Lunds & Byerlys Reviews

Reset
4.0
Tres Lund III

1. Amazing Place to Work

Pros

Great atmosphere, great bosses, opportunity for advancement, good pay and benefits

Cons

it is retail, so working nights and weekends

Advice to Management

Continue to be friendly, open, positive, and encouraging to all employees

2. Very professional experience

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Very friendly work environment and good training available

Cons

Point system is very confusing

3. Restaurant Supervisor

Pros

Good perks and benefits, team environment

Cons

Working some holidays and weekends

5. Bagger

I have been working at Lunds & Byerlys part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fun place to work customers can be nice

Cons

Not enough hours available to give if you're looking for over 28 hours good luck there unable to give it plus know opportunity for full time

Advice to Management

Start offering real hours to hell with the union be done with them so people have a reason to work there start offering full-time

6. Good first job

Current Employee - Process Operator
    Current Employee - Process Operator

Pros

As my first job, I enjoyed working here. Some of the perks were an employee discount card for L&B stores, and a flexible work schedule which was nice as a student. Overall good environment to work in.

Cons

Seniority, Union controlled, stress, old machines

Advice to Management

New equipment would be nice

7. Good first job

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Union, pay raises depending on how long you've been working there(ex. You get a raise every 6 months).

Cons

Seniority, the managers decide who gets promoted.

8. L&B Bakery

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk

I have been working at Lunds & Byerlys part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly Coworkers; Great work environment; Approachable management; Dedicated employees who've been there for years; They care about their employees; Everyone is paid equally because it is a union job and it is all based on senority.

Cons

Difficult to move up to higher positions; Work environment is not multicultural; the bakery in some locations has a separate union than the rest of the store, meaning you cannot cross train in other departments. Employees who slack off are hard to get rid of because of the union.

Advice to Management

Put money into new equipment

9. Union controlled grocery store

Pros

Original concept elevated this company above other grocery stores. Employees overall are of a different caliber-ceo has more of a hands-on approach.

Cons

Since acquisition of Rainbow company noticed a more negative atmosphere as Rainbow personnel were accommodated. Wages are controlled by meatcutters union. Store policies are controlled by union contracts. Health insurance not available to part time workers under30 hours.

10. Was once a better company

Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Lunds & Byerlys full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I am proud to work for Tres Lund. Some of my co-workers are as dedicated as I am and I enjoying working with them. The employee discount benefit is much appreciated. The company does re-invest heavily in the stores.

Cons

I am not proud to work for some of the people below Tres Lund. As a long time unionized employee, I am treated as I am some kind of problem. I never asked to be in the union. You in fact told me I needed to join the union if I wanted to come work for you. Now you seem to resent my presence because I did as you requested at the time of my hire. I am well respected by both those I work for and those that work for me. I have been told this repeatedly for decades. If I post for a promotion, I am not even worthy of an interview. You hire people that have not worked a day for you and will not even talk me despite decades of solid service. This is not how you build loyalty among your employees Tres. The company once boasted large amounts of experienced, dedicated and knowledgeable employees. Unfortunately that group of employees are reaching an age of retirement and is constantly shrinking. It will be difficult for the company to replace them with similar long term employees as the industry has changed. It will impossible for the company to replace them with similar employees if the company does not change their ways

Advice to Management

In a company where succession planning is supposedly a concern, you need to stop antagonizing the most experienced employees. These employees could be your greatest asset in this area. Instead you treat them as though you just want them to go away. It's sad.

11. A company that rewards for the wrong reasons...

I have been working at Lunds & Byerlys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Decent benefits + An opportunity to exercise while at work + Beautiful stores and fantastic assortment of products

Cons

- Poor prescription coverage (80/20) - Store leaders pick favorites to promote and won't allow others to apply for promotions - The company seems to reward tenure over talent, even when someone is mediocre at best.

Advice to Management

- Give the milennials a chance to enter into positions of leadership and management -- we possess stronger interpersonal communication skills than the boomers and other, older generations because we believe in open, honest and transparent communication.

RSS Feed </> Embed