Lumber Liquidators

Be The First To
Add Photos

Lumber Liquidators President, CEO, & Director Robert M. Lynch

Robert M. Lynch

Great job if you hate being at home and have no personal life.

ASM2 (Current Employee)

ProsOne on one customer sales
    Small box store, few employees
    Potential to make decent bonus, if goals are not inflated

ConsNo personal time
    Almost impossible to take vaction time.
    Hourly Rate below competitors
    Management focused on shipped dollars as opposed to employee morale

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to ask you associates how you can help them do their job more efficiently, in a small box retail, it is illogical to delegate all tasks rather than get hands on from a management standpoint.

It is easy to get discouraged and burned out considering the hours worked and mandatory end of month 7 day work weeks. Making asking and being granted vacation time without a shrug of the shoulders or the brush off only serves to aggravate not motivate your employees. Most people work to live not live to work, especially when gratitude is not reciprocated.

Branch Manager

Store Manager (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGood pay, good benefits. Ability to learn high paced retail management.

ConsLong work week. Job comes with a lot of stress. Product quality is not the best. Very little time off, store is open all year.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive credit where credit is due!

Great Pay, Large Work Load

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Pay, hours are not late night, great insurance and great co-workers

ConsLoads, Loads and more Loads of hours on Salary workers without help from other stores. A new sale every week, including changing all tags and signage without allowing hourly overtime.

Advice to Senior Management"Actually" listen to the voices of the store employees and not what their DM says. The DM's lie to cover their tails.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very demanding job good for young with no attachments

ProsGood compensation and advancement if you are willing to move

Consno advancement if unwilling to move and can be very demanding

Money is nice, has potential to be a great company

ASM1 (Current Employee)

ProsWhen the store is doing well the bonus checks are nice, otherwise living paycheck to pay check. Also there is plenty of room to grow within the company if you want. Insurance is awesome, better than any other place I have worked. It is fast paced most of the time, and if not there is always something to be done.

ConsHours aren't really great if you have a family. Most of the time you are working 10-11 hour days during the week. Unless you are making the schedule, weekends are pretty much mandatory. They also run on a skeleton crew so if you are sick or sometimes want a vacation good luck. The corporate side of the company seems out of touch with the stores.

The customer care department and call center don't know what needs to be sold with the product. I encounter many orders that don't have everything required to complete your project, or even keep the warranty on the floor, and trying to sell something that customer needs for their project after they had paid for it can be rather difficult at times. They also don't care about company policy. I have lost probably $100,000 in sales because of product that they told the customer they could bring it back after the time frame for returns, or price adjustments after the time period that the customer has to get one if their floor goes on sale.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire on at least a part timer to every store to help balance out hours and train your corporate employees better. Go paperless, less signatures for the customer. Get tablets for every employee to make it easier to assist customers on the sales floor, or if you are on the phone in the warehouse. Redistribute the regions and divide those into districts so that upper management can better manage their stores.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great if you're a store manager, terrible for everyone below...

ASM1 (Current Employee)

ProsPeople can get promoted pretty quickly... if you're a regional manager's golden boy. Work can be fun and rewarding if you have a good store manager that likes to get his hands dirty .

ConsComplete lack of training beyond a few mandatory videos to run the forklift and monthly "huddles". And because of understaffing and a terrifyingly HUGE workload no time to do so unless you're a store manager and you get to go to "LLU" , a training seminar in some state far away. The POS system is slow, archaic, and totally in- efficient. Regional managers are the "enforcers" and have no relationship with the stores outside of emails and hour long visits where people get fired for not filling out a piece of paperwork or making 30-40 phonecalls to new customers even when they only have 1 person working by themselves ALL DAY LONG, open to close, all by themselves. The installers that are associated with the stores in my region are TERRIBLE, and we get financially punished because of their incompetence when customers return product even though we wrote the order based on what they said to get. The bonus's promised have been WAAAAY underwhelming, and that's because they inflate the sales goals to above 35% over what the store did last year. And it's done on a store by store basis, and upper management has an influence over those numbers, so if you're on their craplist they screw you. Did I mention that the hours can be rediculous too: at my store I was forced to work a 58 hour work week because of the lack of staff, and I make less than $13 an hour. You don't have any sick time, you can't leave for any family emergencies, the company doesn't follow FMLA guidelines because they don't have to (allegedly), and they don't follow OSHA guidelines either. I have never seen a back support strap that someone hasn't brought themselves, and we all lift hundreds and hundreds of pounds of boxes of wood daily.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop screwing over employees out of a real bonus because your numbers are over inflated. Tell regional managers to do the right thing when it comes to staffing stores and get some employees and/or temps when the site is understaffed instead of coming down hard when they need help. Create a second LLU for non store managers so they can sell your product properly and safely. Completely over haul the POS system: your customers AND your employees hate having to sign 3 papers for every transaction.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worst company that I have ever worked for

ProsThere are no pros to this horrible work environment

ConsDon't let you take vacation but won't pay you for it either.

Fair and Balanced

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsVery fun company to work for. Great benifits some of the best health insurance, stock options. The teams are very energetic great peer motivation and dynamic. You can have a lot of fun working for this company they do a lot to keep you motivated and build excitement. Great values and executive team.

ConsIt is retail. You will work Holidays and weekends of course. The pay for Store Managers is not that great. The base pay was good when you didnt have so many stores in one area so all stores were large volume. The company is expanding at such a large rate that there are so many stores, that it drives down store volume. The company has not yet expressed a plan to increase the base pay to offset this. The stores are very small teams so although you will get vacation time, chances are you will never actually get to take it.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the base pay for store managers to offset the company growth that causes a decrease in bonus.

Strong company with continued growth.

Pros-Great pay (best I've seen in retail)
    -Inexpensive health benefits, 401k, and more than ample vacation time.
    -Fast growing company, lots of opportunity for advancement if qualified.
    -Strong leadership from CEO on down.

Cons-Skelton Crew Style staffing, gets stressful at times. Worse if store is down a person for long periods of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd regional employees to help cover stores that are short staffed. Either that or add part time associates to even the smallest volume stores. I would even go as far as to allow us to hire Temps for the warehouse during the busiest times of year.

Great company

ProsGreat benefits, one plan is free for you and the family. 401K match is offered. Without a degree, this job will pay you.

ConsRetail hours, weekends a must. Not a lot of employees per store makes taking time off difficult. But thats retail sometimes. Call center is the other side of this coin.

Worked for Lumber Liquidators? Contribute to the Community!