Lunchbox Reviews

Adam Roe

Marketing Coordinator

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lunchbox

Pros

-We have a Lunchbox Class Pass which gives all employees an opportunity to try out a local fitness studio (such as: Orange Theory Fitness, Soul Cycle, Pop Physique, etc.) every Wednesday evening! Considering that most work out places in the Brentwood/Santa Monica area cost ~$25-$35 a class...this is AMAZING!
    -We have 2 personal trainers that come every day (one in the morning and one right after work). The classes are challenging and fun and it's a great way to spend time with my colleagues.
    -Every Thursday we get a surplus of snacks like fruits, veggies, juices, pub mix, popcorn, etc. (They usually try to stay on the healthy side since we have a Health & Wellness Program implemented)
    -Every Monday we get delicious bagels and creme cheese delivered fresh!
    -Fully equipped gym (relatively small but not always packed)
    -Every once in a while we will have a surprise pizza party & ice cream party! Did I mention the ice cream is delicious ice cream sandwiches from Diddy Riese?! MMMmmm!
    -The people at Lunchbox are truly spectacular. Not only are they bright, fun, and creative people, but after a year, I already feel like they are my family. Your work place is essentially your home away from home so it's really important to make sure you enjoy being with the people around you. I can honestly say Lunchbox has some of the best people to be around :)
    -You pretty much get to leave at 5pm on the dot every day as long as you get all of your work done - most agencies are not like this. This is something I really appreciate.
    -Although the workload can be a handful at times, you really do learn SO much here, especially if you are starting off with an entry level position.
    -We have an online encouragement system called YouEarnedIt where you can send and receive points to your coworkers and after a certain amount, you can win cool things like gifts cards, juicers, designer watches, iPads, outdoor camping gear, etc.

Cons

-Limited amount of PTO days
    -You can't get promoted until after 1 full year of working here
    -Work starts at 8am on the dot
    -Since we have Nation wide office locations, some of our teams are divided up. It is very challenging to work with a team that is not only in a slightly different time zone, but also, most of your communication is via Email, Instant Messenger, and the telephone. This is not an ideal situation because it takes away form building team relationships and sometimes it can be tough to manage your schedule & workload when you have to adjust your schedule to EST or CST.
    -Limited tandem parking spots, but you can also park on the street

2. Great work / life balance

I have been working at Lunchbox full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I think of Lunchbox as a family. They take care of their own. If you have been there only a few weeks you wouldn't exactly feel that yet as I think it is earned after you prove that you will work hard and care about others around you. I hear horror stories about pulling all nighters at other agencies - you won't find that here. They work very hard to ensure team coverage and steady work flow.

Cons

It's a small agency so anyone used to big agencies with lots of perks would be disappointed.

Apr 15, 2015HR Director

Thank you for your response! We are very glad to hear you are happy working here, and feel like you are a part of our family.

Almost good.

I have been working at Lunchbox full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Solid job. New creative leader made it interesting doing really cool stuff. Lots of more work but much more fun.

Cons

New guy gone to save some $$. Money more important to owners than work or our life. New caring review program total bs. All looking for somthing new now.

Advice to Management

There is more than money. Really? Don't you guys have enough already?

Mar 30, 2015HR Director

Please come to HR, or reach out and talk to someone on the Executive Leadership team. You will get a better solution than posting anonymous. We would like to hear your issues, and help to resolve ... More

Good Company, lots of immature children

I have been working at Lunchbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you can get past the first level employees it is amazing. I have been here 3 years and there are tons of promotional opportunities and you get to try on and do many things. The business is retail so you are focused on branding and helping sales so you have to understand what he business does. When I was at large agencies I was working on the same Toyota 1-2 banners for 8 months and 50 revisions, thats not a problem here.

Cons

Children. Lots of GD reviews by very very immature children who think they should only be developing movie sites. I think the review "Out by 5 every day. Not challenging. In by 8 every day. Not challenging" summarizes it the sentiment of the children - A work life balance is a bad thing? Another guy was complaining why freelancers don't get benefits or time off? Because you are a freelancer! I previously worked at a large agency and would have killed to leave this early. I am only 32 but grow up.

