Lydell Jewelry Design Studio

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Michelle Serruya

Lydell NYC

ProsThe team is great, and management is open to suggestions.

ConsIt's a very fast pace sink or swim environment with a revolving door of people.

Disappointing. Disorganized.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsReally nice coworkers, awesome designers and some great accounts.

ConsEverything is micromanaged. The president is nice, but easily frazzled / distracted and rarely gives constructive feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire an HR consulting firm to iron out the wrinkles.

Overworked, Unfairly compensated, No respect from "Management".

(Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsNon-management staff is incredibly friendly and hardworking. Management will supply with you pizza every now and then to let you know that "they appreciate you."

ConsThe first review really nailed it. Management needs to get its act together. I agree with everything that's written there. There definitely is no "HR" person, although she likes to call herself that. If there is a problem, you're better off just smiling and nodding, because it probably won't be resolved any time soon. You will be doing work that you are capable of doing, but once management realizes this, there will be more of it coming your way - and you will not be compensated fairly, nor acknowledged that there is more work on your plate. I'm almost positive that you will be micro-managed and constantly questioned about what it is you are doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company needs structure and most importantly hardworking, competent, talented employees need to feel like they are valued. Even in a rough economy, I'd rather pick up dog sh*t than go back to work for this company.
    At least there, I'd know what I'm getting myself into.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsOpportunity to work with great private label accounts.

ConsOverall low rapport, overworked people, no respect from management.

Creative, exciting and overall a great place to work

ProsThe best reasons to work at Lydell include friendly team members, a culture of promoting from within, and the ability to work closely with management and learn from them.
    While sometimes it can get really busy, I find everyone pitches in, gets the job done well and derives pleasure from it.
    Management fosters independent thinking, grows junior staff members and gives department heads lots of freedom to run their departments creatively. A lot of the staff has been there for over 5 years and they share their knowledge with newer members. For people with a passion for their work, this is an amazing place to be.
    The client list is great too, so for a fashion lover, it's a great place to work.
    I've also never worked a weekend in all my years here, which is unheard of in this industry, and for a smaller company they have great benefits and vacations.

ConsThere is a lack of downtime sometimes. It can get super busy (which I guess is actually not a con!) but catching up during market weeks is tough.
    I'd also like to see the creation of a mentoring circle, I heard it's in the works but it hasn't happened yet.
    While I understand the frustration of the other reviewer's ability to get ahold of management, I actually think their style is refreshingly casual, and they have an open door policy where anything is ok to discuss. And from what I've seen over the years, they have taken great care of staff members who have fallen ill, and are extremely compassionate and generous.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best feedback I'd offer to management is to be careful who they bring on board. Unfortunately a couple of previous hires had extremely negative personalities and they were difficult to please and difficult to work with. Fortunately they are now gone and while they are still complaining (as evidenced by the other review) current staff is fantastic, upbeat and hardworking. Oh, but could you do reviews on time please?

Worked for Lydell Jewelry Design Studio? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lydell Jewelry Design Studio reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lydell Jewelry Design Studio CEO Michelle Serruya. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Lydell Jewelry Design Studio employees.