Lutheran Senior Services

A good place to work.

Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Lutheran Senior Services

Pros

Management was helpful and available for needs.

Cons

Closed minded upper management, not willing to listen to subordinates.

Keep a closer eye on low level and upper level managers at sites.

Great mission but lack of leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Lutheran Senior Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We live out our mission daily (Older Adults Living Life to the Fullest) through our resident centered care model. We do a good job of hiring people who truly care about our residents.

Cons

Benefits are mediocre for a healthcare company. Insurance is expensive if you have any health condition at all (blood tests determine how much you pay). Time off looks nice at a glance, however is all encompassing of major holidays, sick time, etc so it is sub-standard at best.

The home office has a lot of policies and procedures that hinder management's ability to effectively lead their community. There is a lot of tension about a "Guardrails" policy that was put in place by past leadership that indicated that communities could manage as they see fit. They are now trying to standardize across all communities with this policy still being in place. It results in resentment, frustration, and talking behind everyone's backs. No one trusts each other.

Lack of communication around big changes coming down the pipeline.

Get rid of guardrails, build trust within your management team, and get in front of big changes with proper communication.

consultant for Ms dever 2008 r2 and SAP BPC 7.5 windows.

Former Contractor - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Contractor - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Lutheran Senior Services as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I loved the gig. the staff is friendly and kind. Very small IT group. LSS provides wonderful opportunity to grow and learn.
    the work life balance is excellent.

Cons

the IT staff with limited espouses to the real world. this can be problematic. due to small size the limited access to support software can be frustrating..

Money Management Consultant

Current Employee - Money Management Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Money Management Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Lutheran Senior Services (more than 3 years)

Pros

working closely with senior citizens to write plans to give clients the ability to manage financial concerns

Cons

no diversity concerning types of clients

Look to gather information from advisers, how to better serve clients

Terrible

Former Employee - CNA in Webster Groves, St. Louis, MO
    Former Employee - CNA in Webster Groves, St. Louis, MO

I worked at Lutheran Senior Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked their 4 years an I loved an cared for all residents.

Cons

Lss has went down from when I first started . They cut hours everyday someone has to go home . The management are very sneaky and they dont appreciate their employees . I have witnessed hippa being broke numerous times residents r being mistreated an to report this it all falls on deaf ears because floor coordinators dont want their floor to seem out of control.

Treat your employees better an please believe that abuse is real at lss Webster Grove.

Money Hungry Corporation

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse

I have been working at Lutheran Senior Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful residents and co workers.

Cons

Never cost of living raise.
    Not able to use PTO
    Short staffed by choice, for "budget"
    Talks about culture change, but doesn't follow through.
    No concern for welfare of residents or employees.

The annual very small pay increases do not allow employees to live with the increase in cost of actual living.
    If you are concerned with the budget look at using LPNs for ADON positions instead of RNs. Also having a separate scheduling person for nursing is a whole entire person you are having to pay and provide benefits for when the DON or ADON should continue this duty. Why take away a task for them, when the direct care staff gets hours cut and the staff there has to pick up extra duties. That is definitely preferential treatment. Having enough staff hired as "full time" and not allowing them to work their at least 72 hours a pay period is making it very difficult for employees to make ends meet, and they are using up their PTO to make their hours and won't be able to have PTO hours if they want or need to take time off. Your good employees are going to end up looking for another job that is full time.

Kind Residents

Current Employee - Dietaey Supervisor
    Current Employee - Dietaey Supervisor

I have been working at Lutheran Senior Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and residents are great.

Cons

Sometimes hard to advance your career.

I think pay structure needs updating for dietary.

BEWARE!!! BEWARE!!! BEWARE!!!

Former Employee - Senior Billing Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Billing Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Lutheran Senior Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The HR person that hired me was very courteous and professional. Senior Management does seem to sincerely care about the residents and their reputation as a company and strives diligently to find ways of bettering their services in the community.