Advice to Management

Human Resources needs to pay attention to how little the young staff it. There is a significant loss when you hire kids out of school because people like me have to work with them. It makes working here intolerable. Please hire more senior staff its not worth it.

Feb 25, 2015HR Director

Thank you for taking time to review us and glad to hear that you have a mostly positive experience! We would agree with you that a work/life balance is very important to many people and is ... More

6. I worked for a summer on the creative team.

I worked at Lunchbox

Pros

As an intern, I didn't really expect to be paid much, so low wages weren't really a downside for me, but it was a great experience to work in an office setting and figure out the pace and lifestyle.

Cons

There was almost no work they could give me (I promise that I am competent) because it was not very organized at times.

Mar 5, 2015HR Director

We are sorry that you didn't have enough work. We would advise you to speak with your supervisor next time, and hopefully they could provide more work or transfer you to another department. We do ... More

7. Entry-Level Agency

Former Contractor - Creative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Contractor - Creative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Lunchbox as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Out by 5 every day. Not challenging.

Cons

In by 8 every day. Not challenging.

Advice to Management

Working at Lunchbox—especially as a creative—feels very hamster wheely. They are not particularly innovative in their executions or thinking, and that gets to be a grind very, very fast. They use a handful of digital products and reskin them for different clients. Attempts to break that pattern are shot down 99% of the time.

New creative leadership in 2015 is attempting to get out of that rut, but it certainly looks like a long road ahead. It's a decent place to start if you have literally no experience in the industry (lots of recent grads, especially from USC), but it is a step backward from almost any other agency in town.

Some reviews note that they work with big brands. That is true, but if you put the actual work in your book, a cursory glance will reveal its shallow nature.

I dunno. It's a fine place to tread water.

8. Great company. Strong future. Happy people.

I have been working at Lunchbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ive worked at a lot of other agencies and have to say there is a clear reason why I see people that leave come back.
    Happy people
    People like each other
    Close to my house
    Good work life balance
    Fast promoitonal opportunities
    Good for self directed individuals

Cons

Parking limited
    Not for people that need to be told what to do
    Little accountability for some employees makes you think management does not care.
    Project management system can be hard to learn at first

Advice to Management

More frequent communication, onboarding needs help as you get thrown right into the middle of things which isn't the easiest for some people
    Disconnect between upper management sometimes

Feb 25, 2015HR Director

We are glad to see your long list of pros! We also appreciate your comments with regards to on-boarding and we are trying to make that a priority to fix this year.

9. Great place if you are driven and know what you want

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lunchbox full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture allows for rapid development and overcoming weaknesses if you aren't overwhelmed by it
    - They put a ton of effort into developing young talent and caring about your development
    - Can work with senior leaders of the company early on

Cons

- Only a few roles that stand out (Marketing side)
    - Very Young people

Advice to Management

Focus on what matters, take time off to do town halls

Feb 18, 2015HR Director

Thank you for your honesty in both the pros and cons. We also hear your advice to management and will take that into consideration.

10. Happy people, busy work, I'm in.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lunchbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

High level of cooperations from all the teams. People like to work together. Never any fears of the company going out of business as they are growing fast. Lots of long term employees here going back 5+ years

Cons

Lots of the same type of work, some turnover in management but nothing excessive.

Advice to Management

Spend less time on big projects and more with letting everyone know what is going on. Lack of communication from the top can be concerning sometimes.

Feb 18, 2015HR Director

We have great teamwork here at Lunchbox and that is one of the great things we pride ourselves on!

Terrible Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lunchbox full-time

Pros

Many people are hard workers and some of them are nice. Big name clients you can put on your resume for your next job.

Cons

The people at the top care very little about the quality of work produced for clients. Most work is made from a template and not thought out. There's little concern for employees, culture and office morale. Leaders only care about how much money they can make. The benefits are also awful and the pay is low. Also, there are no sick days, no personal days and I've heard no maternity leave for new moms.

Advice to Management

Consider investing in office culture and your overworked employees.

Feb 18, 2015HR Director

We are sorry to hear that you are unhappy with us. Please come down to HR to discuss instead of using an anonymous site. We would like to address your concerns and try to improve the situation from ... More