Luxottica

Updated January 28, 2015
3.1

Luxottica CEO and Director Andrea Guerra
Andrea Guerra

Pros
  • Yearly free pair of glasses (prescription or plano) valued up to (in 7 reviews)

• 1 Free pair of sunglasses every year up to (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the company's choices of upper management are questionable (in 17 reviews)

• limited staff with crazy sales goals (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales

I have been working at Luxottica

Pros

Easy scheduling from college to home.

Cons

Bad customer relations and treat employees poorly

Don' t be fooled....it's all about the money ... money ...money

Former Employee - Store Manager Luxottica
    Former Employee - Store Manager Luxottica

I worked at Luxottica full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic employee discounts and freebees as well as vision benefits.

Cons

Limited career movement unless you live in metro area.... and forget about keeping your job past ten years in the more suburban areas- particularly if your doing it well- the last thing Lux wants to do is to continue to give pay increases to a manager in a smaller volume store. They can simply manufacture a situation to send said manager packing and replace them with someone less experienced that they can pay significantly less.

Your tenured managers that you are so quick to send off to save a dime are your best investment. Honor them for the hard working and loyal employees that they are.

Great work environment.

I have been working at Luxottica full-time

Pros

Company provides weekly meal cards employees can use at their cafeteria. Coworkers are always helpful and kind. Great work environment. Supervisors are understandable and work with their employees.

Cons

Difficult to transition to a new position within company due to budget issues and controversy with management in Milan. Limited growth. Requests of any kind usually take extended periods of time to resolve.

Work on retention and communicating with employees.

sales associate

Former Employee - Sunglass Hut - Sales Associate in Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Sunglass Hut - Sales Associate in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Luxottica part-time

Pros

Loved this job. Great pay rate and good commission. Learned how to engage customers easily and felt comfortable doing it. I had an awesome team with me. Really understand and display that they carry quality over quantity products in the store. Had great interactive app on Ipad that customers would use all the time. Even though I no longer work there, I will still be a loyal customer for life.

Cons

Really wish the store I was at had a security camera, other than that, no complaints!

I have no advice for them, I think mine did a great job

Great College Student Job

Former Employee - Sunglass Hut - Sales Associate in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Sunglass Hut - Sales Associate in Boise, ID

I worked at Luxottica part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility with hours, energetic and friendly atmosphere, small team of co-workers enables employee bonding. Great manager!

Cons

If you are not a natural at sales pitch, it could be a challenge to meet your weekly goal. Keeping an eye for shop lifters when the store is busy is always a challenge especially if you are by yourself

Great Job at management! I think the the manager at the location where I worked did an awesome job at being at being a transactional and transformational leader!

Good benefits and employee discount, horrible management.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at Luxottica full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The discounts you get on glasses & commission on sales were great.

Cons

Horrible upper management, complained to HR more than once before any action was taken.

sales associate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Luxottica full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great employees, great discounts, great as a pt job.

Cons

will not promote. been there for three years, kept being promised a promotion if i did certain things......the promotion was never delievered after i did everything plus more

Optician

Current Employee - Licensed Optician in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Licensed Optician in Denver, CO

I have been working at Luxottica full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Insurance and Pay is good especially if you get commission for making your sales goals.

Cons

Get ready for a high pressured sales job with unrealistic sales goals. You can't find people to cover because they staff minimum employees. Pay raises are not based on performance and are very small. They burn out good employees. Management is constantly mico managing.

Show some appriciation to your hard working employees. Talk more possitive in meetings instead of beating down everyone over sales.( not a good motivator) Give realistic sales goals and don't punish a store with crazy sales goals just because they did good the previous year.

Not as bad as some other retail jobs I have had.

Former Employee - Sunglass Hut - Sales Associate in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Sunglass Hut - Sales Associate in Evansville, IN

I worked at Luxottica part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Most of the time it was great working there. I loved dealing with the customers, doing paperwork, and looking at the newest sunglasses that were sent in every week.

Cons

Definitely having numerous of managers and hardly any training. The regional manager/managers were never enthusiastic about making the goal for us to get commission. Probably because they were never trained. Also, working by yourself for 8 hours and sitting was breaking the rules, was a little much. With back problems already and during slow times, the days got long.

Keeping managers at the location was hard. I went through 3 different managers during my 4 month time there at Sunglass Hut. Definitely need to train their employees/managers more. The only reason why I knew so much is because my brother worked there before me. If he wasn't there to help me with each step, I would have been completely lost. The Regional Manger was so hard to get ahold of, and when there were new employees or problems with the computer/system, we would have to call numerous of times to get a response.

No 401K plan for many managerial, office and IT employees

Current Employee - Office Employee in Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Office Employee in Mason, OH

I have been working at Luxottica full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice employee sales, relaxed dress code, good cafeteria.

Cons

Major heads up to those employees making over the Highly Compensated Employee IRS limit, which isn't that high and hits a fair number of the office and IT staff. This company cuts off your ability to participate in their 401K plan at 3% of your income, even though the HR documentation only says "may" and makes it out to be rather discretionary through some sort of vague process where they'll tell you later if it affects you. There's no question here - it absolutely does cut off at the IRS limit! Since HCE applies in your second year, and you must be in your second year in order to get the company matching %, this means that you won't see that full company match either. It is not a safe-harbor plan and they apparently make no attempt to validate whether HCE's can participate each year. So if you thought this benefit was part of your package, it's not. Their deferred compensation alternative is not a great substitution as you cannot defer until retirement like a 401K. It's only deferred until your separation from the company (voluntary or not, high risk on that one), whereupon it is returned to you and you will have a very large tax bill.

Also, fair warning that getting a "3" on your annual appraisal (meets expectations) will only get you half your bonus.

Most companies this size have safe harbor 401k plan. Implement one! If you want to attract and keep better leaders, you need to work on your benefits at this level a lot more. Be a lot more honest in the hiring process about what the perks really are or not, and whether people are really eligible, rather than just handing out a standard benefits leaflet that probably doesn't apply to them. Don't make people have to dig through volumes of plan information to have to find this out, when HR knows full well that the candidate won't get that advertised benefit, period. And if it's not really possible to get one's full bonus (other than being the miracle one in a million perfect rating winner), change the structure so that it's not so misleading. Take a hard look at all the benefits - are they really as advertised, or do employees have to be so clever and jump through so many hoops to get them that they are not really viable?

Luxottica Photos