Lumeris

www.lumeris.com

Lumeris Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

W. Michael Long

I drank the Kool-aid but now it's turning sour

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Maryland Heights, MO

ProsFor the most part, the people are really great. There are a lot of smart, talented, hard working people at this company. Also, I still believe/hope that the product and services have the potential to have a significant positive impact on the way health care is delivered.

ConsMy biggest complaint is that I think we are creating a terrible company culture under the guise of being a scrappy start up that requires all hands on deck at all times. People don't take their vacations, but, if they do, others don't think twice about interupting them. The CEO is establishing a culture where everyone is expected to be available at all times. People are not being recognized or rewarded for hard, often choosing work over their families. When the CEO does recognize how hard everyone is working it isn't a "thank you" it's announced as if it's an expected part of the job. It goes beyond just expecting hard work, and I think that even after we do establish a solid foot print in the market, this culture will be difficult to reverse. We also don't take the time to celebrate accomplishments, which I think would help keep morale up.

Strategy is so all over the place that it is difficult to keep up. Our executive team is full of smart, talented people, but they've become yes men to the CEO. Everyone will be having a good debate on a conference call, but as soon as the CEO joins the call the conversation changes to "oh yes, that's brilliant" and then we're off in some new crackpot direction. People are criticized for taking actions that aren't consistent with the current strategy, but, really, who can keep up with the ever changing strategy?

Salaries are only competitive in certain areas of the company. Other benefits such as raises, bonuses, and stock options are inconsistently granted. Bonuses are kind of a joke because it doesn't appear that you can ever get 100% of your target bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet an example from the top. Work like a team. Provide input to the CEO if the new strategy doesn't make sense, or at least do a better job of communicating the new strategy. Standardize compensation, bonuses, and benefits. Acknowledge and reward your teams for working hard instead of acting like working 24/7 isn't extraordinary. Appreciate your people. They're good, talented people, but they are burning out fast.

Above Board Pay, Unsubsidized Benefits, Poor Work-Life Balance, No Bonus/Profit Sharing

IT (Former Employee) Maryland Heights, MO

ProsPay Grade was 20% higher than my previous employer, Technical Teams are widely versed, well experienced, and have a general camraderie amongst peers.

ConsManagement was very rarely competent; promoted for retention, not based on talent or skill. Health benefits were 200% more expensive than my previous employer (nearly $400 a month for something that most companies offer for $1-200 a month). Worked 8-5 M-F and often 2-4h after hours 4-10 times a month, uncompensated. Low work ethic and high work ethic employees treated the same; no raises/promotions unless you threaten to quit. ZERO training budget.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees; would you like being treated the same way you're treating the people who make money/keep you from spending it? Profit sharing and Benefits cost reduction would be a huge step forward.

Sinking ship with a great mission

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat mission. Flexible working hours

ConsCorrupt HR
    Dysfunctional management that believes in intimidation
    Nepotism runs high in this company. You can be a VP from individual contributor if you are a buddy with upper mgmt
    No work life balance
    Health benefits are joke
    No clear vision

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace HR and CTO
    Provide clear vision and communication
    Treat employee with respect
    Decent benefits

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Passion and potential but not friendly environment.

Anonymous (Former Employee) Maryland Heights, MO

ProsGreat mission, innovative, great for health plan experience

ConsAll emphasis placed on software side of company which is unstable. Health Plan has many talented employees but morale is terrible. Work/life balance is discouraged. Compensation is not competitive. Benefits are embarrassing.

Management by ADHD

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThere are some good people in staff and lower management positions that are great to work with. Salaries are competitive to generous, depending on the role. The basic concept behind Lumeris (changing the way health care is managed) is important and worthwhile. HR has made recent efforts to create some semblance of a company culture, but they are late to the game (and a little misguided)l.

ConsWhile the concept behind Lumeris is sound, the strategy and execution of same leave much to be desired. I was with the company for several years and marketing strategies were routinely scrapped and re-tooled every year. Management's ability to focus and execute has led to slower-than-expected growth, project delays and lost clients. Meanwhile, while upper management is chasing the latest shiny object, real needs that could improve the way employees do their job or the quality of information delivered to management are ignored. Systems that were recognized as woefully inadequate several years ago are still in place today with no plans for replacement. The executive team comes across as non-collaborative and often petty, with distinct silos existing throughout the company. There is a serious lack of accountability among upper management. Budgets are a running joke. Bonuses are paid regardless of company or personal performance. Incentive compensation plans are very poorly defined (if at all). Overall, it feels like a very mercenary environment, with a lot of management hopping on the wagon in the hopes of riding the company to a public offering and a big payday. Don't hold your breath.

Turnover is high, probably 20-25% annually. Involuntary terminations are frequent, as the company would rather part ways with a good employee whose job has changed and is no longer a perfect fit. Employee development is non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart and end with management accountability. In between, provide employees with the tools they need to do the job.

Exciting, rewarding place to work, but not for everyone

ProsFull of really smart, competitive and passionate people who are experts in their fields. Compensation is at least market average. The flexible schedules / work from home options really add to the work life balance. As with any start up, employees are not pigeon-holed into one set roles/responsibilities but instead expected to take on a wide range of responsibilities and often have to find their own network of individuals within the company to partner with to get things done.

I suspect many people would find this as a Con, but being an experienced professional coming from a huge company, I find this very liberating. Reading the other reviews out on this site, I do not really disagree with most of them (except the personal attacks) but rather I see many of the cons as opportunities and differences from working in a large, established bureaucracy where you are told exactly what to do and how to do it. Yes, management often changes direction and does not do a good job communicating, but I believe that is because everyone is moving very fast and trying to capture a big piece of a quickly emerging market. Yes, there are big personalities and many competing visions of what the company 'should' become. But again, I find this exciting and feel like I too have the ability to influence the direction of the company too. Yes, we are 'running hot' and there is a chance we may not make it to the finish line, but if we do we will have something exciting to show for all the hard work.

