Lumber Liquidators

Be The First To
Add Photos

Lumber Liquidators President, CEO, & Director Robert M. Lynch

Robert M. Lynch

If you have seen the movie "OFFICE SPACE" .......

Asm I (Current Employee)
De Pere, WI

I have been working at Lumber Liquidators full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou can make good money working there in a manager position.

ConsMetrics, metrics and yet more metrics. Then, when you are not sure... they have a metric for that too! I have been with L.L for over 6 years, Everything is driven by metrics. I get the purpose. But you will be bludgeoned every day when you don't make a metric. on top of all of your daily obligations and customers. You are expected to make a minimum of 30 (I am sure it will go up again. It started at 10 about a year ago) out going calls to NEW customers EVERY day. And they schedule you an extra 1/2 hour after closing to make sure you get the calls done. So welcome to the team and thanks for volunteering to be our new marketing department! If you don't like telemarketing this will not be your cup of tea. They seem to come out with a new metric once a week. The stores are WAY under staffed. Trying to compete with Menard's and Lowe's by basically being open 8-7 every day. The stores are staffed with 3 people - THAT'S IT! And when someone quits, it takes 3 months to fill the position. This leaves 2 people to fill 70 hour work week. They use stupid marketing slogans like "we have a lean staff to save money" . Well, if you have a family, you won't when your are done. Or they won't recognize you when they do see you. If you decide work for them. Get everything in writing. They always over promise and never deliver! Also, get ALL the money you can upfront. Because you won't see it after that. In 6 years I have gotten 1 raise. the new mantra is "you get a commission. so sell more... you get more! AKBA!!" If you are promised a chance to promote upwards.. don't count on it. I have had 2 new store managers. I have trained them both!! I have yet to get an opportunity to interview for my own store. They have filled 10 positions in my region. I have never even got a thanks for applying, but we went this way letter! This is despite the fact that I (alone) accounted for over 45% of the stores sales last year. I am currently the #1 or 2 ASM1 in my region. Upper management : doesn't exist. Glorified babysitters and cheerleaders for the company. If you make plan, they don't care about anything else. They feel that nothing needs to be addressed as long as the store makes its numbers. I have had 3 employees complain about the store manager. All 3 have quit because of how he runs the store and treats them. All three have gone to the regional and NOTHING was ever been done. One regional said he "he didn't have time for piss-ant problems!".

Advice to Senior Managementadd some employees. four per store is a good number. Maybe you will get it when your longest tenured employee in the field is 5 years! stop giving your Store managers all the money and incentives. If you are not going to give raises. how about stock options? The managers get it. At least the employees would still have a vested interest in making sure the company does well. Quit being so darn cheap! I got a stupid block of wood (Red oak no less) for 5 years of service! THANKS!! Oh, and how about a contest with less than 60 lines of "how to qualify". Also, ones that don't require me to be employed for 1 year after winning or you have to PAY IT BACK!? Or, go back to how it was 4 years ago. It was a much more fun company before it went public and we lost our identity.

Disappointing

Management Team (Former Employee)
Toano, VA

I worked at Lumber Liquidators full-time

ProsBenefits are very good and the overall experience with working with some very hard working and dedicated employees who get the job done has been fantastic. The work there has a potential to be really good if the company concentrated as much on its employees as it does on being successful.

ConsThere is a false sense of security there. The Management in the warehouses are always looking to make an example out of someone with a write up or termination. The employees work long days and weeks up to 12 hours and as many as 2-3 months at a time with maybe a day off. The Temps who work there are not respected but yet are a large part of the success in the company growth. The management it not always fully truthful if cornered with facts of the truth and will quickly move to cover their tracks up to the point of terminating their own if needed. The company is not all bad but a few bad seeds have made it a bad experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into what is really going on with how your lower management is running things. There are violations that have been committed. Your HR department needs a face lift and needs to really look at not just the needs of the company but also the needs of the employees who made the company what it is today. It's ashame because it could be a really great place to work but there are a few rogue managers/supervisors in your management team that are ruining it.

Lumber Liquidators, where your efforts are overshadowed by random efforts elsewhere

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Claymont, DE

I have been working at Lumber Liquidators full-time for more than a year

ProsDecent amount of money in a high volume store as an ASM. Standing for 10 hours is the mandatory though, with no breaks, but they will clock you out on paper if you work too many hours

ConsTHEY DO NOT PROMOTE WITHIN. I am not saying that from personal experience i witnessed it multiple multiple times. Earn a GM with a better company before you come here.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting the person who threatens to quit or the person that managed a small shoe store 3 years ago.

overall good company to work for

I have been working at Lumber Liquidators full-time for more than a year

ProsMonthly Bonus, company in early growth stages with lots of opportunity for advancement, small company with a family owned atmoshere, great hours for a retail environment

ConsSmall staff to hold down expenses sometimes very overwhelming,

company gives you a chance to work your way up

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lumber Liquidators full-time for more than 3 years

Prospay, recognition, benefits, open communication,bonuses, contests

Consshort staffed soetimes, long hours

Great money if you don't want to have a personal life

Store Manager (Former Employee)
New Cumberland, PA

I worked at Lumber Liquidators full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat money for the manager, but the company expects you to be available 24/7. A retail store manager can easily expect to make 70 - 80,000 per year with bonus.

ConsAll stores are under staffed for the work required. A manager is expected to be available 24/7 and there are restrictions on when you can use your paid time off. I had 5 weeks and fought to get 4 weeks of my time. They don't allow rollover or to pay out the balance. Use it or lose it. Everyone does everything...sell the customer, load the custome, unload the tractor trailer deliveries, inventory the warehouse, clean the toilets, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop looking at metrics and pay attention to the customer. Help your personnel in the stores because without them you can't make your big paychecks.

Great if you are hired as a manager

I have been working at Lumber Liquidators

ProsGood upper management. Regional managers do very little

ConsHire from outside for management. Promised opportunity to move up but doesn't happen

awesome

Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Lumber Liquidators full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLove everything about the company

ConsI have nothing negative to say

Great Money , Poor Management

Asm I (Former Employee)
Claymont, DE

I worked at Lumber Liquidators

ProsPay great, free healthcare , stock options

ConsPoor middle management,not getting credit for job done well

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow what employees do work, managers keep getting credit for what Asm and sales employees do

Quality Company

Fairfield, NJ

I have been working at Lumber Liquidators

ProsGreat compensation for Managers, and lots of autonomy.

ConsNo support from any level of manager beyond yourself, everything done through a general email and at any moment guidelines and SOPs change or are blurred.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd support between stores and regional level, or add employees, there are too many responsibilities to achieve and be successful in sales. There are only some many things people can do in a day.

Worked for Lumber Liquidators? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lumber Liquidators reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lumber Liquidators CEO Robert M. Lynch. All 35 reviews posted anonymously by Lumber Liquidators employees.