Luke-Dorf Reviews

Reset
Howard Spanbock
1 Rating

1. Accounting Manager

I worked at Luke-Dorf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Convenient location, feel good about type of work/industry, co-workers passionate about mission.

Cons

Average benefits and pay, normally not-for-profit benefits offset lower pay Currently high turnover as new management takes the reigns from deceased CEO Howard Spanbock.

Advice to Management

Howard Spanbock's passing and no longer CEO, some of his ideals should remain in the company culture. Current CEO would benefit from being more involved in operations of company. Clear direction to staff may result in improved results toward company goals.

2. Hostile work environment

Former Employee - Administrative - Anonymous in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Administrative - Anonymous in Tigard, OR

I worked at Luke-Dorf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission. Long history of helping adults with mental illness. Staff is largely well- intentioned, competent, and great to work with.

Cons

This website still lists Howard Spanbock as CEO. Howard passed away in 2012, leaving behind a wonderful legacy. The new CEO has proven not to be up to the task. The administrative team has suffered greatly during his tenure, especially once he hired the current controller and operations manager, who has created to a hostile working environment. Administrative staff are harassed, yelled at, given unreasonable expectations, and asked to participate in unethical/questionable activities. Complaints to HR go ignored or employees are retaliated against for filing complaints. The bottom line: out of an administrative staff of 15 positions, 13 people have left in the past 18 months, which includes some positions being refilled more than once.

Advice to Management

The board needs to step in and replace the CEO with someone with vision, integrity, and the ability to successfully manage people.

3. Service Coordinator

Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Tigard, OR

I worked at Luke-Dorf (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff, great leadership, awesome coworkers, supportive environment, work/life balance, good benefits, meaningful staff meetings. At the Tigard office, you can learn a lot, get weekly supervision that you actually look forward to because you get help managing your caseload, ideas on how to best meet you clients' needs, and a general sense that you are not alone. The front desk person is so competent and helpful, and the QMHAs are always happy to help, too. I have never worked in such a supportive environment.

Cons

Low pay, not enough resources to meet clients' needs. There is some lack of clarity between the roles of clinical staff and housing staff that gives client a small opening to staff split. It can be overwhelming working with SPMI clients because they have so many challenges and barriers that keep them from stabilizing. It can be frustrating and sad. The electronic information system has some glitches.

Advice to Management

Hire a full time grants writer to research and write grants to fund permanent supportive housing for folks who cannot function in a traditional housing. Have more team building activities. Support more collaboration between treatment home staff and clinical staff. Pour your resources into the Tigard people and managers who are getting results and consider operating other Luke-Dorf locations under the Tigard umbrella so that all the offices can run in a uniform, efficient manner. Sometimes, you just need to admit something isn't working and let it go. The Tigard office should be the model. More training up front, especially with the computer system, would probably save money in the long run.

"It opened my eyes in a good way, but I would never do this again."

Current Employee - Walk-In Coordinator in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Walk-In Coordinator in Portland, OR

I have been working at Luke-Dorf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a good learning experience because I got to see how a whole segment of society lived that I spent most of my life oblivious to. That was a good thing, and I'll carry that lesson for the rest of my life. The paid-time off policy is relatively generous, at least if you're coming in from other entry-level jobs.

Cons

The management, especially the middle management, tends toward being awful. It's a truism that turnover in mental health is extremely high, but my supervisors seemed to have embraced this fact and invest absolutely nothing in employee retention. I worked at one clinic for over a year, and I do not recall one instance of my boss saying something to the effect of "good job." You will work long days and be in tough situations, and nobody in authority will ever notice. It's easy to skate by being by marginally competent in this company, but nobody cares if you're actually trying. My above statement applies in both clinical and residential settings. As a counselor in a house, I once had both the house manager and the administrator disappear for three straight days. The house was supposed to be double-staffed and I worked alone the whole time. There was a lot of other sordid things that went on with that disappearance. Suffice it to say the work environment can be toxic. You will never be trained properly. My training as Walk-In Coordinator was virtually nil; I basically had to make up how to do my job on the spot. As you can imagine, this can be very stressful, especially when you find yourself in a crisis situation. The pay is low. This shouldn't be a surprise, as it's a non-profit. It's even worse if you have a relevant degree, though. As a secretary, I made slightly less than most of the Masters level clinicians, many of whom had mountains of student debt for their degree. God forbid you ever find yourself in a dangerous or traumatic situation. Somebody tried to kill themselves in front of me and I was never debriefed or spoken to. Thanks for weeks of sleepless nights and nightmares, Luke-Dorf. At least you got me to go back to therapy. Finally, and this is probably a given, the work is hard. You work with difficult individuals, many of whom will get on your nerves, but more of whom will just make you feel depressed. I had days where I'd hide in the bathroom and cry, and I think of myself as a tough guy. This would be true at any company like this, but best to be prepared.

Advice to Management

Take some time to appreciate your employees. Small gestures do actually count for something, especially when it comes from your immediate supervisor and not just some mass e-mail.

Educational

Current Employee - House Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - House Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

Room for personal growth. Lots of education opportunities. Respectful. Not too many meetings at my job level compared to other similar positions at similar companies. Everyone I work with is committed to a job well done.

Cons

Dealing with the PSRB, the government, money, and the usual issue of social services. The PSRB and the field of mental health feel like they are tragically behind the times in what we know about populations of people in other supported service fields.

Advice to Management

I would like a stronger movement towards supporting people to actually develop skills to re-enter the community and move away from the warehousing model of mental health. I pray for support and wisdom to the leadership of L-D as they choose a new leader in the wake of Howard's unexpected demise.

Fun to work at, but can be very political

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

Small, family feel for a company that size. Lots of paid time off. Good opportunities for growth.

Cons

Poor middle management at some locations. Each house and program are very different to work at. Promotions are usually based on how much your boss likes you are and not related to actual work.

Advice to Management

Consistent and clear job expectations would make a big difference

8. A place to work.

Pros

I can do homework on graveyard shifts.

Cons

The hours are difficult to work.

RSS Feed </> Embed