Lyft

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
3.3

Logan Green

Pros
  • Make money to drive people around, very flexible hours and meet new people (in 13 reviews)

• Flexible schedule and you can adjust your hours later on also (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • rating system that still does not truly reflect the drivers or passengers) (in 21 reviews)

• The wear and tear on your car, pay is not dependable as it fluctuates constantly (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting and fun job that works around your schedule.

Current Employee - Driver/Mentor in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Driver/Mentor in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Lyft part-time (less than a year)

Pros

For those that are in-between jobs, just graduated, or have some extra time, Lyft is a great opportunity to work and meet new people! Each experience is different and allows you to be social.

Cons

Some days/times are not busy. If you're not wise with your down (waiting) time, it can get boring and frustrating.

No advice!

Driver

Current Employee - Lyft Driver in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Lyft Driver in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lyft full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Make couple hundreds a week, easy peezy.

Cons

Gas prices is helping now, but once the Gas prices goes up again, you will see a huge difference of your net earning going down. I suggest drive a Hybird or 4 Cycl economy car, if you drive 150 miles city driving daily Gas and repair cost will hunt you down.

After talking to many clients, the major complaint, drivers do not know the addresses and takes them a long time to figure out. I suggest do a online address exercise as part of teaching new drivers to learn. I'll be happy to help and show u how, after 25 years driving a Cab.

Grate job to do well or stay afloat

I have been working at Lyft

Pros

This job saved my butt. I met some really cool people. It was easy as just turning on your phone and
    picking up people. No boss, you work when you want to work. They pay on time every week. You can make some real money if you put in the time.

Cons

Lots of wear and tear on your car. You will spend a lot of money on Gas. Lot's of people cancel at the last minute or while you are in route. You have to put in 8-12hours or more to see real money. Some days you will make as low as $4.00 per person.

Convenient Place to Work

Current Employee - Driver in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Driver in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Lyft as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I am a college student. Being able to drive when I have free time on my college schedule creates a very flexible work schedule. Also the pay is great when it is busy!

Cons

Drivers should be paid a higher percentage of the ride cost. The company already makes a flat rate on every ride. Also the "peak" or busy hours are often 8pm-5am which as you can see isn't what I would like to call.....natural.

Pay the drivers a higher percentage of the ride cost because there is already a flat rate fee lyft charges every costumer per use.

I love Lyft!

I have been working at Lyft full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love EVERYTHING about Lyft.
    Great customer service for the drivers AND customers.
    Great incentives.
    Fantastic Mission.

Just all around awesome sauce.

Cons

The only challenge I have with Lyft is that the customer base just isn't as large in the L.A area as other ride sharing companies.
    We should change that :)

Keep up the fantastic work.
    Never go astray from your mission.

Convenient but not sustainable.

Former Employee - Lyft Driver in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Lyft Driver in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lyft as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

As a driver, the job has fantastic flexibility. I enjoyed driving throughout San Francisco while often interacting with interesting people.

Cons

You work as an independent contractor meaning that you must put money aside to pay for taxes. You must spend on gasoline and on car repairs, and the more you drive the more you wear down your car. I made more money on an average week when I first started working for the company. Towards the end I had to work more hours to make the same amount of money I previously made.

Treat your drivers better whether it be through pay or benefits or both. Especially drivers who work over 20 hours a week.

Could be a great company

Former Employee - Driver/Mentor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Driver/Mentor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Lyft as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The ability to make your own hours is amazing, most passengers were great people, the pay has potential to be nice ($1000/wk), freedom to be yourself, a great community of people who are there to help, and a rating system that in my opinion worked great.

Cons

As the price wars between Uber and Lyft continue, the new licensing requirements, and other fees continue to rise, it is becoming harder and harder to make a living from Lyft. I started out working 35-40 hours per week, making around $1000 gross (you pay for insurance, gas, milage, exc) but when I left those same hours would only net $600.

The rating system does have flaws, but but if you have a good personality then it's no problem. I left with a 5 star rating, and over 1,000 rides with no gimmicks (water, candy, funky designed car, exc).

Support through the company is horrid. I had someone leave their Iphone in my car, and Lyft never once replied to any messages about returning it. This was before they had a lost and found, so the phone just sat in my car. I still have it if the passenger ever finds me. The same support is true when it comes to accidents (I was never in one, but I heard that you get taken off the platform if you get into an accident), and there was always the chance someone would vomit in your car.

Scale back your price wars with Uber. Differentiate yourself from them by hiring only the best drivers (currently they hire anyone with a pulse), with great personalities, and knowledge of the city and attractions. People will pay more for a better service (IE Nordstrom's), then by only having the best you would win the war with Uber without sacrificing your driver's quality of life.

Rating method

I have been working at Lyft

Pros

Help to evaluate in two way

Cons

Is very subjective. I was working hard for four days. At first I received five stars the last day I received 4.5 and the next day, meanwhile I was driving my first lyift they suspended me.

Keep Away

Current Employee - Lyft Driver in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Lyft Driver in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Lyft as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

On the plus side, the hours are very flexible, and you meet some interesting people as a Lyft driver.

