Luminant

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mac McFarland

Luminant Engineering Intern at Comanche Peak Nuclear Power Plant during the Summer of 2013

Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Glen Rose, TX

ProsThe program was very well structured. Employees are, more often than not, more than willing to take time out of their day to assist you with your project or in any other way. Lastly, the "four 10's" schedule (4 days a week, 10 hours a day) is very nice because you get a 3-day weekend every week.

ConsThe initial computer training is mind-numbingly boring. Also, the nature of nuclear power requires jumping through a lot of procedural hoops in order to get anything done, which is frustrating at times as your progress is often slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost managers are more than competent and do a good job mediating between their employees and their superiors.

Good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsFriendly, nice people
    Work-life balance
    Some innovation and interesting projects
    CEO (Mac) is sharp and straight-forward; highly trusted

ConsSupport groups could use higher caliber of talent
    The good old boy club ruins everything - company will never progress without getting rid of the good old boy club
    Favoritism - promotions and compensation are based on who is friends outside of work rather than talent and impact; policies are broken for friends

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing favorites; get rid of the good old boy club. Mac has the company on the right track - needs to keep pushing.

optimism failed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prospositive outlook. small town opportunities. advancement opportunities.

Consfailure of safety culture. in denial that 70's tactics still work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTexas kids make it work today but east coast kids will make it work tomorrow.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging and interesting work

ProsDaily variety of work with good opportunities to learn different things. Salary is good, bonuses are good. Work / life balance is good. The company values and respects familial responsibilities. The company, as a whole, has a lot of potential for growth and improvement, which is an inviting challenge.

ConsPoor communication from the top to site management and from site management to the front line. Poor communication between disciplines and groups. Working in 'silos' is accepted behavior even though this has proven to be a fatal flaw in the system. Knowledge is power, so information is almost hoarded as a way to protect professional territory.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut people in management that are qualified, instead of 'well liked'. Hold people accountable. Raise expectations for performance rather than going with the lowest common denominator. Discourage competition between groups, shifts, and disciplines. Let's try to row the company boat as a team. Above all else: Communicate, communicate, communicate.

Most toxic work environment I've ever encountered

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are some wonderful employees at this company and I enjoyed learning from and working with them. The pay was reasonable, the bonuses paid every year and there was a history of positive movement sideways as well as up, providing promotional opportunities. Good training opportunities were made available.

ConsIn many cases, the inmates are running the asylum. A few of the leaders who have been there a long time are mean spirited and punitive, making an otherwise good job absolutely unbearable. Luminant/EFH is a highly political environment, so you have to be ready to deal with frequently playing politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership in the early years following the reprivatization were deplorable. I know there have been some changes since this, so hopefully it is getting better now.

Good company handicapped by debt and lack of leadership

Lean Analyst (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

Prosgreat location, good benefits, interesting & dynamic industry, wonderful work/life balance

ConsPay is below market, HR has more say in your compensation than your manager which makes it impossible to really change your compensation without leaving the firm, too many people sitting in stagnant positions leads to difficulty in seeing a career progression

Advice to Senior ManagementRedo HR policies to attract and retain talent, force movement,

I was an intern for them

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay and they will take care of you. There is plenty of opportunity for training.

ConsSometimes it is very slow.

Great people but company can't adapt to changing business conditions.

Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Pros- Job security - people routinely stay with the company for many years, even decades.
    - Decent bonuses - annual incentives are higher than I've experienced elsewhere.
    - Room to move around - People here, engineers especially, often transfer within Luminant to gain higher pay and improve their skills.
    - Predicatble - except for certain careers, or during (rare) unexpected events, the daily routine is very manageable and predictable.

Cons- Severe lack of innovation and adaptation to a changing marketplace.
    - Technology is stuck in the past: don't expect to be using a version of MS Office less than 4 years old. The same goes for most other business-related technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementMeasure the right things. A nearly bankrupt company that still beats most or all of its key metrics each year clearly isn't measuring the things that correlate to the bottom line.

Good company to work for and Good oppurnity for advancement,

Employee (Current Employee) Monticello, TX

ProsSaftey means alot to the company. Lots of friendly people to work with and eager to teach what they know.

ConsPlants are getting old and money is tight now due to natural gas prices being so low.

Advice to Senior ManagementHang in there gas prices are going to go back up very soon.

Great experience and lots of learning opportunity.

Environmental Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsI do not have work experience at all of the Luminant sites so can only speak for a few. The first pro that comes to mind is that the predominantly more experienced staff makes for an abundance of knowledge and learning opportunity (if you take advantage of it is up to you). More experienced staff also leads to young advancement opportunities as more and more employees retire. Additionally, Movement within the different work groups is highly encouraged (operations, maintenance, engineering, environmental) for anybody who may want to explore other departments. Good benefits.

ConsThe most obvious (potential) con is the financial situation of the company...could be a pro, con, or neutral depending on how it plays out. Also, inflation steady yearly salary increases are hard to come by.

Worked for Luminant? Contribute to the Community!