Lutron

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mike Pessina

Pros:
  • "Others have said that Lutron is a great place to start a career, and I can see why"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Get to learn a lot of new materials"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "It can be difficult to maintain a healthy work-life balance and have career advancement"
    in 4 reviews
  • "While new employees get ample opportunities to make real contributions, they also bear the brunt of insufficient upper management"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great People. Average Company.

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Lutron full-time

ProsIt has already been said that the best thing about Lutron is the people. Regardless of your discipline, you will make close friends here, and you will have ample opportunity to grow your core skill set. For those who want to hit the ground running, Lutron is a great place to start a career - as the company relies heavily on new-hires to make key technical decisions in the company.
Lutron rewards achievement, though you'll need to be willing to stand-up for yourself and be your own champion.

ConsWhile new employees get ample opportunities to make real contributions, they also bear the brunt of insufficient upper management. Short-term strategies mean that work / life balance doesn't often factor into the equation -- crises flow down hill, and the company isn't shy about asking for copious uncompensated overtime from exempt employees. Lutron could be so much more than it is, and could attract and hold great talent if the atmosphere were less stressed and less repressed. Upper management could stand up for themselves and their employees -- but unfortunately it isn't the culture, and isn't likely to change before the regime.
 Anything and everything is subject to change at a moment's notice at managements' whim, often causing redundant effort and wasted time on "black hole" pet projects. Viable new ideas, visions, and strategies often get overlooked due to paranoia and a CYA approach that stems from trickle-down fear of the top management tier.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet Global Strategies and Stick to them -- Stop micromanaging the day to day operations of your project teams. The majority of your employees are very competent - allow them to work out the day to day issues.
Don't be afraid to let non-contributors go.
Recognize problem employees before they become a problem.
Continue to invest in a better HR department. HR is improving, but remains incredibly sparse for a company of this size.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Very stressful work environment with a hands-off management style. Poor communication between business functions.

Product Manager (Former Employee)
Coopersburg, PA

I worked at Lutron full-time for more than a year

ProsGood Engineering practices, good customer service. Fair/good employee’s benefits.

ConsResistance to change. Difficult environment. Favoritism. Poor communication between business functions.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should reevaluate their culture, observe at least some of the best practices utilized outside Lutron.

Great Experience, nice people

Senior Project Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)
Coopersburg, PA

I have been working at Lutron full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility, privately held, very stable and fast growing

ConsLocation, access to big cities and cost of living

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat work !

Great name in the industry, chaotic company

I have been working at Lutron full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLeader in the industry. Knowledge gained. Benefits. Training. Tuition reimbursement.

ConsManagement-old and outdated. HR needs some real HR specialists. Not a lot of promotions. Bonus and profit sharing no longer a guarantee every year. Small salary increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to make decisions and then stick to them.

Friendly company

I worked at Lutron as an intern for less than a year

Pros-Good Pay
-Near a decent amount of places
-Friendly
-Got a lot of experience in many different areas

Cons-Very strict (and somewhat invasive) housing situation.
-Could give more guidance

Overall a good experience and a nice place to work

I worked at Lutron full-time

Pros-Friendly People
-Break Time
-Work at different assembly lines
-Get to learn a lot of new materials

Cons-Lack of shift to shift communication

Engineering Coop/ Intern

Engineering Co-Op (Former Employee)
West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Lutron as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood Pay
Good Housing
Small Mechanical Team
Flat Management
Overall, the office was well occupied with tasks and daily life is fun.

ConsSmall Office
Gender Diversity very very poor at Florida Office.
Look at converting coops to full time more often!
Donot sponsor visa that easily.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove on Gender Diversity

Could be a great place to work but...

Technical Designer (Former Employee)
Coopersburg, PA

I worked at Lutron as a contractor for more than a year

ProsCafeteria, the people, the location, the constant learning experience

ConsMake up their own rules in regards to "contractors" and pay men more then women with the same qualifications. HR is terrible. The company does not follow through on the contract to hire process and then just "drop" contracts for no reason like there are not human beings attached to them. Repost the position weeks later. Won't rehire you if you've worked there previously.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the "we don't rehire ex-employees" nonsense, particularly in the creative fields. Why wouldn't you want people working for you who already have relationships with engineering, standards, creative and so on? Stop making up rules in regards to your contract-to-hire people, who are a valuable resource and human beings who make fantastic contributions. Ending contracts after a year only to hire someone new to train for months and the cycle repeats does not make sense.

Flat structure and frequent changes, providing opportunity and sometimes chaos.

I worked at Lutron full-time for more than 8 years

ProsOpportunities to move into different areas and work in varied projects and roles. Flat/non-existent org chart, so there aren't a lot of management layers between the average employee and top leaders.

ConsInformal structure means internal politics can dominate decision making. Frequent changes in projects and priorities often aren't well-explained

The most mismanaged company I have worked for.

Coopersburg, PA

I have been working at Lutron as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThe management is clueless so you can basically work at your own pace or skill level.

ConsThe management is clueless and basically comprised of old timers who were with the company from the beginning and when they mess up in one department are not fired but just moved to a new one to mess up and rather then hire permanent employees they rely heavily on temp workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some full time employees and don't be afraid to fire some managers and non productive employees.

Worked for Lutron? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lutron reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lutron CEO Mike Pessina. All 71 reviews posted anonymously by Lutron employees.