Cons

Where do I begin? Unless it's in a major city, Lyft simply refuses to advertise anywhere in public spaces where the public at large will know what Lyft does as a company. In the market I live in, they refuse to advertise anywhere in public, even while just an hour up the road from where my market is located at, they have billboard ads promoting Lyft throughout the city, and Lyft ads being shown in some of the largest sporting venues in Denver. In many areas, all they relied on was drivers to do the marketing, with much of it being done via business cards containing free ride codes worth $25 for first time passengers, or flyers. In my area as well as many others, there is no longer any incentive for drivers to market Lyft as a brand (they're charging for promotional materials that drivers can use), let alone incentive for passengers to sign up for the service. Just know that if you jump on board with Lyft, it may be very quiet due to a lack of advertising being done thanks directly to Lyft's own actions.

Next, the pay. I jumped on as a driver in late July after learning of it from a friend of mine. In the beginning, a driver could easily make $1,500 a week or higher because of high demand. Unfortunately, in my market and in many others, it was done using the dumbest promotional idea ever invented in the scope of world history - 50 free rides for each new passengers. Now, with the almost draconian rate cuts of 30% or higher being in place for almost a permanent basis, you cannot really make anything as a Lyft driver, and that's even if you're putting in 50 plus hours a week as a driver. Just know that you're basically pumping money right back into your gas tank, and nothing else. If you have a full-time job, stick with it - I'm currently stuck with Lyft as my only source of income, as there is nothing else in my area that is hiring at the moment. This job will land you on the streets, and even more especially given that they have rate cuts in place that may at best earn you the occasional $5 ride here and there, along with the fact that they will not provide wide scale marketing in public areas outside of what they do online. I'm already close to landing on the streets and losing my car because I simply do not make enough anymore with this job. If anything, do as the Rideshare Guy advises - use Lyft sparingly as a driver in areas like where I live. Oh, and keep this in mind - the majority of the passengers simply do not tip, even after the app was refined more to allow for tipping.

Third, the rating system. I'm not going to bite my tongue here - it sucks. You often spend entire nights driving around angry, irrational and drunken kids who will give you a poor rating over the dumbest reasons, no matter how nice and professional you are with them - reasons that include not going over the speed limit so they can get home quicker, not running through red lights, not letting them do things in the car that are unsafe and against the law to begin with, or even failing to communicate the fact that, in certain cases, they will not cover the cost of friends who remain in the car to go elsewhere after they are dropped off. This has actually happened to myself and several other drivers in my area. The rating system really, truly sucks, and in my case, I was running at a 5.0 until recently - all it took was a few bad reviews, and my rating since has hovered around a 4.61 for the past two weeks - and it won't go up even though I have accumulated nothing but five star ratings since my rating dropped. You go under a 4.6, and you're at risk of "deactivation" - quite simply, another term for being fired. The rating system does not truly gauge what is happening on the ground, and you simply have no ability to contest the ratings you are given. You don't even receive any constructive feedback, just vaguely worded comments on how the ride was. Lyft goes by the philosophy that the customer is always right, no matter how different it is for us drivers.

Fourth: watch out when it comes to insurance. The insurance Lyft offers only covers passengers, nothing else. If you get into an accident that is not your fault while passengers are on board, your vehicle is not covered, and as a bonus, your personal insurance may not cover it at all. You are running a high risk in that area. Tread carefully - I had a close call due to a drunk driver two weeks ago while working in the Denver area, and still I received a poor rating from my passengers, even though I had the right of way at a stop light - and they saw the other driver promptly get pulled over by police not even moments later.

Fifth, the fees and commission system. For instance, I recently had a $15 ride across the city. After it was all done and said with, I made maybe $6 after Lyft's fees and taxes I would have to pay for were included. As for the commission system? As it stands, you have to drive 50 or more hours to make up the 20% or so that Lyft takes out in fees. To get a 10% bonus under the 80/20 program, you have to drive 30 hours, and 40 hours to get 15%. Again, with the earlier mentioned fare cuts of 30% or higher in certain cities around the country, you're driving often for just enough to fuel up your gas tank throughout the week, and nothing further. On top of it, if you don't drive any power hours (they determine what those hours are), you do not get any kind of bonus whatsoever. For the area I drive in, Colorado Springs, the power hours around here - outside of Saturday nights - are early in the morning, usually between the hours of 6 AM to 8 AM...the times when everyone in the city is already at work or commuting to work. I've driven those hours myself since that change was instituted, and there is zero demand.

Sixth, support is not exactly great when it comes to Lyft. There is no phone number you can reach them at for any other major issues aside from the emergency line designated for accidents. They rely heavily on email, and even a simple request or issue that normally should take maybe 4 or 5 minutes to resolve is not addressed for several days. This is a near constant with Lyft. From what I have heard, even Uber is far better with support for drivers.

Seventh, there is the question of taxation. Know this going in: they consider you to be an independent contractor right from the beginning. That means essentially that you are paying your own taxes. Come tax time, there are two things that you have to qualify for in order to receive either a 1099-K form or 1099-MISC form - you either have to make at least $20,000 in income throughout the year from Lyft to receive the 1099-K, or $600 in bonuses to receive a 1099-MISC form. For anyone who doesn't meet those barriers, you're pretty much on your own.

