Lutheran Social Services of Michigan

Updated October 19, 2014
Updated October 19, 2014
3.4

Mark Stutrud

Overall good company to work for

I have been working at Lutheran Social Services of Michigan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are a plus. Huge accruals in pto and std. Pension plan has employer match

Cons

Salary is what you can expect for a non profit.

Drop the heavy employee focus on the strategic plan

I came to work I did work here for 6 months, and left when it wasn't wroth it.

Former Employee - CNA in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - CNA in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Lutheran Social Services of Michigan part-time (less than an year)

Pros

pretty much everyone exempt management are nice people to work with. it was nice they gave me a job but that's far it goes. the residents are nice to take care of.

Cons

HR needs to hire more aids, nurses. the management at the location I work are rude you don't ask aids on a Friday to see if they want to work 3nd shift on Sunday and Monday. if he aid say no do not just hang up on the person because the person could not pick up. The pay is low 6 months working here and I am only getting paid 11.00 for third shift. which its is 11.00 for every shift by the way. if you o pick up you can still get mandated for the next shift. mandated its self is a huge con in this place.

my advice to management is to read think how well building compare to the other builds in this location. you are having high turnover in all positions. you had to hired in two agencies to help fill in the gaps were no one can come in to work. you went on a firing spread before you had people to replace them hint the two agencies. after looking at other reviews in different starts it seems the company itself need to look at high turnover is not good, and paying workers very little.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Lutheran Social Services of Michigan part-time

Pros

Benefits, hours, co workers, and if it when you need time off they have no problem

Cons

Training of new staff, not enought locations,

I have no advice for management as they are doing a wonderful job

Flexible organization, behind in compensation, great benefits, mixed feelings on leadership

I have been working at Lutheran Social Services of Michigan full-time

Pros

Compensation is uneven - some people are significantly underpaid, others are about where you might expect for a non-profit. Benefits are pretty good, especially the retirement plan. Hard to beat the amount of time off you can earn. I have a lot of flexibility in my work schedule (but there's still a give and take to it).

Cons

The work-life balance has gotten worse over time. Although there's flexibility with work schedules, it's very difficult to have a life outside of work without falling behind. To make matters worse, there seems to be a growing disconnect between the lofty visions of senior management and the details and complexities of the day-to-day work of the organization. Those who do the day-to-work have to shoulder both the responsibility of keeping things afloat and figuring out how to implement the latest management ideas. It can be hard to keep up.

Senior and middle management - particularly the new ones coming from outside the organization - should take the time to learn the organization before pushing forward with changes. There is opportunity for improvement and people from the outside can make a big impact on the organization with fresh ideas and different experiences, but you cannot completely disregard how and why things are done the way they are today. The long-term vision is great, but I think we aren't as good about figuring out how to get there and I fear management is making some avoidable mistakes by being too anxious and thinking the vision itself is enough to get us there. There are, however, some true gems in management.

A resident based community that really puts people first.

Former Employee - Admissions/Marketing in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Admissions/Marketing in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Lutheran Social Services of Michigan full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed my experience at LSSM. The employees are genuine about delivering great customer service. The work culture is positive. The upper management are approachable and listen. LSSM has a great retirement plan. The attitude, commitment, and devotion of the employees exemplify LSSM's mission statement.

Cons

The salary is lower than what competitor's offer. There is little room for advancement.

Lack of appreciation

I have been working at Lutheran Social Services of Michigan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Benefits and better Pay than many of the agencies offering same job.

Cons

Overworked, lack of quality supervisors, concerned more with the numbers than what is best for the children/families and employees.

A little appreciation goes a long way.

Underpaid

I have been working at Lutheran Social Services of Michigan full-time

Pros

Very nice people, benefits are pretty good

Cons

Pay is very low compared to everywhere else. Raises are always 2% or less no matter what. They will find a reason to knock your review scores down so they can keep it that way.

Also no room to move up in most departments here. Even when higher up positions open up, they always hire from outside.

Learn to give better raises and take care of employees who do good work.

Overall great company to work for.

I have been working at Lutheran Social Services of Michigan

Pros

This is a non-profit organization with a great mission and vision. They have great benefits for their employees and offer annual performance reviews with a salary increase. Staff is treated fairly and any concerns are addressed professionally and in a timely fashion.

Cons

There are not many cons to working for this company. Sometimes minor issues between staff occur because of personality differences.

Weekly staff meetings to help build a team atmosphere would be helpful.