www.lusivelighting.com

Updated December 1, 2014
Updated December 1, 2014
3.3

Jason Cooper

Best company I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lusive Decor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employees here are the best I've ever worked with, hands down.
    The company promotes the right people and fires the right people.
    The pay, benefits, and perks are amazing.
    The people really care for each other and look out for one another.
    Work life balance is good – you just need to get your work done and then the company gives you a lot of flexibility to have a life.

Cons

No real cons come to mind. Some people say that high turnover is a con, but every fast growing company has a lot of turnover – that’s just part of extreme growth and here they are really smart about getting rid of the dead weight – I think the team we have now is getting better and better.

Keep up the good work!

The grass is greener at Lusive

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lusive Decor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work a good workday and leave at a decent hour and feel a sense of accomplishment. Not every day is early but I probably only stay later than 6pm two days a week and only worked one Saturday in the last 12 months or longer. This allows people to spend time with their families and focus on family at home and work at work. The health insurance benefits and other benefits, such as vacation at Lusive, have far outweighed any I have had elsewhere
    Continuous learning and technology implementation are points I think are very strong
    Salary is reasonable and the occasional bonuses are generous at times

Cons

Feeling of inability to learn more - Hitting a brick wall - while option of promotion are limited or not conducive. I think I could be doing more for the business side of things. If the company continues to grow I will be looking for ways I can have more responsibility.

I really don't have much to add to this section

Great experience, a lot to learn.

I have been working at Lusive Decor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have worked at Lusive Decor for a little over three months, and overall, have had a positive experience at the company. There is plenty to learn and people with great experience to learn from. The people working here challenge you to push yourself, resulting in a successful environment to progress and excel both as a company and individually. I have had the ability to be outspoken and take initiative independently to benefit the team, and have seen positive outcomes from it.

Cons

It is a very fast-paced environment - not one for timid individuals. The management at Lusive is straightforward and blunt, which at times, is overwhelming and nerve-racking. Though, they are well meaning, talented people, ultimately wanting to teach their team the ways of a profitable business in today's society. I've been successful in using this teaching style to motivation and push myself rather than taking it personally.

Consider more perks - half day Fridays? More team bonding in and outside of work?
    Work on compensating those who have proved themselves to be valuable to the team and the company as a whole.

Employee Friendly

Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lusive Decor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work with. Lot of opportunities to learn and grow. Company has grown a lot and that provides a lot of opportunities for advancement.

Cons

As with every organization, this one also has hurdles because of specific managers
    Advice to Senior Management – Good direction - keep doing that - train all upper managers to better work with employees.

90 Days In

Current Employee - Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lusive Decor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I just had my 90 day review and thought I should write up the company. overall pretty good. They said I should work on client follow up and being more organized but that they like how I've improved and keep getting better. I've actually never had a review at the other places I worked - they talk about providing opportunities but here at least they try to help you grow and let you know what you need to improve on. Now that I've had my review I become eligible for some pretty great benefits. 100% health care coverage - never had that before - and a whole on line benefit system of discounts and other things that you can sign up for. I haven't had a chance to look at them all yet but i'll report more on that later - maybe on the 1 year anniversary!

Cons

From some of the other reviews it looks like people that didn't make it past the 90 day review didn't like being let go. But just because you couldn't cut it doesn't mean the company is bad - it kinda means your bad... that's why they call it getting fired. Or laid off if that is a better term. But seriously sending things out to clients every day can be stressful if you forget things but one of the good things is that this company doesn't keep anyone around that isn't up to the job - the other places I worked no one really cared the way they do it here. One of the things that is also good is the "Work at Home" days you can take every month - that helps balance out the work-life balance some.

Advice to management? Try to keep training employees to understand architecture and design. Sometimes it is difficult to understand what the clients are looking for when all we work on is custom projects all the time.

Complete Lack of Humanity

I worked at Lusive Decor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Unfortunately it appears this site requires you to fill this space with at least twenty words to post your review.

