Luth Research Reviews

Luth Research President and CEO Roseanne Luth
Roseanne Luth

1. Telephone interviewer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Luth Research part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sometimes the people you work with.

Cons

Unfairness, usually a mediocre management of things, they have downsized and changed a lot their flexibility. Demanding with most assignments

Advice to Management

Value the good workers and be better organized

Very Poor Experience

I have been working at Luth Research

Pros

I wish I had something positive to say, but this really is an extremely poor company.

Cons

This company is a "second chance company" which means they hire a lot of criminals and put them in upper management. Their parking policies are poor. They are quick to hire, and quick to fire. This company has no ethics.

Advice to Management

No advise. They need to start over with management.

3. So far, so good. Seems like a place where you control your own destiny....

I have been working at Luth Research

Pros

Very friendly people work here in general. Casual work environment. Offers promotions from within to those who are qualified, and Luth Research prefers to promote from within (that's how I got my current position). Many opportunities to learn new skills in a fast paced industry. This is the type of place where having a good attitude can take you a long way. I don't feel like I'm being 'micro-managed', which is good because I think of myself as an independent worker. There were some periods of employee turnover a few months back, but this seemed to have stabilized more recently. Lots of free snacks, coffee, espresso, bottled water, & treats from clients. Pretty flexible when it comes to work-life events, but there is a little red-tape to go through to get schedule adjustments, or time off. Company lets workers tele-commute from home during bad weather events. Work-load can get busy at times, but our team always reaches out to one another to help out where needed.

Cons

Company does provide basic benefits to full time employees, although I would like to see better 401K benefits (earlier eligibility + percentage matching contributions), and other perks that let employees have a stake in the future of the company (such as private stock offerings or profit sharing - the key to keeping people around long term). Parking can be a hassle sometimes especially if you show up later, but the company does re-reimburse full-time employees for street parking on a daily basis. The building is somewhat of a maze with segmented work areas. You can go days on end before seeing the same person who works in the room right next to yours. This is counter intuitive to the new 'agile' work-place design which is more of an open workspace.

Advice to Management

Luth Research has an 'email' type communication culture, which can lead to workplace 'fragmentation'. I rarely see the individual I report to face to face (twice a week at best). I think it's important for upper management to interact with their staff face to face, not to micromanage the work-place, but to build familiarity and solidarity amongst the team, which ultimately leads to a work place that's based on chemistry. I would like to have 'reviews' on regular basis (every quarter) just to see where I stand with upper management, and to get feedback on areas where I can improve and grow. Everyone should be involved in seeing the 'big-picture' of projects so that they know what they are work on an working towards. I sometimes feel that I'm handed a task to complete, but I'm not made familiar with how the task I'm working on fits into the overall scope of a larger project. Not sure if the reason behind this is due to time constraints, or if management prefers to have people only focus on their areas of responsibility.

5. If you have any other legitimate options, I suggest those.

Current Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Luth Research

Pros

Some of the phone room staff seem happy (if you read the positive reviews, they all are from the phone room, I can't find any from salaried staff). Also we don't lie to our clients like we lie to our employees and prospective hires.

Cons

Pay is below industry standard.
    Very fear based management style - they rely on fear as a motivator. They also fear they won't be able to sell the company (the current priority) leading them to constantly change strategies before the last one was even given time to work.
    Everyone in the sales staff was lied to in the recruiting process about goals, how many attain them and realistic first year commissions. I've spent three years with the company and never seen anyone achieve their first year goals (they are sure to tell you different).
    People are not happy here. Go to LinkedIn and see how many account executives or analysts have been with the company more than two years. Once you fully understand where you are, you start working on leaving.

Advice to Management

Incentives are lame. Making the monthly revenue goals might call for more than a tasteless 6 oz smoothie, or nothing at all (this is actually the source of a a lot of butter laughs).

Hostile Work Environment

Former Employee - BDA in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - BDA in San Diego, CA

I worked at Luth Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met a few good people their, free snacks, cold medicine, janitorial staff is awesome, and they don't try and prove Glassdoor wrong.

Cons

Omg ...everything. If you enjoy working with felons who curse you out because they forgot to take their methadone then this place is just for you! Company is horrible.

Advice to Management

What management? The management comes and goes there as not too many people can deal with a place that has no rules in writing.

Worst company I have ever experienced. At Luth I encountered the worst management of my career.

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Luth Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paycheck. Vending machines at the break room. Covered parking if you are early. Management leaves a lot to be desired.

Cons

Environment is competitive in the worst way...there is no support from management. There are few places I can imagine being worst in terms of corporate culture.

8. Excellent service

Former Employee - Title Interviewer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Title Interviewer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Luth Research part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved working for Luth Research, friendly staff and co-workers. If you needed help, staff was there to help you out and explain thoroughly what needed to be done.

Cons

It was not steady employment, if they didn't have no new surveys coming in then we would be laid off.

Advice to Management

I learned a lot at your company how surveys are done and loved talking to clients when I was doing the surveys.

9. Don't expect much

Former Employee - Phone Interviewer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Phone Interviewer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Luth Research part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and a great location if you like downtown.

Cons

The job would've been better had the hours been stable, regardless I wouldn't expect much from any of the positions they offered.

A researcher analyst's worst mistake

Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Luth Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely none. The only good reviews you'll see on this company from from the call-center workers. No analyst I have ever met has enjoyed their experience here.

Cons

The dump loads of work in your lap without providing any training. They hire analysts just to get them through their busy season (August-February) and dump them as soon as business slows. They hire workers with little experience that they can get for very low salaries and give them little opportunity to succeed. Please don't make the same mistake I did and except a job from this company. You'll regret it!

Advice to Management

Attempt at treating your workers as human beings and strive to develop a company culture where employees aren't miserable and so easily discarded.

Mandatory overtime, poor working environment, high turnover rates

Former Employee - Online Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Online Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Luth Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent salary/benefits package, convenient location

Cons

Mandatory overtime, high turnover rates, little to no training or communication, hostile work environment

Advice to Management

Don't treat employees as expendable objects to be replaced every 6 months to a year. Spend more time providing training and feedback. Focus on long-term development and improving work/life balance for employees, rather than demanding long hours with mandatory overtime for little recognition or reward.