishment for a company in the oil sector. Cost of living is less than most areas.

Cons

Most of Lufkin's design Engineering is done at the Lufkin Plant in Lufkin Tx. Lufkin is not a town known for it's "list of things to do". It was registered as a Texas' retirement town. So it is not particularly easy for Lufkin to recruit young talent to the East Texas city. Lufkin is about 1.5 hrs away from the closest international airport. Lufkin has been know as a training ground for engineers. IE Engineers typically spend 2-3 years at Lufkin then move to higher paying gigs. Since the GE takeover, Lufkin has gone through many changes during the integration process. The effect of said changes is not yet known. During the oil crash of 2015 Lufkin laid off 30% of it's team.

Advice to Management

Allow satellite Engineering departments to be located outside of Lufkin to attract talent that is more likely to stay aboard for the long haul.

2. Field technician

Current Employee - Field Technician in Odessa, TX
    Current Employee - Field Technician in Odessa, TX

Pros

Okay benefits since they were bought out by GE. Monday through Friday is always nice.

Cons

Underpaid for the type of work and it is very dangerous. They do not promote the most qualified person because they promote people that they just like, even if they have no clue as to what they are doing. if you are a working in the field and sales and work slows down it is your fault even though you are just told what and where to go do your job. Management and sales are not held accountable even if they just show up in the morning and then go find a quiet place to go to sleep, or go to home after they leave the office but not before going to buy booze to take with them when they're supposed to be looking for work.

Advice to Management

They need to promote the right people to help the company move forward. Management needs to stop being selfish and think of the company as a whole.

3. Good place to work, but little time off and very oilitical

Pros

Pay was good, but ahd to work 70+ hours a week to get it.

Cons

Often times the employees knew more about the production process than the leadership.

5. I should never have worked there...

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Lufkin, TX
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Lufkin, TX

I worked at Lufkin Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a paycheck and sales orders are increasing!

Cons

You're treated like slave labor. This is now a GE company and I expected a lot more from them. All your employees make more than you do. No training, sink or swim mentality. No communication from the top to the lowest level or from department to department. You work seven days a week, 60 to 80 hours as a salary employee (no overtime). Cronyism and good ole' boy network is deeply entrenched and if you didn't grow up in the area, they do everything possible to back stab and keep you down. The Lufkin culture makes a mockery of the GE mantra of Integrity, Quality and Execution. If you're a Military Hire stay away!! It's the opposite work ethic that you ever learned in the military!

Advice to Management

If you want quality Supervisors and Managers, you need to pay and invest in their training. Your lack of pay and training only shows how much you care about their future. If you want to make this company to succeed you need to seriously evaluate the management that has been there more than five years.

6. Cold hearted favorisim

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lufkin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lufkin, TX

I worked at Lufkin Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Only decent paying job in the area, good 401k, possibility for great overtime.

Cons

Company will not value your hard work, will not offer any bonuses with the exeption of a fish fry, Company is extremely cold hearted when it comes to family/personal values. Some departments will show favorisim towards the "afro-american" decent.

Advice to Management

Offer bonuses, be more organized and pay more attention to detail rather then he said she said statements! People that actually work hard and are dedicated to their employer seem to be the ones to get fired/laid off, rather then those who are constantly calling in or being late.

7. lufkin

Current Employee - Welder in Lufkin, TX
    Current Employee - Welder in Lufkin, TX

I have been working at Lufkin Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

benifits, one of the best paying jobs in area

Cons

Texas heat and welding don't mix well

8. No bonuses and not a family oriented company. Just a paycheck.

Current Employee - Pump Tech in Levelland, TX
    Current Employee - Pump Tech in Levelland, TX

I have been working at Lufkin Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady paycheck. They do offer benefits.

Cons

No incentives, no bonus pay, no holiday acknowledgement, no personal touches whatsoever, very cold impersonal company. Work you 80 hours a week and if you are salaried no extra pay and zero bonuses as any incentive for so much time. HR is screwy and screwed up my benefits.

Advice to Management

Employ more knowledgeable higher ups, add incentives and better pay for more work.

OK

Current Employee - Automation Tech in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Automation Tech in Houston, TX

Pros

Work alone no one bothering you about your work

Cons

No communication from company about anything unless something is wrong No incentives,only a paycheck

Advice to Management

Get more progressive you lose a lot of your talented people

Its a different experience from my former jobs, but its a job.

Current Employee - Class A Burner in Lufkin, TX
    Current Employee - Class A Burner in Lufkin, TX

Pros

The pay is good, and as long as we have orders, the work and hours are good. It has it `s good qualities. It`s a job without benefits.

Cons

The downsides of working there is our family values. when it comes down to having quality time with our families we have to work mandatory weekends and that is when most families spend time together. Its alright to work some weekends if we choose to do so. Not made to do it. Because some people like to work. I do at times, but I would like to spend time with my family on some weekends.

Advice to Management

Bonuses would be nice for the hourly employees, for jobs well done. We only get a fish fry for job safety every 200 days. I would rather see bonuses every quarter. And Christmas bonuses. We have never had a decent Christmas present from there since I been there almost 7 years.

11. Lufkin

Pros

Stable company with a good product

Cons

No upward mobility or vision for the future

RSS Feed </> Embed