Luminant

Updated October 20, 2014
3.4

Mac McFarland

Powering Texas....Safely

I have been working at Luminant

Pros

Company had a family feel.
    Very transparent in all matters of company business.

Cons

Challenged in implementation of new software. With each launch, challenges exist.

As a deregulated company operating in what can seem like a regulated environment, providing firm direction and a long term plan is crucial to long term success.

Nuclear Power Plant Engineering Intern (Civil)

Current Intern - Civil Intern in Glen Rose, TX
    Current Intern - Civil Intern in Glen Rose, TX

I have been working at Luminant as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very fun experience, opened my eyes on the vast world of nuclear industry. Was able to explore all over the plant, including the control room (it's cool). Very fun experience if you're looking for a good internship in a plant. Fun training courses as well.

Cons

Wasn't qualified to make any decision or hold any responsibilities due to regulations, aka was mostly doing 'grunt work'.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Train Operator in Tatum, TX
    Current Employee - Train Operator in Tatum, TX

I have been working at Luminant full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

friendly co-workers, good benefits, good pay

Cons

shift work is always a pain anywhere you work, and working holidays

Not a bad company just poorly ran. Overall glad I left when I did.

Former Employee - Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Luminant full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with. great work life balance and flex schedule. Had the best boss I've ever worked for in my career at this company.

Cons

Really demotivational work environment. Company going down the drain and it showed around the office. Several years we went without raises due to company debt. The outsourced all the IT without notice one day. Company perks began to be taken away. Eventually declared bankruptcy.

The Flintstones bought the Jetsons, and now they're broken.

I have been working at Luminant full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Overall, the field hands are a great bunch and do great work.

Cons

Management thinks lowly of everyone else. They don't ask us what our issues are and they don't communicate what is going on until changes have been made. There is no room for anyone that is not in their inner circle to advance. It is and always will be a "good-ole-boy" system, despite what they preach.

Do what you say you're going to do instead of giving a lot of lip service. Stop allowing managers to bully their people and firing some and rewarding others. Stop basing bonuses on things that don't help the business grow, but continue to line your own pockets.

Luminant Engineering Intern at Comanche Peak Nuclear Power Plant during the Summer of 2013

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Glen Rose, TX
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Glen Rose, TX

I worked at Luminant as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The program was very well structured. Employees are, more often than not, more than willing to take time out of their day to assist you with your project or in any other way. Lastly, the "four 10's" schedule (4 days a week, 10 hours a day) is very nice because you get a 3-day weekend every week.

Cons

The initial computer training is mind-numbingly boring. Also, the nature of nuclear power requires jumping through a lot of procedural hoops in order to get anything done, which is frustrating at times as your progress is often slow.

Most managers are more than competent and do a good job mediating between their employees and their superiors.

Good experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Luminant full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly, nice people
    Work-life balance
    Some innovation and interesting projects
    CEO (Mac) is sharp and straight-forward; highly trusted

Cons

Support groups could use higher caliber of talent
    The good old boy club ruins everything - company will never progress without getting rid of the good old boy club
    Favoritism - promotions and compensation are based on who is friends outside of work rather than talent and impact; policies are broken for friends

Stop playing favorites; get rid of the good old boy club. Mac has the company on the right track - needs to keep pushing.

Challenging and interesting work

I have been working at Luminant full-time

Pros

Daily variety of work with good opportunities to learn different things. Salary is good, bonuses are good. Work / life balance is good. The company values and respects familial responsibilities. The company, as a whole, has a lot of potential for growth and improvement, which is an inviting challenge.

Cons

Poor communication from the top to site management and from site management to the front line. Poor communication between disciplines and groups. Working in 'silos' is accepted behavior even though this has proven to be a fatal flaw in the system. Knowledge is power, so information is almost hoarded as a way to protect professional territory.

Put people in management that are qualified, instead of 'well liked'. Hold people accountable. Raise expectations for performance rather than going with the lowest common denominator. Discourage competition between groups, shifts, and disciplines. Let's try to row the company boat as a team. Above all else: Communicate, communicate, communicate.

optimism failed

I worked at Luminant full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

positive outlook. small town opportunities. advancement opportunities.

Cons

failure of safety culture. in denial that 70's tactics still work.

Texas kids make it work today but east coast kids will make it work tomorrow.

Most toxic work environment I've ever encountered

I worked at Luminant full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some wonderful employees at this company and I enjoyed learning from and working with them. The pay was reasonable, the bonuses paid every year and there was a history of positive movement sideways as well as up, providing promotional opportunities. Good training opportunities were made available.

Cons

In many cases, the inmates are running the asylum. A few of the leaders who have been there a long time are mean spirited and punitive, making an otherwise good job absolutely unbearable. Luminant/EFH is a highly political environment, so you have to be ready to deal with frequently playing politics.

The leadership in the early years following the reprivatization were deplorable. I know there have been some changes since this, so hopefully it is getting better now.