Cons

If you are applying for a billing position at the LSS Corporate Office please BEWARE!!!!!! A certain member of management will be nice just long enough to get you in the door, as it was explained to me by a current employee. There is virtually no training program in place for the position that I had, as was explained to me after I was hired. This certain member of management was EXTREMELY difficult to work with and seems much more interested in doing her own work and in not being bothered than in anything else, including training you, your reputation, the reputation of the company and how she is impacting it, and her employees. She is a HORRIBLE boss and trainer and she assumes that because she knows, you should know. You might hear, how I did, how she has sent other employees home crying many times because she is simply impossible to work with. I was told, as an explanation for her behavior, "You think she's bad now? You should have seen her years ago, she's improved, trust me!" You will be expected to know how to operate their very confusing software with no opportunity to ask questions and will discover that no one else has the time to train you and you will keep being reminded of how overly stressed and overworked everyone is. Your every move WILL BE monitored from a person on the team that this certain member of management has appropriated to watch you and report back to her, this was also put in writing. When you try to offer ANY explanation as to the outright untruths in what this certain member of management was told and has accused you of in writing, you could be told by her boss, as I was, that this employee "could not lie if her life depended on it". This was the same employee that was taking 45 minute lunches from combining her lunch and afternoon break AND was taking a 15 minute afternoon break and that was on her computer on the internet surfing frequently when I would walk up to her desk to ask her a work-related question.
    You will be in a very small cube with only two walls to hold up your desktop and you will be sitting out in the open with several other employees that will talk and tell you many things about how bad it is to work there, but are too afraid to go to management, primarily because of things like what happened to me when I went to the next level up in management. I was told that this manager, in her opinion, is virtually a perfect employee, and that they have worked together for years and you will not be allowed to SAY ONE SINGLE SENTENCE. You will notice how attitudes and demeanors magically change and become professional and supportive of you whenever managers from another area are within ear shot. This certain member of management went on vacation right after I started working there and I was told in the morning, the day that she returned, with her face crimson from anger, to "Get away from my desk!" when all I did was ASK HER FOR MORE WORK. When an employee that sits by you walks up to you, on their own, after witnessing the way that this person has treated you, in front of other employees, and says, "It's not you, it's HER, she treats us all like this, you'll get used it, like we all have, it's NOT you!", you realize IMMEDIATELY what a HUGE mistake that you have made in taking this job. Please save yourself the stress of looking for another job. This place was like working in hell every day.

Allow for employee surveys that carry no fear of retribution. Employees should be allowed the opportunity to speak/write freely about their feelings/experiences in order to make Human Resources aware of managers that have become excessively ego-driven, manipulative, and feared. Arrange for managers to be subjected to psychological evaluations to be hired in and arrange for on-going Sensitivity Training for any one currently in a Leadership position.

Merciful Attitude Empolyee

Former Employee - CMT in Jefferson City, MO
    Former Employee - CMT in Jefferson City, MO

I worked at Lutheran Senior Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

To work in a place where you can enjoy coming to work! The residents are awesome to work with. They will be missed. It have all the essentials to up hold all duties and task needing performed. Can be a stressfree enviorment to work with improvment. Can be the best place to work.

Cons

Working at this community was a great experience. I was a loyal employee. I worked hard to delivary the delicate compassation care I did. You not allow to say a word at this commutity. The people who run this community use their power to make you feel less then them. They are very unorganized. They never have enough staff to work. Because they run all employees away with their unprofessional personaities. They have a program in place call culture change. Which is a big joke. It supposed to be a patient center care program that provide care around the patient needs. Really it is not. At this community it will never be a success. State mandatory issues is not handle in a manner that employees can not execise the company policy for reporting. This is the worst place I ever work. So much under the table business. And all the other reviews is true. I experience all the good and bad. Hope the next new employee have a better chance for advancement. Cause I never had a chance walking though the door. Sad how they treat loyal commited employees.

In order to improve this communtiy is to look at the big picture and realize the residents is human not just a dollar more. That human is what makes a dollar. And the employees the secord brick to the foundation of what is making this company expand in the rate it is. Treating all employees equal just a great suggestion to adapt to while sitting in a department head position. A reminder those that poses a loyal concern is not. Less but not least a little more personity class will hep.

Good place to work!

Former Employee - Dining Services Associate in Jefferson City, MO
    Former Employee - Dining Services Associate in Jefferson City, MO

I worked at Lutheran Senior Services part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great residents, good food, light environment, nice staff.

Cons

Sometimes you are asked to work a lot of hours for being a part time employee.