Lymba Reviews

1. Good learning experiences

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Lymba

Pros

Good for fresh graduates to learn and gain working experiences, especially if you want to work in the area of information retrieval, information extraction etc;
    Research oriented.

Cons

Since it's a research oriented start up, the salary is not that attractive;
    No commercial applications built

Advice to Management

For h1b holders, consider their green card application need as early as possible;
    Try to bring more money to the company.

2. A culture of mistrust

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Richardson, TX
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Lymba as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Small company which means lots of opportunity to get on board and make a difference. Willing to negotiate changes in salary,title and responsibilities. As long as objectives and milestones are met, projects are not micromanaged.

Cons

Only company I have ever worked for that engages in docking employee pay for excused absences without regard for available sick or vacation time that could be used. They are fewer than 15 employees so they do not honor ADA requirements for reasonable accommodation for doctors' appointments because they are not obligated by law. Their solution was to terminate my employment and rehire me as an independent contractor, which feels discriminatory. They also do not offer COBRA benefits for past employees, again because of their size. Even as an independent contractor I could not submit my own invoice for pay and was asked to fill out their contractor time sheet. Administrative details like start and end times, breaks and leave are extremely micro-managed with a use it or lose it attitude - i.e., you can't skip lunch for a doctor's appointment, they take three hours of your sick leave even if you are only out of the office for an hour and a half.

Advice to Management

Give your employees a reasonable modicum of trust and they will demonstrate that they deserve it. If you treat people as though they will take advantage without cause, it will eventually become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Adapt to offer more flexible working hours and the ability to work remotely and people will work harder longer.