Lush Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.6
Mark Constantine

Pros
  • 50% discount and can sample any of the stock (in 10 reviews)

• No animal testing on ingredients or finished products (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Think of this as a part time job (in 6 reviews)

• No benefits, only for full time keyholders and up (in 5 reviews)

1. Review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakridge Ranches, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakridge Ranches, CA

I have been working at Lush full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Speaking with someone in management in the interview gave me a good feeling about the company.

Cons

I ran into an issue with my salary pay. I received less than minimum wage per hour.

Advice to Management

the management should work on giving more employment opportunities to their current employees and raising their base salaries to 10.50 and hour.

2. Great learning experience

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Lush (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had a great core support team and learn a lot of skills from my time at Lush. It's a company who cares about it's employees and creates a healthy company culture. Tons of great training and follow up.

Cons

Was told "off the record" by one support team member that because I was a full time salaried employee, that it was silently expected that I would skip lunches and work overtime without compensation. I was thrown into a situation in which I was not informed of the upper management changes that immediately effected me. It seemed as if there was a bit of a lack of communication through upper management that ultimately lead to me leaving.

Advice to Management

Keep communication open and fluid. Keep everyone on the same page.

3. Amazing Company

Current Employee - Supervisor in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Lush (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products, amazing discount, full support, in depth training, good bonuses, motivated team who support each other, opportunities to be a part of various aspects of every day running of the store, great staff.

Cons

there are none as far as I am aware

Advice to Management

The pay isn't really anything to complain about although supervisors pay should be higher than it currently is considering the added responsibilities, all the training given to other members of staff and the general amount of hard work and dedication that is put in to the job. Otherwise it's an absolute dream job!

5. great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Lush part-time (More than a year)

Pros

accepting environment forward thinking company employees are appreciated room for career advancement lots of team building

Cons

hard to manage as only job due to lack of hours

6. Sales embassador

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Lush

Pros

I love the environment . The training was great you were able to get free lush products . I always enjoyed working and it was a a great challenge to learn all about the products and the ingredients in them

Cons

The sales quotas were the hardest . If they weren't met your hours got cut . They had a tendency to play favorites which you can already tell . Don't get me wrong I did like my coworkers I can tell .

Advice to Management

Be fair with employees and don't play favorites that's very unprofessional in a work environment . Make fair decisions when hiring permanent employees

Management was poor, but it's only a blemish on an otherwise good, fun company.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Escondido, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Escondido, CA

I worked at Lush part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Generous employee discount, 50% off! Lots of training, fun relaxed environment, smells wonderful, good company values and ethical business practices.

Cons

Occasionally clique-y environment, very small store, very few hours, products are overpriced, a lot of pressure to make sales by acting pushy, phoned in, and/or dishonest with customers.

8. Such a self-esteem blow...

I worked at Lush

Pros

The discount, honestly--50% off everything in the store and I used it as much as possible. The only good thing about working there.

Cons

All the company cares about is profit. They don't care about the happiness of their workers. They'll slave you to make sales and if you have a bad sales day, they take it out on your schedule.

9. A fun part-time job

Former Employee - Salesperson in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Lush part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training, great products, fun co-workers, great discount

Cons

Low pay, rapid changes in management

Overall negative, though of course it starts out magical.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate

I have been working at Lush part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The discount is great, and people are generally fun to work with. You get to be involved with local charity events, if you choose, and it's actually really fulfilling to help someone who has always been unhappy with their skin find things that work for them.

Cons

High expectations for output with very low pay. They expect employees to be a walking encyclopedia of Lush knowledge and pay them minimum wage, where a similar job pays twice as much. Most of the girls here are almost Disney-level brainwashed and, while knowing their skills are being taken advantage of, put up with it because they really believe they're "saving the planet." They'll stick around for YEARS before ever being offered an opportunity to advance or get a pay raise, and because it's mostly ladies, no matter how nice, they do get catty. Management in the shops is a one-sided check-and-balanceless joke, and I heard so many stories of the founder sleeping around with managers during the week-long meetings in the UK. Gross. I really wanted to love this job and was disappointed when I saw how screwed up it is.

Advice to Management

Provide checks and balances for management. Make sure it's based on skill and dedication, and not on who is friends with whom. Pay your employees fair wages! If you're going to expect someone's schedule to be entirely dedicated to lush, don't schedule them for 10 hours a week when they have bills to pay.

Fabulous, if mobile

I have been working at Lush full-time

Pros

Great product, ethics, vision and discount. One of the best companies I've ever worked for. Employees are compensated very well for their work and efforts.

Cons

Little room for growth unless mobile. Retail support can be either fantastic or deplorable, no middle ground. Large discrepancy with devotion focused on newer shops versus older ones. Not developed enough as a global brand to streamline across all channels... Yet.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to open new shops everywhere, and instead develop previously existing shops first. Brand consistency is more important than market saturation.

RSS Feed </> Embed