Lunchbox

Updated Apr 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Adam Roe

Here is the deal - Great learning opportunity, I wish people would stop complaining

Manager (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lunchbox full-time for more than a year

ProsGood work, happy people, lots of learning. I had a chance to learn things I'd never be able to in a first job. Amazing work life balance. We leave at 5 with no expectations to work all night. Growing faster than they can keep up. Many smart and passionate people who love this industry it's great to be around. You hear stories about the old days where they paid off college loans and are super generous with new parents but I've not seen it except there are a few new moms who have been out for months. If you want to get ahead go talk to the two owners about your goals. We have a 20% discount on IHOP next door. Awesome.

ConsPeople my age (under 26) seem to think you should get promoted every 3 months. Some of which are on this forum spend half the day looking at YouTube and salary sites it is little surprise they didn't get anywhere. It's hard to listen to because it makes people our age seem lazy. Not all of us are I promise. Access to management is limited at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to weed out the noisy ones. There are some of us who are committed. Set up a system to spot your stars earlier. The CD should focus on work get someone else to lead the team as a manager it's not his talent. Slow down and retool. Look at other forms of compensation like work from home flex days.

A chaotic hodge-podge bad management and inexperienced kids.

I worked at Lunchbox as a contractor for less than a year

ProsDigital experience. The L.A. creative director really supports his staff with efforts to upgrade creative. He's the true hero of the place.

ConsThere is no organization/process in place and there is no leadership except for the L.A. and Chicago Creative directors. There's tons of confusion and people don't quite know what they're supposed to be doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some clarity as to how to run the company beyond traveling and schmoozing with your friends/clients. Instill a process for efficiency by training your employees and raising morale. Invest in your people and pay them appropriately.

Company run out of Chicago by a team of former Unilever employees that know nothing about digital or shopper marketing.

I worked at Lunchbox full-time

ProsThe client roster and clients are great

ConsThe management is non existent

Save yourself!!!

Senior Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lunchbox full-time

ProsThe people, the people.. did I mention the people?!

ConsEVERYTHING else. Seriously, EVERYTHING. The people are awesome and thats just about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart hiring and appreciating real talent.

It's OK, could be much better, could be a lot worse.

I worked at Lunchbox full-time for more than a year

ProsMost people are young, are transplants, and like to socialize. There's a ping pong table, a gym on the second floor, and an open sky roof if you're on the third floor. The astro turf, and ball courts are somewhat still in tact from its day as a mega gym.

Because the work volume is high, if you're paying attention at work, you'll level up rather quickly in the industry.

The hours are the best, really. The average person leaves before 5:30, almost always.

ConsBecause people are younger here, there seemed to be a bit of micro-managing.

The emphasis of the company's identity is on account services, as opposed to the creative process and those who execute the content. If you're coming in as a creative, prepare for some work.

The pay. But, pay your dues, and you'll be on your way even if it's not at the company.

Learn all you can & move on...

I worked at Lunchbox full-time

ProsWorking with every top CPG brand on the planet. Is great for the portfolio and you will learn a lot about campaign strategy and client relationships.

ConsSchool like mentality among employees and management. High turnover on ALL staff levels. Can be a boys club at times. Environment is very reactionary and often cut throat. There is not a lot of collaboration between departments everyone wants to be the star so people will make you look bad to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt all starts at the top. Upper level management blames their staff for problems of which they display, like being reactionary. If they want staff to behave in a certain way, set the example.

Retail is hard work but you will be much better than you ever were before if you can learn it

Art Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Lunchbox full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRetail is hard work, its not like regular advertising and that takes a lot of getting used to because you have to explain all kinds of things you dont get asked in regular advertising. Company grows year after year and things never sow down.

ConsHigh volume of a lot of the same kind of work, no real training its learn by doing. Attitude from directors some go missing.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe senior management team knows a lot but sometimes has a hard time explaining it. The main issue is the directors are young or inexperienced and things move to fast for everyone to stop and get trained.

Great for a first or second job after college.

I have been working at Lunchbox full-time

Prosthe people are great and the hours.

Consthere is no future there.

Production Designer

Production Artist (Former Employee)
Culver City, CA

I worked at Lunchbox as a contractor for less than a year

ProsCompany works with big names and will look nice on the resume once you leave.

ConsPoor management; High school like immaturity between workers and department; Unprofessional workers and managers; Stressful working environment; Very low pay; The tops do not believe in their workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement/CEO needs to reflect about how they can make their company grow in a positive way and not just earning money. People are much better than just tools. Respect people is a big need here.

Not worth it

I worked at Lunchbox full-time for more than a year

ProsWith big names attached to the company like Walmart and Unilever, it will look attractive on your resume.

ConsIt is like high school all over again... cliques, egos, immaturity and horrible management. Very monotonous business model. Gratification and recognition hit an all time low at this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over. Hire people with experience in the industry, and focus more on personality types that fit within the mold.

Worked for Lunchbox? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lunchbox reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lunchbox CEO Adam Roe. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Lunchbox employees.