Luke-Dorf

Educational

Current Employee - House Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - House Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Luke-Dorf

Pros

Room for personal growth. Lots of education opportunities. Respectful. Not too many meetings at my job level compared to other similar positions at similar companies. Everyone I work with is committed to a job well done.

Cons

Dealing with the PSRB, the government, money, and the usual issue of social services. The PSRB and the field of mental health feel like they are tragically behind the times in what we know about populations of people in other supported service fields.

I would like a stronger movement towards supporting people to actually develop skills to re-enter the community and move away from the warehousing model of mental health. I pray for support and wisdom to the leadership of L-D as they choose a new leader in the wake of Howard's unexpected demise.

"It opened my eyes in a good way, but I would never do this again."

Current Employee - Walk-In Coordinator in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Walk-In Coordinator in Portland, OR

I have been working at Luke-Dorf full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a good learning experience because I got to see how a whole segment of society lived that I spent most of my life oblivious to. That was a good thing, and I'll carry that lesson for the rest of my life.

The paid-time off policy is relatively generous, at least if you're coming in from other entry-level jobs.

Cons

The management, especially the middle management, tends toward being awful. It's a truism that turnover in mental health is extremely high, but my supervisors seemed to have embraced this fact and invest absolutely nothing in employee retention. I worked at one clinic for over a year, and I do not recall one instance of my boss saying something to the effect of "good job." You will work long days and be in tough situations, and nobody in authority will ever notice. It's easy to skate by being by marginally competent in this company, but nobody cares if you're actually trying.

My above statement applies in both clinical and residential settings. As a counselor in a house, I once had both the house manager and the administrator disappear for three straight days. The house was supposed to be double-staffed and I worked alone the whole time. There was a lot of other sordid things that went on with that disappearance. Suffice it to say the work environment can be toxic.

You will never be trained properly. My training as Walk-In Coordinator was virtually nil; I basically had to make up how to do my job on the spot. As you can imagine, this can be very stressful, especially when you find yourself in a crisis situation.

The pay is low. This shouldn't be a surprise, as it's a non-profit. It's even worse if you have a relevant degree, though. As a secretary, I made slightly less than most of the Masters level clinicians, many of whom had mountains of student debt for their degree.

God forbid you ever find yourself in a dangerous or traumatic situation. Somebody tried to kill themselves in front of me and I was never debriefed or spoken to. Thanks for weeks of sleepless nights and nightmares, Luke-Dorf. At least you got me to go back to therapy.

Finally, and this is probably a given, the work is hard. You work with difficult individuals, many of whom will get on your nerves, but more of whom will just make you feel depressed. I had days where I'd hide in the bathroom and cry, and I think of myself as a tough guy. This would be true at any company like this, but best to be prepared.

Take some time to appreciate your employees. Small gestures do actually count for something, especially when it comes from your immediate supervisor and not just some mass e-mail.

Fun to work at, but can be very political

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Luke-Dorf

Pros

Small, family feel for a company that size. Lots of paid time off. Good opportunities for growth.

Cons

Poor middle management at some locations. Each house and program are very different to work at. Promotions are usually based on how much your boss likes you are and not related to actual work.

Consistent and clear job expectations would make a big difference

A place to work.

I have been working at Luke-Dorf

Pros

I can do homework on graveyard shifts.

Cons

The hours are difficult to work.