This is a great place to work for those who are confident in their ideas and willing to fight for what they believe is the right way to do things. This is not the company for those who would rather come to work every day knowing exactly what you are expected to do and slowly work their way up the corporate ladder.

ConsThe company is distributed across three geographies and there is a lack of interest in properly involving the two satellite offices in meetings or conversations. For example, video conferencing is rarely used and teleconferencing etiquette is non-existent; making it very hard for remote employees to contribute effectively in meetings. Too many decisions are made in the hallway or an office and never communicated to the organization.

Benefits are definitely not what you will get at a big company. Career paths are not clearly defined and promotions do not follow a regular process. There isn't much of a corporate culture or identify yet and many departments are silo-ed and feel more like clubs than teams.

HR does not have that much power to affect real change and it is unclear how much the employees will benefit if/when the company reaches its goal of becoming the market leader in helping to transform healthcare delivery in America.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and upfront with new employees to make sure they understand what they are getting into. Share more information to all employees about what it takes to be successful here. It doesn't have to be about doing x, y and z or about getting the next promotion. But whatever the criteria for success is, it should be clearly explained to all employees.

Most importantly though, I think this company needs to invest heavily in tele/video-conferencing technologies and processes/procedures. It is really tough to be a remote team member when most people are in a room together and everyone is talking at once. It is down right embarrassing, though, when the CEO is talking to a room full of fully engaged people in the home office and the other two offices are not able to participate (or even follow the conversation) because video conferencing is not working properly .

Great company mission and company culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Maryland Heights, MO

ProsGreat company plan
    Nice work/life balance
    Career advancement and development opportunities
    Pay rate is competitive
    Flexible work hours

ConsHealth plan is not good

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a strong mentorship program
    Reduce employee turn over
    Hold monthly town hall meeting (Communicate what going on more)

Sad to say, the negative reviews are accurate

ProsThere are some extremely talented people with a great passion for the company mission. Even the most seasoned professional will learn something new every day from colleagues. The pay is above average and fringe perks (if you are in the right group) are quite nice.

ConsThe positive reviews written in a couple days in February have all come from HR, the staff was instructed to write them by their executive.

The CEO is extraordinarily difficult to work with. He is uninterested in collaboration or teamwork, he wants his ever changing vision carried out and he wants a legacy. I've never seen such unwarranted and baseless narcissism before, in his time with Lumeris he's failed to put together a team that can execute an acceptable piece of software.

The person running development came from finance and has no IT experience. It's like watching children play house, but it's adults playing "startup software company". It's shameful the board has been taken advantage of for so long, I'm quite certain were the VC partner not related to the founder, the money would have stopped long ago.

The software is embarrassing. The metrics are buggy and the workflow and UI are dated and not well thought out. The software is so bad we try to make up for it with consulting ... which is unlikely to be successful given the mass turnover in that department. The demos are vaporware, we don't do half the things we claim to on our website. I think we could have hired some coders off craigslist and gotten better results over the past year. It's impossible to attract and retain good people with most of the management, processes, and benefits currently in place.

The work/family balance is awful, as many others have stated. No one is exaggerating, I've seen people come to work the day after a death in the family, work holidays and miss far too much family time because the CEO demands immediate turnaround on whatever his idea of the day is. His executives dare not say no, so that gets passed down the chain. What's worse is most of these ideas don't benefit the company in the end.

The 2014 benefits are the worst I have heard of in a very long time. You have the choice of a high deductible health plan or a PPO that costs $750 a month for a family, and still has a $2500 deductible and 5k out of pocket max per year. They used to match 100% up to 4% contributions for 401k, now they match 50% up to 8% and automatically change your contributions annually unless you proactively opt out each year.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up to the CEO. Go to the board, tell them what's really going on, and demand change. Leave if you won't be part of the solution.

A neat opportunity wasted

Middle Management (Current Employee) Maryland Heights, MO

ProsThe pay is OK and there is a cafeteria in the building. The rank and file employees are nice people.

ConsThe company took a nose dive when Mike Long took over as it's CEO a couple of years ago. Big ego, lack of focus, poor communication, not an inspirational leader. The products and services built under Mike's leadership are pathetic, except that the HMO (which he keeps his hands off) is decent. Ironically the HMO doesn't really use the Lumeris "solutions" that Lumeris claims in its vague marketing brochures. Mike is famous for drawing on white boards but the stuff he and his inner circle draw aren't rooted in reality. I feel like the company took a really neat opportunity and did absolutely nothing with it. Now my stock options are basically worthless.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe real, lose the ego, exercise true leadership. Consider selling the company while there is still something to sell in your HMO business. Good talent has left and many others are actively seeking to leave. And for God's sake kick Mike Long to the curb.

It's not good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsImmediate coworkers were good people. A lot of talent and intelligence among them. Pay was market rate.

ConsBenefits were awful, especially the health plan no matter how HR wanted to spin it. Other companies in the area of this size offer something better than an employee paid 100+ dollars a month for a minimum 2500 deductible.

People were openly praised for working excessive hours. While management wanted people to believe that they saw it as dedication, they saw it as saving money from having to staff adequately. Hence no attempts on their part to address the churn.

Inadequate staffing, burnout, high turnover (most people lasted less than a year(!) in engineering), no development methodology, conflicting processes and procedures, overloaded environments, out of control project planning, local applicant pool aware of reputation.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing will improve without action on your part.

Worked for Lumeris? Contribute to the Community!