Lufthansa (USA)

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
3.1

Christoph Franz

Overall good company to work for

I worked at Lufthansa (USA)

Pros

Very good travel benefits, you can by stand by tickets for yourself, spouse, children and parents after working more than 6 month(probation time is 6 month). Good life/work balance. Annual vacation is about 40 days as a flight attendant. Every month fly 70-80 hours.

Cons

Not so many career advancement chances. The company is big so sometimes it is bureaucratic - you wait days and weeks to get answer for your request. some people work diligently, some are just the opposite.

Great colleagues, but limited career development and questionable upper management priorities

I have been working at Lufthansa (USA) full-time

Pros

Great people to work with. Stable, reputable employer. Great work/life balance. Excellent 401K match and vacation packages. Profitable airline.

Cons

Always in cost cutting mode. Very limited career development in the US with main focus is on preserving Germany based employees. Very complex processes and poor flight benefits. Constant strikes from Germany based employees whose benefits far exceed yours.

Look at the contribution coming from the US and promote the talent there. With limited career opportunities, the talent will continue to go to competitors.

Nice work environment, hands-on training

I worked at Lufthansa (USA) part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Well structured company with high priorities and focused on excellent customer service

Cons

High contrast of micro management. Sometimes it can be very stressful dealing with customers. Low pay rate and limited benefits since it was handled by Swissport North America.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great, eye-opening first job

Former Employee - Customer Service Tech Agent  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Tech Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Lufthansa (USA) full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to meet new people from around the world and see the behind-the-scenes action that goes on in airports.

Cons

We sometimes have to deal with rude passengers and the computer equipment we get to use is rather old. New uniforms wouldn't hurt either.

Invest in new equipment, part of the issue with passengers getting angry at us is that the computers take too long to work or stop functioning. There are no kiosks unlike other places at George Bush Intercontinental Airport. We were also quite understaffed, and could really use new employees that were already trained.

Alright company with uncertain outlook

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Lufthansa (USA) for less than a year

Pros

Pleasant office athmosphere, good work-life balance, very good flight benefits, flexi hours, long lunch break (1h), in parts highly professional and comitted co-workers who are experts in their respective fields, 401k, great team!

Cons

Dissatisfying pay (not competitive with the city), very limited in terms of career advancement, uncertain outlook as long lasting restructuring ongoing which discourage staff, full-time positions get replaced by internships with identical tasks but lower salary

Be upfront about the future development, promote more qualified Americans as it seems that Germans move up faster, some long-lasting employees are with the company +20 yrs and never received any promotion.

Poor Management

Former Employee - Passenger Service Agent  in  Jamaica, NY
    Former Employee - Passenger Service Agent in Jamaica, NY

I worked at Lufthansa (USA) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Meeting people from all over the world. Continuing my passion for Germany and learning the language more efficiently with everyone I met.

Cons

Notice that only Intern Passenger Service is apparent on this list. Employees who are not interns working as Passenger Service are paid less than about $8/hr after taxes. Even if the money was poor, I still loved working there for the customers who came from all over the world. Management's organization and communication is so poor and they had let me go for nonsensical reasons. There are barely any German employees left working mainly for this company except the interns that come in the summer and get paid more because they are getting their salary from Germany (and not in America, otherwise they would never get paid, there is no union here).

Hire people who work from their heart. Not minorities who gang up on people who do [work with heart].

Was't my dream company

I worked at Lufthansa (USA)

Pros

Good colleagues from around the world , had a good colleagues in office too

Cons

So weak salaries with almost no bonus , so much stress over the counter, long working hours with no break

Good employe satisfaction means good service

Used to be a great company to work for

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lufthansa (USA) full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great co-workers, great brand to work for

Cons

low pay compared to US airlines, challenging work environment right now, uncertain how structure will be in the years to come. Limited opportunity to advance unless you are in New York. Even then, true opportunities are limited to Germans in Germany.

Don't forget to motivate employees even during difficult times, don't wait too long before announcing new structure/hierarchies.

If you're not German and looking to move above an analyst, don't bother

Current Employee - Analyst  in  East Meadow, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in East Meadow, NY

I have been working at Lufthansa (USA) full-time for more than a year

Pros

-401k match to 7%
    -flex hours 7am to 10am
    -lunch is 30 minutes but widely accepted to take a longer one

Cons

If you're looking to move ahead in your career and not German, don't bother here, even if you're blond and blue-eyed. The blatant discrimination is so frustrating. You know you are qualified but you are literally a nobody if you are one of them. Even at the analyst/coordinator level, they're already mostly German. A lot of them were former interns and you have some locals working for a long time and they're not even promoted. If I had known this, I would've never joined the company. I don't know why the government lets in these people to discriminate against the country's people.

The pay is disgusting at 42k/year for an analyst and a 1% raise every 3 years, if that. That qualifies you for low-income housing in Nassau county, where Lufthansa operates (the threshold per NYS is 51k). I don't understand why they don't pay more for people who support entire sales teams with financial numbers dealing in the hundred millions. Most analyst are looking to leave in exodus for a fair paying job. Lufthansa will have complete brain drain in a few short years at the rate they're going. They also hire a lot of management trainees and pay them really low salaries after the program because they're stuck for two years as per their contracts. These people just keep leaving after a year or two and they're constantly hiring new trainees. The trainees are of course college educated, with many of them having master's. Some alma maters include NYU, Duke, Penn State, etc. They are not stupid - they will take their experience and go somewhere else asap.

Do not work for this airline. They are constantly cutting back and offering severance packages for the higher paid employees (we all think this is so they can have the management trainees take over their jobs for 50% less). Go to Emirates. Go to JetBlue. Go into the city if you want to be fairly paid.

HR is strong here. You have no say and they do not help you whatsoever. They are ONLY there for the company and do not care about you. They are involved in everything. The funniest part is that they don't even shovel the parking lot correctly and there's ice all over. I'm just waiting for someone to fall - you would think HR would be all over that.

30 minute dock for lunch time. That adds up to over two weeks unpaid in one year.

Pay your people fairly!

Lufthansa in the USA

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Lufthansa (USA) full-time for more than a year

Pros

International connections, adds a Global touch to your resume, nice colleagues to work with

Cons

Disconnected from HQ, low pay, very limmited vacation days

More flexible working environment would be welcomed

Worked for Lufthansa (USA)? Contribute to the Community!