Lunchbox

Updated February 24, 2015
Updated February 24, 2015
3.2

Adam Roe

Good Company, lots of immature children

I have been working at Lunchbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you can get past the first level employees it is amazing. I have been here 3 years and there are tons of promotional opportunities and you get to try on and do many things. The business is retail so you are focused on branding and helping sales so you have to understand what he business does. When I was at large agencies I was working on the same Toyota 1-2 banners for 8 months and 50 revisions, thats not a problem here.

Cons

Children. Lots of GD reviews by very very immature children who think they should only be developing movie sites. I think the review "Out by 5 every day. Not challenging. In by 8 every day. Not challenging" summarizes it the sentiment of the children - A work life balance is a bad thing? Another guy was complaining why freelancers don't get benefits or time off? Because you are a freelancer! I previously worked at a large agency and would have killed to leave this early. I am only 32 but grow up.

Human Resources needs to pay attention to how little the young staff it. There is a significant loss when you hire kids out of school because people like me have to work with them. It makes working here intolerable. Please hire more senior staff its not worth it.

Feb 25, 2015HR Director

Thank you for taking time to review us and glad to hear that you have a mostly positive experience! We would agree with you that a work/life balance is very important to many people and is ... More

Entry-Level Agency

Former Contractor - Creative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Contractor - Creative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Lunchbox as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Out by 5 every day. Not challenging.

Cons

In by 8 every day. Not challenging.

Working at Lunchbox—especially as a creative—feels very hamster wheely. They are not particularly innovative in their executions or thinking, and that gets to be a grind very, very fast. They use a handful of digital products and reskin them for different clients. Attempts to break that pattern are shot down 99% of the time.

New creative leadership in 2015 is attempting to get out of that rut, but it certainly looks like a long road ahead. It's a decent place to start if you have literally no experience in the industry (lots of recent grads, especially from USC), but it is a step backward from almost any other agency in town.

Some reviews note that they work with big brands. That is true, but if you put the actual work in your book, a cursory glance will reveal its shallow nature.

I dunno. It's a fine place to tread water.

Great company. Strong future. Happy people.

I have been working at Lunchbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ive worked at a lot of other agencies and have to say there is a clear reason why I see people that leave come back.
    Happy people
    People like each other
    Close to my house
    Good work life balance
    Fast promoitonal opportunities
    Good for self directed individuals

Cons

Parking limited
    Not for people that need to be told what to do
    Little accountability for some employees makes you think management does not care.
    Project management system can be hard to learn at first

More frequent communication, onboarding needs help as you get thrown right into the middle of things which isn't the easiest for some people
    Disconnect between upper management sometimes

Feb 25, 2015HR Director

We are glad to see your long list of pros! We also appreciate your comments with regards to on-boarding and we are trying to make that a priority to fix this year.

Great place if you are driven and know what you want

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lunchbox full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture allows for rapid development and overcoming weaknesses if you aren't overwhelmed by it
    - They put a ton of effort into developing young talent and caring about your development
    - Can work with senior leaders of the company early on

Cons

- Only a few roles that stand out (Marketing side)
    - Very Young people

Focus on what matters, take time off to do town halls

Feb 18, 2015HR Director

Thank you for your honesty in both the pros and cons. We also hear your advice to management and will take that into consideration.

Happy people, busy work, I'm in.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lunchbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

High level of cooperations from all the teams. People like to work together. Never any fears of the company going out of business as they are growing fast. Lots of long term employees here going back 5+ years

Cons

Lots of the same type of work, some turnover in management but nothing excessive.

Spend less time on big projects and more with letting everyone know what is going on. Lack of communication from the top can be concerning sometimes.

Feb 18, 2015HR Director

We have great teamwork here at Lunchbox and that is one of the great things we pride ourselves on!

Terrible Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lunchbox full-time

Pros

Many people are hard workers and some of them are nice. Big name clients you can put on your resume for your next job.

Cons

The people at the top care very little about the quality of work produced for clients. Most work is made from a template and not thought out. There's little concern for employees, culture and office morale. Leaders only care about how much money they can make. The benefits are also awful and the pay is low. Also, there are no sick days, no personal days and I've heard no maternity leave for new moms.

Consider investing in office culture and your overworked employees.