Cons

The president yells at and belittles managers in front of other employees. He faults employees for project mishaps that resulted from things he told them to do early in the process but forgot it was his idea. He speaks in an intentionally vague way so that he can deride you when you ask him what he means. Employees are constantly talked to in a rude and condescending tone by all of upper management. You dread going to work each morning and by the time you go home they have convinced that you're not a person worthy of respect.

Coupon programs and movie days are fun extras if you're in a place that already treats you well, but they just seem irrelevant when nobody is treated with basic human dignity. If all they care about is making more money each year then they'll be fine as is.

Good to Great

Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lusive Decor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I think the best reasons I like working here is the type of projects we get to work on and the senior management here are very knowledgeable about this industry. I've worked in building and architecture for a long time and most people don't get to work on such large scale impressive projects. Some of the younger team members don't really realize how lucky they are to have a chance to work with some of the best in the business.

Cons

One of the biggest challenges is the staff since some of them are on the younger side and not very experienced with large building projects. Like most small companies there isn't a lot of training or time so that means we can succeed or fail on our own. That is great when you know what you're doing but harder if you don't have the experience yet.
    Sometimes it seems like my fellow workers take it really personally when a client is upset when they should just realize that the client is always right. Basically we should be grateful to be actually working in the design business and creating extremely amazing things.

Some of the reviewers seem to think that the managers at Lusive are too harsh. I think they are actually too nice. I've worked on lots of teams at different firms and think that there's nothing worse than a bad apple to bring the morale down. Keep all the good apples, kick out the bad apples and everyone would be happier. Basically no place is perfect but this is one of the better ones I've been at and there is always something new to work on.

Why Bother!

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Lusive Decor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice space with lots of natural light and exceptional Kitchen facilities with a breakfast provided for early arrivers.

Cons

No clarification of job responsibilities and no training on any associated interoffice programs. Poorest communication of any office I've been in.

Learn how to communicate rather than criticize. Motivate your people and not belittle them.

The Greatest Show on Earth

Current Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lusive Decor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Lusive for over 5 years and it is the greatest show on earth. I am living proof that you don’t need an education, have to know business or design but can still rise to the top if you just follow the systems. Some say it’s a cult but that’s just because they refuse to become part of the inner team. If they understood the wonderful opportunities available by sacrificing their families and friends for Lusive, they would also receive the Brownie points that are available. If you are willing to work 12-14 hours a day, the owners will guide you to success. The systems at Lusive are perfect and if you dedicate yourself to their perfect ways, then success will follow. Heck, Jesus was misunderstood too.

Lusive also has great perks - One of which is its pet policy. There are dogs scampering around the office. And, throughout the day, although not seen, you can hear the happy MEOWs of a cat. It’s kind of a fun game to see if you can find the meowing cat. Parties outside of work are also a big part of the work culture. You can use your company email to send out party invitations. If no one from the office staff is available, you can always seek out the Spanish speaking shop guys who are more than happy to come to your house and drink your beer. The owners are also very concerned about your personal life. In fact, they will go out of their way to research your social media to figure out how to connect with you. For example, if you and your friends outside of work like to play pocket pool, the owner will become the best pocket pool player ever, and then, give you guidance on become a better pocket pool player. I don’t think the owners of any other company would be that concerned about your personal life. Another benefit is you can cook for and serve the bosses lunch. How cool is that?

Cons

Space in the shop is underutilized. If there were childcare in the shop then more hours could be spent at work making lights.

There is a rumor that some would prefer Diet Pepsi over Diet Coke.

Sometimes they buy single-ply toilet paper and not the double-ply.

Keep doing what you're doing. The annual 50%-60% turnover ratio just shows that some people just don't get it.

New and out of the ordinary.

I have been working at Lusive Decor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Supportive and understanding team (usually)
    Amazing kitchen. There is always coffee and a fresh array of fruits and vegetables.
    You get to learn many things about design, and how a profitable business operates.

Cons

Blurred and misconstrued job descriptions and objectives.
    Open disregard for team members feelings
    favoritism

Listen and take the time to understand the concerns, needs, wants, and ideas from all employs within each level of the hierarchy.

Lusive Decor Photos