Lush

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
3.7

Mark Constantine

Pros
  • The products are amazing and the employee discount is 50% (in 6 reviews)

• 50% discount and can sample any of the stock (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Seriously guys, even coffee shops give part-time employees benefits, get with the program (in 6 reviews)

• I was only contracted to 12 hours a week but ended up working full time (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Key-holder/ Sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I worked at Lush part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great positive work environment, amazing work ethics, awesome discount of 50% off products. Just have to be willing to be super energetic and be comfortable touching people. Lush really teaches you about being eco-friendly and provides knowledgable information about skin care. Overall a fun positive place to work.

Cons

HIgher ups can be a lil much and kind of fake, you have to stand on your feet for a length of time.

I started out with so much enthusiasm, but it got old really quickly

Former Employee - Sales Ambassador in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Ambassador in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Lush part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lush is really big on ethics. You feel good about the product you're selling because it is helping numerous people around the world. Also, you'll always have soft skin because you're constantly using the products for demonstrations on customers. It's a fun, fast-paced and creative work atmosphere.

Cons

Fluctuated hours and pay. During the summer, business was slow. So, we employees only worked 5-10 hours per week. Only a few people worked 15-20 hours a week. I recommend it as a part-time job.

Consider being upfront with employees about their strengths and weaknesses.

company cares more about money than it's staff

Former Employee - Training Liaison in Universal City, CA
    Former Employee - Training Liaison in Universal City, CA

I worked at Lush part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the discount
    opportunities to move up (if your manager isn't insane)

Cons

Inconsistant schedule.
    Schedule made day of shift, come in late because unaware schedule was made--being written up for purposefully made mistakes on behalf of manager.
    History of bad managers.
    Worked overtime--never paid for it.
    Working off the clock.
    Being forced to take sick days as vacation time before holidays so I couldn't take time off to be with family later.
    Being set up to be fired essentially.
    NO WORK LIFE BALANCE,THEY EXPECT YOU TO GIVE UP YOUR LIFE.

Watch managers closely, monitor their termination rate of employees--there's so much potential within these employees but it gets wasted because of control freaks & power hunger micro-managers. PART TIMERS SHOULDNT HAVE TO LOSE SLEEP OVER A MINIMUM WAGE JOB. I WORKED FOR LUSH FOR THREE YEARS,WORKED MY WAY UP FROM SEASONAL TO TRAINING LIASION--SEVERELY UNDER PAID FOR ALL I DID & NEVER GIVEN FULL TIME EVEN WHEN IN THE CONTRACT IT STATES 35 HOURS OR MORE...WHAT A WASTE OF MY TIME.

Employees Last in Company Ethics

Former Employee - Sales Ambassador in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Ambassador in Chicago, IL

I worked at Lush part-time

Pros

Opportunity to bonus as a team
    The team can become your family

Cons

Micromanagement to the max
    Disrespectful to customers on sales floor including making fun of them and using swears about them
    Strictly about making the company more money, it is hard selling. period.
    They limit the ability to grow, offer specialty roles with no opportunity for more hours or higher pay

Lush encompasses passion for animals, grassroots, the earth, and its products but doesnt introduce that same standard to its internal employees. This may be specific to the LUSH Watertower. Having been coached to not be friendly and make eye contact with guest who need help made me no longer believe in your company. Maybe you should look into your management there.

Eh

Current Employee - Floor Leader in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Floor Leader in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lush part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful work environment, great gratis, bonuses are relatively attainable

Cons

The pay is not uniform at all and is entirely up to the manager's discretion. Which means that managers who want their bonus for the month underpay employees for fear of going over on their labor %. Very little work life balance. A lot is expected of employees who are paid very little.

Unify wages to meet industry standards - beauty & cosmetic retail is a well-paid industry, and Lush does not keep up. Crack down on the subjectivity of management in retail shops. Expand the HR department.

Great Place to be!