Feb 18, 2015HR Director

We are sorry to hear that you are unhappy with us. Please come down to HR to discuss instead of using an anonymous site. We would like to address your concerns and try to improve the situation from ... More

Poor product, distrustful leadership

Current Employee - Accounts in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Accounts in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lunchbox full-time

Pros

Very nice people. Hectic atmosphere is not a bad place to learn how to fight for yourself.

Cons

This is not a particularly innovative company. They hire executives from Walmart, Unilever, T-Mobile to win budgets from those companies. Not an innovative, product-driven culture. Upper management is made up mostly of former Unilever execs. The company is does not treat employees with trust. Upper management very out of touch with lower level

Nothing I can say

Jan 20, 2015CEO

If you are a current employee, please come down to HR to discuss. We would like to hear your thoughts on why you feel upper management does not trust their employees and what solutions we can come ... More

Fun and Fast-Paced Environment

Current Employee - Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lunchbox full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I’ve worked at lunchbox for less than a year, and contrary to the reviews below, really enjoy it. I like how I am on a first name basis with everyone regardless of their executive level. The environment is casual and relaxed, with a very young staff. The office is unique and modern with the glass exterior. The LA office has a fun vibe with some of the employees switching from regular office chairs to exercise balls.There's ping pong, foosball, and a Pac Man video game for us to use during down time.

Food is consistently brought in which is a MAJOR plus! The bagels are always great to start the week and fresh fruit is brought in on a weekly basis. A healthy lifestyle is encouraged, which can be a change, since I really enjoyed the donuts every Friday, but having free fitness classes every day of the week has been a good way to get in shape, as well as a great way to get to know people on different teams that I wouldn’t normally work with...

Cons

Downside- because the company is growing so quick, people are a little squished in the LA office. The neighborhood the office is in is not ideal, but it is located close to Westwood making you feel not as isolated. Overall, I like the people I work with and enjoy coming to work every day.

Nov 17, 2014HR Director

We are glad to see that you enjoy working for us. Feel free to come down to HR anytime to share comments or concerns. We welcome your feedback!

Very pleasant company = )

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Lunchbox as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I've worked as a creative for nearly 10 years at in-house and independent agencies, and Lunchbox has a few great things going for it.

Amazing work/life balance - Most people here, from executives down to associates are out the door by 5pm. As a creative that's worked at both in-house and independent agencies, this is a HUGE perk.

Low stress - Not once did I feel overworked. There are a lot of rush jobs here and there but people are given help when needed.

Great people - An office full of nice people, who practice positive reinforcement and constructive criticism. A lot of chatting and general comraderie makes for a good environment where stuff still gets done.

Good perks - Bagels on Mondays, fruit on Fridays, and snacks in between. They have in-office fitness classes you can sign up for too.

Cons

Unexciting projects - more like a production department than a real agency that comes up with exciting, innovative campaigns. Mostly making pages, emails and ad banners that live within sites like Walmart, Sam's Club and BJ's. There's some room for creativity within these spaces but "big-picture" ideas aren't really generated here.

Cramped office- There's really not that much space.

Subpar equipment - In general, stuff like the chairs you sit on and the computers you use aren't the best. Chairs are cheap and uncomfortable, and my laptop froze up like crazy.

All in all, I enjoyed my time here. It's not really a place that will blow you away in terms of creativity and innovation, but there's a lot of things to like about Lunchbox.

More proactive blue-sky pitches please.

Nov 24, 2014HR Director

Thank you for your honest feedback. As another reviewer mentioned, Lunchbox does have a fantastic work/life balance, and I agree that there are great people working here that allow that to happen ... More

Great opportunity for anyone who likes to actually work

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lunchbox full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good reputation in the market and a great customer base. Really smart people here and lots of educational opportunities. Full time gym, open door policy with the leadership if you have ideas.

Cons

Learning curve takes time. you've worked in places with more general processes or structures, there can be a steep learning curve. But, generally, people are patient when on boarding. Most people find this gives them the freedom to work in a way that makes sense for their individual work style, while still working with a team.

Get rid of the complainers. Many negative reviews here is from someone who was fired for incompetence or should have been a long time ago. All it takes is one bad one to run it for everyone else. Stop waiting - please.

Nov 12, 2014HR Director

Thank you for your honest feedback. We are glad that you noticed that we have an open door policy. You can go to our Executive Leadership Team with any questions/comments/concerns that you may have ... More