Lush Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Mark Constantine

Pros
  • 50% discount and can sample any of the stock (in 10 reviews)

• No animal testing on ingredients or finished products (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Think of this as a part time job (in 6 reviews)

• No benefits, only for full time keyholders and up (in 5 reviews)

1. great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Lush part-time (More than a year)

Pros

accepting environment
    forward thinking company
    employees are appreciated
    room for career advancement
    lots of team building

Cons

hard to manage as only job due to lack of hours

2. Sales embassador

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Lush

Pros

I love the environment . The training was great you were able to get free lush products . I always enjoyed working and it was a a great challenge to learn all about the products and the ingredients in them

Cons

The sales quotas were the hardest . If they weren't met your hours got cut . They had a tendency to play favorites which you can already tell . Don't get me wrong I did like my coworkers I can tell .

Advice to Management

Be fair with employees and don't play favorites that's very unprofessional in a work environment . Make fair decisions when hiring permanent employees

Management was poor, but it's only a blemish on an otherwise good, fun company.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Escondido, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Escondido, CA

I worked at Lush part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Generous employee discount, 50% off! Lots of training, fun relaxed environment, smells wonderful, good company values and ethical business practices.

Cons

Occasionally clique-y environment, very small store, very few hours, products are overpriced, a lot of pressure to make sales by acting pushy, phoned in, and/or dishonest with customers.

5. Such a self-esteem blow...

I worked at Lush

Pros

The discount, honestly--50% off everything in the store and I used it as much as possible. The only good thing about working there.

Cons

All the company cares about is profit. They don't care about the happiness of their workers. They'll slave you to make sales and if you have a bad sales day, they take it out on your schedule.

6. A fun part-time job

Former Employee - Salesperson in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Lush part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training, great products, fun co-workers, great discount

Cons

Low pay, rapid changes in management

7. Overall negative, though of course it starts out magical.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate

I have been working at Lush part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The discount is great, and people are generally fun to work with. You get to be involved with local charity events, if you choose, and it's actually really fulfilling to help someone who has always been unhappy with their skin find things that work for them.

Cons

High expectations for output with very low pay. They expect employees to be a walking encyclopedia of Lush knowledge and pay them minimum wage, where a similar job pays twice as much. Most of the girls here are almost Disney-level brainwashed and, while knowing their skills are being taken advantage of, put up with it because they really believe they're "saving the planet." They'll stick around for YEARS before ever being offered an opportunity to advance or get a pay raise, and because it's mostly ladies, no matter how nice, they do get catty. Management in the shops is a one-sided check-and-balanceless joke, and I heard so many stories of the founder sleeping around with managers during the week-long meetings in the UK. Gross. I really wanted to love this job and was disappointed when I saw how screwed up it is.

Advice to Management

Provide checks and balances for management. Make sure it's based on skill and dedication, and not on who is friends with whom. Pay your employees fair wages! If you're going to expect someone's schedule to be entirely dedicated to lush, don't schedule them for 10 hours a week when they have bills to pay.

Manager

I worked at Lush full-time

Pros

Great place to work, there is a zen like sales approach and if you are willing to really focus on what Lush asks of you -which is totally fair and ethical- you an really make the customer's days!! It's a great feeling and I loved working here.

Cons

Very hands on approaches, you cannot be afraid to talk to every customer and try and add on t your sales; the shop is small and it gets very busy so you have to handle a fact-paced environment!

Advice to Management

I think employees deserve to be paid more, however I heard after I left there was a pay bump so that very well may not be the case anymore!

9. Fabulous, if mobile

I have been working at Lush full-time

Pros

Great product, ethics, vision and discount. One of the best companies I've ever worked for. Employees are compensated very well for their work and efforts.

Cons

Little room for growth unless mobile. Retail support can be either fantastic or deplorable, no middle ground. Large discrepancy with devotion focused on newer shops versus older ones. Not developed enough as a global brand to streamline across all channels... Yet.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to open new shops everywhere, and instead develop previously existing shops first. Brand consistency is more important than market saturation.

10. Good experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Topanga, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Topanga, CA

I worked at Lush part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The workers there are nice and the pace to work always has a positive vibe to it. It was difficult to leave just because of the really good discount and coworkers.

Cons

Hours (usually you're never satisfied with what hours you get and you got hours hat depended on how good you sold). You were pressured to make the sales, they would always ask 'how could you have made that sell even better?' Not saying this is really a bad thing, but it just gets annoying.

11. Fun Place to Work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Universal City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Universal City, CA

I worked at Lush

Pros

The people are really great and down to earth people, and you get to sell products that you can really stand behind and truly enjoy to use on your own. The work environment is often very fun and sometimes pretty laid back and the people who work there truly LOVE to work there. It's a great place to be. Plus, you get a 50% discount!!

Cons

I felt like the growth opportunities were limited and I was often overlooked for "promotions"

RSS Feed </> Embed