Lumos Labs

www.lumoslabs.com

Lumos Labs Reviews

3.3

Kunal Sarkar

A solid place to balance life and work with people on a mission to improve the lives of others.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, communication, benefits, flexibility, product and I feel like I'm a part of something great when I'm there.

Cons

At the moment, I can't think of any major or minor cons to address. I can say that if I do have questions or concerns, I am able and comfortable voicing them.

Keep up the good work and communication with individual and between teams.

Growing pains, I think not

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lumosity has free food and they serve lunches a few days a week. They have a fabulous game room, although I have heard that it is actually lacking for a SF startup (never used it but it looks cool and they have a golf club!!!!). They also have a fabulous health plan! The people that I have met earlier at Lumos (both those that have came and left) were just top notch. I also hear that their cash compensation is pretty good compared to other startups.

Cons

Lumosity is just not a fun place to work anymore, which is a real downer man. Senior management seems uninterested in the product and many seem to be unhappy and just very downtrodden. I have conversed with quite a few people at other gaming companies and it appears that we are in the same place in terms of shoddy culture and moral conduct, although we only are a fraction of the size and age. Senior management doesn't appear to care about their employees or the product anymore and are simply so so over it. It appears that people are more about sitting at the "cool kids table" than about doing killer work ("cool kids table really does pay off here so it is a wise choise. It has turned into a bit of a cut-throat atmosphere, whereby questionable promotions, decisions, and hiring practices are occurring. I hope that these are simply rumors and I have not experienced them personally. I only mention them as so many people have substantiated them and the rumors are not very "Kosher." I choose to not believe them, because I just want to do my work and go home these days. I feel bad, so I must indicate that this review is slightly biased as I am not very happy working here now and I am sure some employees are. So please do a bit of networking before coming to a conclusion as we are a bigger company and I am sure other people have other perspectives.

Truly I do not know. It feels like you broke it so badly with both indifference and questionable character. Act responsibly, love and inspire your employees, and use good moral judgement.

Not perfect, but still the best company I've worked for

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lumos Labs offers a nice suite of perks, that's comparable if not better than most other startups. Some of the more common perks include:
    - catered meals
    - unlimited PTO
    - free gym
    - all-inclusive offsite events ranging from local gatherings (House of Air, open bar events, BBQs, Tahoe) to exotic trips (Xmas party in Maui, company cruise to Mexico)
    - Friday happy hours

Where Lumos really differentiates from other startups is employee autonomy. Micromanagement is pretty much non-existent and employees are treated as adults. Lumos Labs isn't a company run by a "celebrity entrepreneur" or worse, someone fresh out of school. While breakfast/lunch/dinner is provided, people aren't expected to spend every waking hour at the office. The game room gets regular use- ping pong/foosball/smash brothers/fifa games occur on a daily basis. Unlimited PTO is what you'd expect, and taking a break on short notice isn't frowned upon. While Lumos Labs has grown, it still manages to maintain the vibe and energy common in much smaller organizations.

Cons

Lumos Labs has gone through its share of growing pains. I like to think that the company has scaled gracefully from a small to mid-sized startup, but it hasn't gone completely unscathed. Common problems endemic to growth usually boil down to policy change, team structure, and quick hires. Lumos Labs has unfortunately been affected by all of these. To its credit, the company has managed to iron out a lot of these issues. People will always whine about change, but many of the recent adjustments are for the better.

Try to maintain openness and accessibility as the company scales. Continue to reward both veteran and newer employees for their contributions.

Was a good place to work, could be again

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really strong teams and so many people you can rely on.......provided they stay. Used to be a great place to work. Great food and very environmentally friendly.

Cons

Management prefers to hire people they "like" who appear unqualified at very high positions. Appears that many people who have been there a long time feel that they are being penalized by their loyalty.

Re-focus more attention to the people who helped build the business and compensate them based on merit or sell the company to someone who cares about the business and the people. Spartacus

A fun place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Flexible time off
    Free food and drinks
    A games room you can hang out in whenever you want
    Awesome coworkers

Cons

My job does not have the benefits (ex: unlimited paid time off, end of year bonus) that all other positions at the company have.

Management does a great job. Just continue asking for feedback and continue what you're doing.

Inflated titles, Inflated egos.

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lumos Labs as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Free food, flexible hours. Smart, but often times a few cocky personas floating around. You'll find them easily when you get there. However, the exceptions are the co-founders.

Cons

An "Old Boys Network" type of company if you want to get hired/promoted faster than your peers (or at least that's how it was). Because of this there's definitely a cliquish culture that is reminiscent of highschool.

Broken management: lack of recognition or feedback

I worked at Lumos Labs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Free lunches most of the days, but expect to spend most of your week in lunch meetings
    - Flexible hours (typical office hours 10:30am to 7:30pm)
    - Unlimited PTO

Cons

- Complete lack of feedback from management
    - Broken management skills (increasing employee morale doesn't seem to be a priority)
    - Very poor to no employee recognition for hard work
    - Cliquey culture, much favoritism given to the "popular" kids makes it hard to advance in one's career/get promoted

Lumos Labs Photos