Lumosity

CEO

The Place to Be

Current Employee - Games Team in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Games Team in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lumosity full-time

Pros

I help work on the games team at Lumosity. It's a fantastic company with great values and goals; I could (and do) recommend it to anyone in a tech field. Leadership is very open and oriented toward your personal goals, from upper management to team leads. The company is always reaching for new directions and better processes as it grows. The atmosphere is creative and experimental, with an emphasis on user testing and iteration. Teamwork is close and empowering, and there's always something new and exciting to work on. One of the company's greatest strengths is the focus on team fit during the interview process; the results are highly effective groups that respect AND like each other. Benefits are insane, the facilities are great, and there's an overall sense of being appreciated for your passion.

Cons

This is a company for motivated adults. The great team culture and fun come with an understanding that you're working hard; slackers and paycheck collectors need not apply. This isn't a con for the right person - it means that Lumosity attracts some of the most talented and passionate people I've ever worked with. The hardest part of working here is the high quality bar for code and art. Because so many internal people are passionate about the product, it can sometimes take longer than you'd think to release a top-notch game or feature.

Solid career start fallen short

I worked at Lumosity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Culture is incredibly important to this company. They are working to create an inclusive group, so everyone can have fun at work.

Certain departments feel like playpens, and HR has to pick up the slack. It's often hard to gauge when recess is over and you should be getting back to work.

Cons

Sometimes you forget that you're working. I question the dedication of a some employees/departments. Some individuals put in 80 hour weeks while other certainly put in less than 20. It's easy to be lazy when you're given so much freedom.

I've been here for a year and I'm still loving every minute of it!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lumosity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

TLDR: great culture, great work-life balance, awesome perks, great office location, lots of personal/career-growth, lots of opportunities.

I've grown so much as an engineer since joining Lumosity. I see noticeable improvement in my code month over month. The engineering culture here is so innovative and so amazing. We're always thinking of new ways of improving our development process and refactoring our code base. On the product side, as an engineer, I feel like my voice is always heard and this is definitely not the case with all tech companies. There's just so much room for personal growth.

If you're more product-oriented, the product teams always love hearing an engineer's perspective. If you love solving difficult problems, all of our engineers build shippable product from day 1 and we design and architect systems in small teams. Senior engineers and managers provide guidance when asked but they won't micromanage or step in. If you enjoy data-mining and analytics, we have an amazing analytics team that works with both the science team and product team to analyze data. I feel super excited and happy to go to work everyday!

Cons

the company is growing rapidly so there are/might be some growing pains, but i feel like we're dealing with them pretty well. We can probably work on our inter-team communication, but everyone is so friendly it's pretty easy to talk to anyone in the company.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Vice President of R&D in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President of R&D in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lumosity full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The mission of improving people's lives through neuroscience is a great one. Tons of really smart, engaging people work here. There is a culture of people supporting each other in the work.

Cons

The space of cognitive training is controversial, so if you're uncomfortable with risk, this might not be the place for you.