Lutron

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mike Pessina

Pros:
  • "Others have said that Lutron is a great place to start a career, and I can see why"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Get to learn a lot of new materials"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "It can be difficult to maintain a healthy work-life balance and have career advancement"
    in 4 reviews
  • "While new employees get ample opportunities to make real contributions, they also bear the brunt of insufficient upper management"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A good place to start a career

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lutron

ProsFocussed on engineering high quality products
Very collaborative environment, all employess are given a chance to share ideas and make suggestions
Young dynamic and fun workforce
Good technical training and lots of in-house technical expertise
Great personal development program
Easy to get involved in other aspects of the business besides only engineering

ConsStarting salaries are pretty good, but moving up from there seemed a bit slow.
Projects tend to drag on
All engineers are involved in technical support. This is a good learning experience, but can be quite taxing and time consuming.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees more long term incentive to stick around.
Push engineers to find simpler ways of solving their problems. Complex solutions lead to too many bugs, too much technical support, and too much maintenance down the road.

Great place to work, but it can be a high pressure

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Lutron

ProsEngineers are typically given challenging projects; peers and managers are intelligent and professional. You will learn, grow, be challenged, and have plenty to do. Employees are given respect for their abilities; great products to work on, opportunities to move into sales or recruiting even if you are hired as an engineer; they look for people who are smart but also well-rounded. You are encouraged if not required to help with the interviewing process which is a ton of fun; co-workers will often go out of their way to help and teach you. Fun after work activities like softball, rock climbing, basketball, etc. Great location and place to live. Grocery store, places to eat are very close by. Easy commute. Lehigh Valley is a great place to live.

ConsPressure to stay late is consistent but not required; an 8-5 day would be close to the minimum. 8-5:30 or even 8-6 is closer to the norm. A common trend was to show up late and leave late which was annoying for someone like me who enjoys daylight activities. Vacation time is below average; no official flex hours; timelines and deadlines seem deliberately unrealistic to apply pressure to work longer hours. Professionalism is sometimes taken to the extreme. For example, non-work related discussions, like "how was your weekend?", "how are the kids?" can be non-existent. Lutron expects you to work hard and to go above and beyond for them. They take pride in keeping you out of your comfort zone so that you grow as a person. This can be fun, challenging, and rewarding, but it can wear you down. It can be difficult to maintain a healthy work-life balance and have career advancement. Local job market is limited if you choose to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to hire the best and brightest, but allow for more flexibility, work-life balance for those who want it. Applying continual pressure and expecting people to put Lutron first in their lives can cause good people to leave. Don't expect all employees to fit the same mold.

Best place to start a career

Design & Development Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lutron

ProsGood opportunities for advancement for those willing to work hard, good support for taking on new challenges and other lateral movement

ConsPrivate ownership can be erratic and unpredictable, low level of respect, trust and honesty between upper management and general employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuilding trust and respect between levels of management will be a key as the company continues to grow. A more quantitative approach to project evaluation is also important.

Great place to start after college

Project Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lutron

ProsIts a great place to start working after college and they have a great salary/benefits package and support former Coops and interns very well. Team based work is predominant, and employees generally work well together. There is a lot of room to move around (both horizontally to other business units) and vertically (into lower management). Further education is encouraged, especially through in house classes by local educators.

ConsIt is a younger company. Many in the lower management are less than 30 years old, which could affect some of the relationships with older employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a private company, it can be difficult to effectively communicate how the company is doing with the current economy. Remain as open as you can, especially to employees.

A review of Lutron Electronics from February of 2009

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lutron

ProsOne of the best reasons to work for Lutron Electronics is its workforce - the company features very talented employees and competitive starting salaries. The company also features a relatively flat org. structure. If you happen to be an engineer, you are quite popular it this company and will find plenty of like-minded people. Also, the average age of the company is fairly low, under thirty, and many of its employees are good people.

ConsAlthough starting salaries are fairly competitive, raises are less so once in the company. The company has a fairly rigid, traditional culture where "game-players" can prosper over those who do things the right way and don't cut corners. If you don't happen to be an engineer, you may find your area of the company to be somewhat slighted, belittled, or otherwise neglected.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf it's broke, fix it, even if a really important person didn't think of it first.

Lutron is a good place to work.

Field Service Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lutron

ProsLutron is a thriving company, with a large range of products. There are plenty of new projects at a time, with opportunities for meaningful input and design. The location in the Lehigh Valley keeps housing within a reasonable commuting distance. The benefits are great, especially medical. Most everyone is friendly, and willing to show you what they are working on, and the direction new products are going.

ConsLutron has a fairly tight information culture. Many things are not to be spoken about. People often work long hous. Customer communication is tightly controlled, and many times documentation is incomplete or missing. Lutron tends to be very conservative when planning IT upgrades.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the profits coming. Find ways to exploit a coming slowdown for growth.

Nice place to work if you live close by.

Brookdale Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lutron

ProsDo very little work for what is paid, but this can also get boring some days.
Depending on you boss, time off it easy to get with one or two days notice.
Fairly laid back place to work, as you show up to work everyday, you will have a job.
Always looking for new ways of doing everything, not matter how stange it might sound at first.
Pride in work it really high by everyone, if there is a issue you can see it in everyone's face, till it is fixed or corrected.
Everyday is different, work place is always changing

ConsCommunication is something that Lutron does not have, but we will say we do but do nothing ever about it.
Raise are $25 a week every year. If you bend over backward often, all you get is a "thanks", get the same raise as someone who shows up everyday.
Everyday you hear two different side of what should be done of how should it be done, and it can change at anytime. then they ask why did you not know this.
People get moved around alot, if you are at one job for more then 2 years, you are lucky, most move around every year or so.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of saying we have a communication issue do something about it.

Difficult to work for but salary above average.

Technical Support (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Lutron full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSalary above average. The company is very successful with a very high turnover. The staff average age is 30 and is very multicultural. Good opportunity for young graduates with a lot of ambition.

ConsHigh staff turnover. "Hire and fire" policy. Very long working hours. Don't expect much help from colleagues. You are on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no clear management policy. One manager will say something when an other will tell the complete opposite. It is extremely confusing for the staff.

It is a legit company, and they paid me well and provided a lot of benefits that I did not expect.

Outside Sales Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lutron as an intern for less than a year

ProsSeems to have a great work/life balance, solid benefits, values its people. Paid extra for overtime, provided us all with iPad's, reimbursed for all the miles we drove, put us up in nice hotels, rental cars, etc.

ConsI would never in my life want to live in Coopersburg, PA. I was also promised some things by some individuals in the company which, it turned out, they did not have the power to make happen. In my situation, there was always a lot of miscommunication between different people in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe up front about all of your expectations from the beginning as opposed to changing them over time because you want people to focus on one thing at a time.

Good experience

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lutron full-time

ProsGreat place to start your career that gives you a lot of responsibility

ConsNo accountability
Not very good at attracting top talent and retaining them

Worked for Lutron? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lutron reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lutron CEO Mike Pessina. All 71 reviews posted anonymously by Lutron employees.