Lumos Labs Reviews

The Place to Be

Current Employee - Games Team in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Games Team in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time

Pros

I help work on the games team at Lumosity. It's a fantastic company with great values and goals; I could (and do) recommend it to anyone in a tech field. Leadership is very open and oriented toward your personal goals, from upper management to team leads. The company is always reaching for new directions and better processes as it grows. The atmosphere is creative and experimental, with an emphasis on user testing and iteration. Teamwork is close and empowering, and there's always something new and exciting to work on. One of the company's greatest strengths is the focus on team fit during the interview process; the results are highly effective groups that respect AND like each other. Benefits are insane, the facilities are great, and there's an overall sense of being appreciated for your passion.

Cons

This is a company for motivated adults. The great team culture and fun come with an understanding that you're working hard; slackers and paycheck collectors need not apply. This isn't a con for the right person - it means that Lumosity attracts some of the most talented and passionate people I've ever worked with. The hardest part of working here is the high quality bar for code and art. Because so many internal people are passionate about the product, it can sometimes take longer than you'd think to release a top-notch game or feature.

2. Great Perks, No Challenging / Fun Work

I have been working at Lumos Labs

Pros

- Unlimited PTO
    - Flexible work days
    - Kitchen, stocked food, drinks, wine, beer, mini bar

Cons

- Lacking vision / direction
    - No deadlines
    - Lazy atmosphere / attitudes
    - Decisions made behind closed doors

Solid career start fallen short

I worked at Lumos Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture is incredibly important to this company. They are working to create an inclusive group, so everyone can have fun at work.

Certain departments feel like playpens, and HR has to pick up the slack. It's often hard to gauge when recess is over and you should be getting back to work.

Cons

Sometimes you forget that you're working. I question the dedication of a some employees/departments. Some individuals put in 80 hour weeks while other certainly put in less than 20. It's easy to be lazy when you're given so much freedom.

I've been here for a year and I'm still loving every minute of it!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

TLDR: great culture, great work-life balance, awesome perks, great office location, lots of personal/career-growth, lots of opportunities.

I've grown so much as an engineer since joining Lumosity. I see noticeable improvement in my code month over month. The engineering culture here is so innovative and so amazing. We're always thinking of new ways of improving our development process and refactoring our code base. On the product side, as an engineer, I feel like my voice is always heard and this is definitely not the case with all tech companies. There's just so much room for personal growth.

If you're more product-oriented, the product teams always love hearing an engineer's perspective. If you love solving difficult problems, all of our engineers build shippable product from day 1 and we design and architect systems in small teams. Senior engineers and managers provide guidance when asked but they won't micromanage or step in. If you enjoy data-mining and analytics, we have an amazing analytics team that works with both the science team and product team to analyze data. I feel super excited and happy to go to work everyday!

Cons

the company is growing rapidly so there are/might be some growing pains, but i feel like we're dealing with them pretty well. We can probably work on our inter-team communication, but everyone is so friendly it's pretty easy to talk to anyone in the company.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Vice President of R&D in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President of R&D in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission of improving people's lives through neuroscience is a great one. Tons of really smart, engaging people work here. There is a culture of people supporting each other in the work.

Cons

The space of cognitive training is controversial, so if you're uncomfortable with risk, this might not be the place for you.

A solid place to balance life and work with people on a mission to improve the lives of others.

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, communication, benefits, flexibility, product and I feel like I'm a part of something great when I'm there.

Cons

At the moment, I can't think of any major or minor cons to address. I can say that if I do have questions or concerns, I am able and comfortable voicing them.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and communication with individual and between teams.

Not perfect, but still the best company I've worked for

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lumos Labs offers a nice suite of perks, that's comparable if not better than most other startups. Some of the more common perks include:
    - catered meals
    - unlimited PTO
    - free gym
    - all-inclusive offsite events ranging from local gatherings (House of Air, open bar events, BBQs, Tahoe) to exotic trips (Xmas party in Maui, company cruise to Mexico)
    - Friday happy hours

Where Lumos really differentiates from other startups is employee autonomy. Micromanagement is pretty much non-existent and employees are treated as adults. Lumos Labs isn't a company run by a "celebrity entrepreneur" or worse, someone fresh out of school. While breakfast/lunch/dinner is provided, people aren't expected to spend every waking hour at the office. The game room gets regular use- ping pong/foosball/smash brothers/fifa games occur on a daily basis. Unlimited PTO is what you'd expect, and taking a break on short notice isn't frowned upon. While Lumos Labs has grown, it still manages to maintain the vibe and energy common in much smaller organizations.

Cons

Lumos Labs has gone through its share of growing pains. I like to think that the company has scaled gracefully from a small to mid-sized startup, but it hasn't gone completely unscathed. Common problems endemic to growth usually boil down to policy change, team structure, and quick hires. Lumos Labs has unfortunately been affected by all of these. To its credit, the company has managed to iron out a lot of these issues. People will always whine about change, but many of the recent adjustments are for the better.

Advice to Management

Try to maintain openness and accessibility as the company scales. Continue to reward both veteran and newer employees for their contributions.

Was a good place to work, could be again

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really strong teams and so many people you can rely on.......provided they stay. Used to be a great place to work. Great food and very environmentally friendly.

Cons

Management prefers to hire people they "like" who appear unqualified at very high positions. Appears that many people who have been there a long time feel that they are being penalized by their loyalty.

Advice to Management

Re-focus more attention to the people who helped build the business and compensate them based on merit or sell the company to someone who cares about the business and the people. Spartacus

10. A fun place to work

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Flexible time off
    Free food and drinks
    A games room you can hang out in whenever you want
    Awesome coworkers

Cons

My job does not have the benefits (ex: unlimited paid time off, end of year bonus) that all other positions at the company have.

Advice to Management

Management does a great job. Just continue asking for feedback and continue what you're doing.

Broken management: lack of recognition or feedback

I worked at Lumos Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Free lunches most of the days, but expect to spend most of your week in lunch meetings
    - Flexible hours (typical office hours 10:30am to 7:30pm)
    - Unlimited PTO

Cons

- Complete lack of feedback from management
    - Broken management skills (increasing employee morale doesn't seem to be a priority)
    - Very poor to no employee recognition for hard work
    - Cliquey culture, much favoritism given to the "popular" kids makes it hard to advance in one's career/get promoted

RSS Feed </> Embed