Eight: in many markets, there is an oversaturation of drivers to the point where you cannot make anything because there simply is not enough demand compared to the amount of drivers in the area. There is a point when even I, as a prior business owner, recognize that having too many employees is a bad thing. Yes, the case can be made that we're independent contractors, but even still, having too many crammed into areas where demand is not that high is just bad for business, and equally bad for passengers. You may deal with exactly that, depending on where you live in the country.

Nine: the reliability rating. You're given 15 seconds to respond to a ride request. If you're driving, it's not exactly a good idea to take your eyes off the road for even a moment to look at the phone screen. If you miss just one ride request, it affects your rating. That reliability rating also can cut you off from getting any bonuses under the 80/20 program. If you're driving in an area that is heavy with traffic, and you miss even one request because you're right in the middle of trying to drive safely, it counts against you.

1. Scale back on the fees. You guys are killing us drivers.

2. Roll back the price cuts. A lot of us out there are forced purely by economic circumstances to use Lyft as our only source of income, and these ongoing, draconian price cuts are hurting our ability to make a decent living.

3. Get rid of the commission system. A lot of us see how dead it really is during the times you guys often list as "Power Hours".

4. Listen to your drivers when we say we need Lyft to advertise in public spaces that are very visible. We cannot do this alone using just business cards and flyers, especially when we have clueless restaurant/bar/hotel staff throwing away these very items because it's "sketchy", and local cab drivers doing the same to make sure our customer base never grows. Please advertise even more so to make more people aware of our services who don't even use cabs. If need be, bring back the passenger referral program in the markets you guys cut it from if advertising from your end truly is an issue - consider lowering the incentive amount for new passengers if need be, but be fair in doing so. Again, this lack of advertising support from the main office is burying those of us who work in smaller areas who don't have the means these days to pay for whatever marketing materials you guys have for drivers - even if the passenger referral program's new passenger codes are not being honored. More importantly, if we score a major deal on our own, honor it and don't blow it off - you never know what good could come of it.

5. As a prior business owner, I advise providing a 1099 form to all drivers regardless of how much they make through Lyft - it makes doing our taxes less of a headache simply by having that form with all of our mileage from rides and how much money we made available.

6. Better streamline your methods for driver support. At least throw in some dedicated phone lines so we can talk to a real human being when the situation demands it. I can tell you from having had experience doing support in IT or even customer service in the past that email simply is not enough. On top of it, as I noted, many of us drivers are having to resort to Lyft as our only source of income because of a lack of jobs in many of the cities we live in. You never know when we will need you guys to verify for whatever reason that we are independent contractors for Lyft, and having a designated group of people to contact for that sort of verification (employment checks and things of that nature) really does help.

7. Fix the rating system, and allow us as drivers to contest poor ratings that do not accurately reflect any of what we see on the ground. You guys are losing a lot of good drivers because of a few angry passengers, and it's frustrating - the rule to be remembered here is that the customer is not always right.

8. Put a cap on how many drivers there are in areas where demand from passengers is not that high. Too many drivers can be a bad thing, and it drives down the income of a lot of full-time drivers even more. Yet again, there is a lot of us out there who are forced to rely on just Lyft as our primary job, and it's frustrating when you have 50 other drivers taking up every last ride request while you're going entire nights without even a single request through the app.

9. Get rid of the reliability rating. It doesn't help many drivers at all, and there are plenty of valid reasons as to why we're unable to respond to a request...all reasons which happen to involve a concept known as avoiding an accident from not looking at your phone. If you can't get rid of the reliability rating, at least increase the response time allotted to a minute. That gives us enough time to pull over to a safe location and accept the incoming passenger request without putting ourselves at risk while driving, and more importantly, other people thanks to distracted driving - something we drivers do not like doing when mobile.

Finally, this: I realize it's a lot to ask, but as a company, you guys are burning a lot of bridges, and fast. Much of what is being done is in the name of defeating Uber, and it simply cannot be done. They have more resources than we do, and better marketing. Be innovative while at the same time taking into consideration the concerns of your people on the ground. Don't leave us in the dust, and don't treat us as disposable. We too have very real fears, worries and concerns, and none of us would have signed up for Lyft if we didn't believe in it. Stop worrying about what the competition is doing, and do what is right for us drivers and to a certain extent passengers. Focus on the niche Lyft has established, and take even your drivers into consideration - talk to us - when considering new ideas. Going behind our backs and doing things that hurts both us as drivers on an individual level and the brand as a whole is not a smart way to conduct business. Please, read every bullet point above and consider it carefully. I'm already considering bailing out on Lyft, even though I'm one of the thousands of drivers out there who has to use this for my only job for the time being, simply because it's not worth it given the string of bad decisions that have been made these past few months. Lyft could make it, though - if only headquarters in San Francisco will take the time to listen.

Awesome

Current Employee - Lyft Driver in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Lyft Driver in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lyft part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's super flexible. Easy pocket money and great customer service.

Cons

There's too many drivers the company suddenly hired and it's hard to get rides now a days.

Stop hiring so many people!