Lutheran Services in Iowa

Pr. Doug Johnson

Good co-workers

Former Employee - BHIS Case Worker in Storm Lake, IA
    Former Employee - BHIS Case Worker in Storm Lake, IA

I worked at Lutheran Services in Iowa part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good people to work with and good work to be doing.
    Positive corporate culture.

Cons

Difficult to get enough clients for full time.
    Working with Magellan can be very frustrating.

I suggest being more aggressive in seeking out clients and advertising benefits of the program to families and children. One way would be to provide in-service programs to schools and invite the public to community presentations.

Support staff

Former Employee - Support Staff in Fort Dodge, IA
    Former Employee - Support Staff in Fort Dodge, IA

I worked at Lutheran Services in Iowa

Pros

Loved working with the clients. And my co workers

Cons

My boss had a lot to be desired. She believed a false accusation from a client. So in other words the supervisiers aren't very good or know how to relate with their staff.

Have more compassion and trust your staff. Investigate better actucssations when they come in.

Overall, good experience with the company. I worked for three years

Former Employee - BHIS
    Former Employee - BHIS

I worked at Lutheran Services in Iowa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I liked working with the families and helping them achieve skill success. I also enjoyed my coworkers and the team effort to help our families.

Cons

The pay was low and not much chance for salary increase. Too high expectations for caseloads and billables. Turnover too high to assist families best

Don't run like a business rather than a service

Wonderful place to work, Company seemed very organized.

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Ames, IA
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Ames, IA

I worked at Lutheran Services in Iowa part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I thought we had informative training, we were also able to do our training at our leisure. Clients were wonderful to work with, and so was my supervisor.

Cons

None, I wish I was still working there, but had to relocate with my family out of state and I haven't found a job since that compares.

Keep up the good work, you guys were great to work for.

Good place to work, if you love working only with clients.

Current Employee - Overnight Monitor in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Overnight Monitor in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Lutheran Services in Iowa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At LSI, you are in a group home, usually an apartment or house. You will probably be the only staff on your shift. The clients are given clear goals to reach, and you help them! The office staff is supportive.

Cons

I rather enjoy having other staff around, and can't wait for shift change sometimes. Sometimes the office staff can be aloof if something happens in the middle of the night, they expect you to handle it, with little oversight from them. This has only happened to me one time.

This job is not the good will you hope it to be

Former Employee - Youth Service Professional in Ames, IA
    Former Employee - Youth Service Professional in Ames, IA

I worked at Lutheran Services in Iowa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Health benefits exist but they are not as strong as they should be.

Cons

Many life threatening situations.
    Very little real support from above management.
    Company policies do not match their practices
    Floor workers are forced to cut corners due to low staffing and way too many children to watch.
    You will get hurt both emotionally and physically at this job by the children you support.

Be realistic with the work load you put on floor staff.
    The set up of the Beloit campus is terrible for rehabilitation. It offers far to much opportunity for things to go wrong.
    Provide staff with more in depth training that actually matches the tough problems that staff face on the floor.
    Counseling NEEDS to be provided for staff.

Youth Specialist

Former Employee - Youth Specialist
    Former Employee - Youth Specialist

I worked at Lutheran Services in Iowa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good starting point for social services career

Cons

Management is very unprofessional, extremely low pay for the type of work

Be more professional

Finally, a job that means something!

Current Employee - Youth Associate in Waverly, IA
    Current Employee - Youth Associate in Waverly, IA

I have been working at Lutheran Services in Iowa

Pros

The majority of staff are great to work with, they answer questions, and you are treated like you matter, they let you know where you stand with complements and constructive criticism, you get yearly reviews, and they even offer on site counseling for the employees because we work with some violent and abused children.

Cons

This site doesn't pay as much as others for the same job. The extra money out of pocket needs to be eliminated since they require it to stay employed, they need to be picking up the tab on things such as getting a Class D license and carrying high insurance coverage. The paid time off is nice but it would be helpful if they added paid/unpaid time for funerals instead of requiring us to use PTO.

Keep up the good work overall but maybe look into some of the extras you require your employees to pay for. Eliminate the requirement of having to get 40 hours per week, if someone calls in, just don't pay them for that time...Maybe think about going to three 8 hr shifts so the employees don't get burned out so fast. Other than that, this is a well run company and I'm proud to be an employee.

LSI is a great place to have a positive impact on the lives of people with disabilities.

Former Employee - Program Supervisor in Ames, IA
    Former Employee - Program Supervisor in Ames, IA

I worked at Lutheran Services in Iowa

Pros

Working with clients to reach goals and watching them succeed is the most beneficial part of the job. I enjoyed watched kids with disabilities develop socially and interact with others in the community.

Cons

It is a non-profit, so the pay and benefits are obviously not as great as the for profit industry. The economy is affecting the non-profit sector as donations are down and state and local budgets are being cut. This can trickle down and have an impact on employees salary and bonuses.

The turnover is extremely high with direct care sites so there is some issues with consistency when working with consumers. Sometimes staff are not all on the same page, etc.

Be more available.

An ok place to get experience but most people do not stay long

I have been working at Lutheran Services in Iowa full-time

Pros

LSI offers good paid time off and in most positions you can work from home part of the time depending on the job. Most supervisors are very nice and really care. There are a lot of different positions available all the time so if you are unhappy you have the option of moving to something else.

Cons

Even though most supervisors are great, the really good ones do not stay. There is a lot of turnover partly because of really low pay. The long term people are usually the ones who do not work too hard. Hard work is not rewarded. Most of the people moving up are able to do so because they are friends or favorites of management. Ambitious people leave after a year or two.There have been 2 raises given in 6 years and the cost of insurance keeps going up. Management blames the workers for the company's financial problems, telling them we just are not working hard enough.

Act like you are interested in everyone even if you are not. You will keep people longer that way. We can all tell who your friends are and that is not professional. Quit blaming your workers for the financial problems. If you get to know us, you will see how hard we all work.