Lutron Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Madness , sheer and utter madness

Former Employee - Marketing in Coopersburg, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Coopersburg, PA

I worked at Lutron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great products, Generally great people to work with, and you will learn and grow in your function and also how to operate in a unique political cult-ure

Cons

Senior Management are stuck in the 1960's and were past their best 20 years ago. Chaos is encouraged along with infighting (the owners belief being this helps invention). Then there is the "penalty box" fall out of grace and that's where you go. (Legend has it the Quality director was sent to the owners pear farm for a while.) Do not trust your manager for a minute, not because he/she is deceitful, rather they are living in fear of the penalty box.

The culture I'm sure was great when the company was small, but now its the Cult of Joel. This works up to a point but the business needs to evolve as ultimately its the owner who is killing his life's work

The really sad thing is it could be a great place, it succeeds despite itself. The level of engineering skills, invention etc. is fantastic, just not managed or deployed in any productive way. Hence the high turnover of staff

Advice to Management

This is the 21st century - Deal with it.!!

Stressful, toxic work environment

I have been working at Lutron full-time

Pros

- Job security
    - Growth opportunities for the first 2 years when hired fresh out of college
    - Opportunities to learn/get trained (in-house and external)

Cons

- Chaos which leads to lot of inefficiency. The company translates chaos to being agile where as they are running around in circles without direction.
    - Treats the owner as god, some messed up cult mentality.
    - Does not care about employee long term growth/aspirations
    - Expects employees to treat every project as the highest priority project and do whatever it takes to get it done now. Even before the project is started it is treated as if we are behind schedule and it should have been completed yesterday leading to a lot of stress.
    - Inflexible: Have to wear formal clothes, need to be at work by 8:30 (even if its snowing heavily) and list goes on!

The cons out weigh any pros, just stay away!

Advice to Management

Ha-ha as if you give a damn and listen or care!

3. Great place to begin your career.

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer

I have been working at Lutron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fantastic coworkers, small company feel, ok benefits, job security

Cons

Unstructured development paths, archaic pay structure, vacation time is less that other companies, inflexible with change

Great company to start

Current Employee - Design & Development Engineer in Coopersburg, PA
    Current Employee - Design & Development Engineer in Coopersburg, PA

I have been working at Lutron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lot of responsibility is given to new hires
    - Opportunities to interact with multiple wings of the business
    - Good product development experience
    - Can move to any part of the company if you are motivated

Cons

- Slow paced, not energetic
    - Recognition of employees often late

Advice to Management

- Recognize employees before they decide to leave
    - Build more energy as part of the culture

6. I have been working at Lutron

Pros

For those that want to grow and explore new, exciting opportunities throughout their career, Lutron is the place. Before I came to Lutron, I would got bored and left companies about every four years. Their career paths were very linear and jumping to another path was nearly impossible. I thrive on change and constantly trying to improve my performance, the performance of my group, and the company as a whole. Lutron has given me the opportunity to take on many different roles, gain new skills/knowledge, take graduate classes, drive change, and contribute to the success of my group and company. I have seen people in their 20's get to work in foreign countries, develop expertise in their vocation, and take on leadership roles. Employees rarely stay in one area of the company over the course of their careers. They become well-rounded and knowledgeable about Lutron's business through customer interaction, rotational assignments, developmental opportunities, and higher levels of responsibility.
    Overall the company stands by its employees and strives to be fair and equitable in all decisions.

Cons

No company is perfect. I always look for a company with many more pluses than minuses. Lutron has a very strong culture and it is not for everyone. Whenever you work at a company that is focused on winning and hires exceptionally smart, passionate people, the standards are high. It values hard work, passion, and innovation. There is an expectation that you will do whatever it takes to win and meet the customer's needs. People at all levels are expected to pitch in and help out when needed, whatever the task. Not everyone wants to work in a place that has really high expectations of personal commitment, but prefer companies that have structured job responsibilities and a clear line between work/home. Lutron does not, but that is why the company has so many years of success behind it.

Advice to Management

Continue to offer employees multiple ways to grow, challenge themselves, and contribute to the overall success of the company.

Was once a great company

Current Employee - Director in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Lutron full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The quality of the engineering team is second to none. Great people, great talent. If you join straight out of school, you will love the place initially and wonder why I only gave it two stars. Continue to the "Cons"....

Cons

The politics in middle and top management are awful. The leadership is well past their prime (passed it 30 years ago) and make the most ridiculous demands of the people around them. They attempt to obey the often impossible and incomprehensible requests, because to do otherwise is suicide. However, they take turns ratting each other out as they all try to stay in good grace. The leadership is sometimes disrespectful to women and minorities, although I don't think it is intentional (just stuck in the era before computers). HR has been described as "pure evil" by many, and I can't say that I'm impressed with their ethics.

