Lumber Liquidators

79 reviews filtered by
2.5
Lumber Liquidators President, CEO, & Director Robert M. Lynch
Robert M. Lynch

Pros
  • There's a lot of autonomy and freedom, dress is always casual and there the company is growing so there is a lot of opportunity to move upwards (in 4 reviews)

• Good benefits (generous PTO policy that scales quickly by seniority, inexpensive insurance, standard 401k, strong discount on merchandise) (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management cultivates an "in your face" underdog attitude (in 6 reviews)

• Long hours, hands-on training, lean staffing in stores, work 6-7 days a week (in 4 reviews)

1. Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Colchester, VT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Colchester, VT

I worked at Lumber Liquidators full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good support system with other store managers

Cons

Long hours, not enough staff

Assistant Manger

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Jackson, MS

I have been working at Lumber Liquidators full-time

Pros

Decent hourly pay, decent bonus payout when sales plan is met, great benefits, and paid time off, helping customers

Cons

Sales plans are so high its unrealistic for your market, that being said, bonuses are almost non existent. You earn a lot of PTO but cant use it because the company doesn't allow you to hire enough associates to cover the store when somebody is on vacation, also there is a high turn over rate. Quarterly sales events where the company requires extended hours, which has proven time and time again to be completely pointless. 7 day work week, again, completely pointless for thistype of retail. I could go on and on here...

Advice to Management

Hire more emoloyees, quit hiring your buddies fromother companies to be regional managers and VP's and hire from within

3. A great company to work for.

I have been working at Lumber Liquidators full-time

Pros

Lumber Liquidators's business model is well presented to all employees. It is a fast pace environment. Talent is always recognized and rewarded. Many chances of promotion. Amazing benefits.

Cons

Long retail hours. Every weekend is spent working. Average 45+ hours a week.

Rampant wage theft, bullying and petty fiefdoms

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Lumber Liquidators full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The most positive thing I'm willing to say about the company is that they do not physically beat their employees.

Cons

To paraphrase a few fun times:

Here are your job requirements. They take more than 40 hours to complete. You are hourly and not allowed overtime. Figure it out.

These are my favorite employees. They can schedule PTO whenever they want. You need to follow this 12+ step process to get time off for one day a month in advance. As you complete each step another arbitrary step will be added. No you can't have a day off.

"I don't give a **** what you have planned." It was Christmas Eve. I was already there after 5.

I wouldn't work here

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Lumber Liquidators full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've enjoyed building my team.
    some of the people I work with
    When I drive home everyday

Cons

1.) you have no life
     2.) you're never working hard enough according to upper management
    3.) you have vacation time but you can never take it. they don't pay it out or roll it over
     4.) really high turn over rate
     5.) clear favoritism to people with Circuit city in their background even if they shouldn't be in there position. this includes upper management.

this used to be a good place to work. I've watched it take a turn for the worse as the company sales started to fall in most part to poor choices by upper management and sandy money drying up. they have slowly forced out all the managers that made it the billion dollar company it is. I would strongly tell anyone looking to work here to ask a current store manager what their work load is. ask them what kind of support they get when they are short staffed which is most of the time. read some of the other reviews on here and you'll see a reoccurring theme. The upper management here does not have it together. they use and abuse you and then move on. they are in a constant state of hiring and rebuilding due to the turn over because of this.

Advice to Management

you have a lot of good people that are going to go. I don't talk to a single store manager that is happy and not actively look to get out. we are down because of poor choices made by the top not us. we've had a few calls now since the 60min hit with Rob and we get make sales and fight every return. Are you joking? Really? How about I'm sorry I put you all in this position because you did. get ready to lose a lot of people because they are looking

7. great company have got 2 friends jobs in the company

I have been working at Lumber Liquidators

Pros

compensation great, awesome growth opportunity.

Cons

keep you busy with work load. alway pushing you for more

Advice to Management

keep working with the guys in the stores and growing the company

8. Great place to work!!!

I have been working at Lumber Liquidators

Pros

Great bonus program and work environment

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about LL

It looked like a great job, great benefits, PTO, and flexible hours.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Lumber Liquidators (More than a year)

Pros

The health benefits will surely be classified as Cadillac insurance. Affordable doctors visits were a reality.

Cons

Personal time off may be a benefit but you can never really take it in a smaller store, especially when the turnover is so high two people are expected to cover all the hours until the manager (2nd person) gets around to hiring someone. You never have a weekend off. There is allot of finger pointing. The blame game is rampant. No matter how much you do its never enough. Saw honest hard working guys canned so management could place their cronies in a job. Get ready to be "coached or written up for the most ridiculous things. I have had personal papers. I.e. doctors excuse etc left on the sales counter for days as well as customer credit apps. Don't sign a coaching form either without your own signed copy in hand. Information can and will be added to it after the fact.

Advice to Management

For all the money the company makes, treat your employees with respect and pay them a living wage. Get off of the crony system. Stop having employees lie to customers. It DOES happen. Silent witness is a joke.

10. Underpaid, undervalued, overworked

Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Lumber Liquidators full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will benefit from the great health plans, rate of pay is better if you're in a higher volume store ASM1 or SM. Coworkers are awesome, personal responsibility.

Cons

Regional managers are overpaid babysitters, stores pitted against each other and run by mostly spineless and less than educated chumps. You will go far if you are a brown noser. If you can tolerate being forced into overtime, not having a home life, micro-managing, red tape, threats, being overworked and underpaid, belittled by self centered holier than though upper management, being rated and favored, seeing your crap coworkers praised before you because of favoritism, being understaffed, having no support from anyone for anything, and having to sell inferior faulty products, you will love it. You will be asked to go above and beyond, when you do you are not rewarded and are quickly forgotten. The community is toxic anymore.

Management is chosen based off favoritism and not actually knowledge, experience, ability, or skill.

Advice to Management

Loosen the reigns, be supportive, listen, drop the corporate firewall, quit acting like a babysitter, quit squeezing the life from your employees, and actually try. Regional managers literally sit at home, copy and paste SAP numbers, quotes, and belittle and threaten people all day while taking home the largest percent coming out of your region. We're better off without corporate babysitters.

11. overall I found working for Lumber Liquidators to be a disappointing experience.

I have been working at Lumber Liquidators full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

chances for advancement are pretty good. Lumber Liquidators offers excellent heath coverage at very inexpensive rates. Store Manager compensation is above average.

Cons

Often felt that the effort I put forth was never good enough. Upper management is constantly trying to reinvent them selves giving one the impression that there is no clear vision.

Advice to Management

set up an anonymous hotline for suggestions so that you can get honest feed back from the employees of the company not the hype you get from conference calls