Current Employee - Sales Floor Lead
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Lead

I have been working at Lush full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work-life balance is well maintained. LUSH takes care of their people, they send out surveys all the time to make sure that everyone is happy with where they work. STAFF BOXES! Seasonally, when new products come out LUSH fills a goodie box with products for employee's to take home and try so that they can speak to them in the shops.

Cons

Hours fluctuation. When sales are good, hours are good, when sales are bad... hope you have a part time job.

What a farce. Unhappy people being forced to sell Happy soap.

Former Employee - Sales Floor Lead in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Lead in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at Lush

Pros

Great discount and fun products.

Cons

Horrible schedules, low pay for what is expected of you, nothing you do is ever enough, sell $200 to one person and only a bathbomb to the next and you'll be getting a "touchbase". Key holders are expected to do everything and managers hold no responsibility for things. I've left this job crying multiple times. Underpaid and under appreciated. If you try to leave they beg you to stay but say horrible things about you to the staff. Staff is criticized for customer returns and management is angered if we can't turn it into a sale over $40. You are not allowed to fraternize with staff even though lush is supposed to be a big family.

You need to increase the pay of the people that deserve it. Stop expecting key holders that make $11 an hour to run the entire store with no appreciation. There is so much pressure on making the average sale at the company goal that you neglect the fact that the team has surpassed sales goals. Management takes no responsibility. You are constantly overworked and are forced to find your own coverage if you call out sick. If you are a floor leader forget getting sick they don't care. I've seen multiple people cry because of the managers. You are expected to work off the clock in order to keep the labor on track.

Lush is a super fun place to work.

I worked at Lush

Pros

Great work environment and fantastic employee discounts, Excellent products make them easy to sell. They have a great bonus structure for all levels of employees.

Cons

Hourly pay was not that great, and hours available to work fluctuated, so it was rare that you would have the same number of hours consistently.

Invest in district managers so that your management teams have better support.

Amazing comany, amazing discount-LESS than amazing pay

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Lush part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount is 50%, which is a CRAZY good deal. The products and the company itself are the reason I went to work there. They really want customers to be educated about why the company is different than other cosmetic companies. They are also VERY adamant about stopping Animal testing, which was also something I believe in strongly.This could be a great place for students who don't have a lot of bills( or live at home) or people who want the products on the cheap.

Cons

Store locations can be few and far between. My state has only 2 locations, so there are not very many managing opportunities for those that are interested(unless you don't mind relocating) The company itself is growing very quickly, so there is a lot of things from higher up that are not very well organized, which may have been improved upon since I left the company.
    The biggest con about working at Lush, is the pay is AWFUL(close to minimum wage for sales rep) and I had a VERY bad experience with the manager. About 5 or 6 of my co-workers (including myself) emailed human resources to let them know about his poor behavior, and there was literally NO response. I could have been a lot happier with my experience if it had not been for the lack of proper management in the location.

Pay attention to all levels of service, especially the sales reps. Keep a closer eye on Managers (especially those who have an extremely high turn over rate) and increase the pay for sales rep(even if it means decreasing the discount!)

I thought this was my dream job .. I guess not ..

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Lush as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

- 50% discount
    - fun meetings
    - smells amazing
    - very understanding when it comes to calling out

Cons

There's a great amount of favoritism within the shop. If A person who was not favorited made a great sale no one would really care, but, if a sales associate that a key holder became close with made a decent sale they would tell the manager about it with over exaggerated details. Also many of the key holders are rather catty. Most of us were unaware of LUSH's regulations (that were not explained during training) and when we made a simple mistake, for example: not cutting soap the right way, we would be given a nasty attitude and at some point I was even called stupid. Some key holders would even smile in your face only to talk bad about you behind their backs. I even had one try to get me fired! I was so excited for this job but it only made me depressed! Besides that the pay is horrible. Being paid $9 an hour is enough for the amount of work that you do. You are not only a sales associate, you are a cashier, stock person, and errand person as well. I would be more acceptable for the pay if the management of the store was much better.

Please reteach your key holders what the "we believe .." statements really mean & advise them to be leaders & not jerks