Bonuses have basically gone away since the last stock market crash (over 6 years ago now), even though the company has reasonable profits and a strong balance sheet. Don't make the mistake of joining "for a few years" and leaving afterwards - the non-compete will keep you from working anywhere else in the industry. And if you don't believe me, PAY a lawyer who knows contracts to review it in depth (and in the context of PA law) - don't use your cousin who is reading it over a beer during a football game.

Advice to Management

Sadly, there isn't an obvious solution. You guys have devolved to a level of back-stabbing that can't be fixed. I guess we all wait for the day that no one speaks of and see what happens then.

Feels like a depressing cult

Current Employee - Engineer in Coopersburg, PA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Coopersburg, PA

I have been working at Lutron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good starting salary
    -Decent benefits
    -Most people are nice
    -Training is good
    -Products are at the top of their industry.

Cons

-Raises are ridiculous.
    -The longer you work at Lutron, the longer you are expected to work each day. There is no flexibility in the work hours so employees are required to be in at 8:00 AM and frequently forced to stay until 8:00 PM.. This is not a spoken of issue but not doing so will lead to you finding yourself behind on nearly everything. In other words, There is no work from home option even for embedded programmers the longer you work at Lutron, the less you get in return for your hard work.
    -At any given moment, engineers will stop everything for a speech from the 80+ year old owner to talk about profits. He's treated as if he's the high priest in our cult moreso than the owner and founder of the company.
    -Dress code is rather strict.
    -Everything is beige or grey. Literally everything is beige or grey. It's depressing.
    -Pretty much everyone there for over a year mentions that they're looking to leave the company. This seems to reflect on middle management who seem to be just as discontent.
    -Upper management is old and refuses to modernize the company.
    -The location is in the middle of nowhere.

Advice to Management

Get with the 21st century.

Great company for professional growth and challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coopersburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coopersburg, PA

I have been working at Lutron

Pros

As many people have already commented, the people are the best thing about Lutron. I have never worked anywhere (nor do I believe I will ever work anywhere in the future) with as many smart, intelligent, and generally caring people who want to do good for the customer and the company.

Cons

Lutron prides itself on its ability to innovate and as such keeps the organization in a state of chaos. However, it is not an organized chaos and often it feels that it is just the result of trying to react to the ever changing desires of the owner. As a result, there is much inefficiency and anyone who is more of a process oriented person will find themselves struggling when trying to create more order to fix the problems.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve on more forward thinking long term planning that translates better on down the rest of the company trying to execute the vision. Allow and push for more flexibility for more decision making at lower levels of management to avoid indecision.

A somewhat misled tech career incubator that often burns out their amazing talent too quickly

Former Employee - Design & Development Engineer in Coopersburg, PA
    Former Employee - Design & Development Engineer in Coopersburg, PA

I worked at Lutron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Surprisingly impressive technology and innovations in what many would see as a dull industry
    - Incredibly talented coworkers, great culture
    - High quality products that engineers are proud of making
    - Amazing place to start a career - as much personal responsibility as you can stomach and tons of learning opportunities
    - Fast paced and exciting, if that's your thing
    - Salary is okay. Benefits are okay.

Cons

- Often not willing to pay for the resources necessary to get things done
    - Long hours, short notice, little to no appreciation of personal life (especially if you don't have a family yet). The young guys get stepped on.
    - Emphasis on quality trumps all other (often more logical) decisions. This could be seen as good and bad.
    - Management rarely willing to hear out good ideas coming from the bottom, even with fully working hardware.
    - Highly respected but obsolete senior design engineers are often off in the weeds making impractical hardware that junior engineers are routinely tasked with cleaning up later. Guess who gets the glory when it works? Guess who doesn't get a shot at the initial design work?

Advice to Management

Listen to your engineers and give them a shot.
    Learn to be more agile in product development.
    Respect the work/life balance of your overworked engineering staff or they will leave you.

No focus eorkaholics but driven and smart people

Current Employee - Marketing Project Leader in Coopersburg, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing Project Leader in Coopersburg, PA

I have been working at Lutron full-time

Pros

There are a great number of very smart hard working people.

Cons

People leave and are not replaced, they just take the work of the people who leave and divide among other, they keep adding more and more work on others until they can't take it and then leave as well.
    -promotions are based on who you are related to, not based on merit. Even if you do great, you can't get promoted more than once every 3 or 3 years and even then your boss needs to fight HR on your behalf to get anything.

Advice to Management

Take care of the people!!

RSS Feed </> Embed