Lynd Company Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.4
Michael Lynd

They take some getting used too, but they are heading in the right direction, just very slowly.

Current Employee - Property Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lynd Company (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best health insurance of my life. They make changes, and try things out. This could be a pro or a con. I picked pro because I have overall enjoyed seeing some of the different programs that I didn't even know existed. While I still maintain that many of the programs are misses, I appreciate that they continue to push for better, instead of pushing the same thing and expecting better results. Not every idea is a winner, but you don't know unless you give it a try. When I started, they had an awful uniform policy, but they scrapped it a slightly less awful dress code policy, and then they scrapped that, for a much more reasonable dress code. Still restrictive due to only being allowed to wear black pants/skirts but definitely better. I only complain because of the amount of cute black tops I have that I can't wear without looking like I am going to a funeral. Even if I got just one more color for pants, I would be pretty satisfied. Livewire and the overall information sharing in general is really awesome. Livewire is a program that allows you to see exactly where your property stands, and compare that to the majority of their other properties, all in one super easy to read interface. This system really fires up my competitive nature, and is very motivational.

Cons

They attempt to standardize EVERYTHING, which not only creates a much larger work load, it also means there are many instances when the action taken, is not the best business decision for the property. Many people go into this business for the enticing bonuses, commissions and benefits. This company has one of the worst bonus structures of ANY company I have ever worked for. No leasing commissions is a hard sale when trying to hire, which means Lynd is pretty much guaranteeing me to hire leasing staff with no experience, instead of hiring a good employee, I am reduced to take what I can get. This company also overall seems to pays less, so it's not like they compensate their lack of bonus structure in form of better pay. The other thing with the bonus structure, is no one lets you know what you are actually getting paid for. This is a huge issue with the leasing staff, who consistently feel ripped off. They do have quite a bit of turnover and transition, even at the corporate level. They only have 4 guaranteed paid holidays (7/4, Thanksgiving, Xmas, and New Years) each year, and while they do sometimes give a few others like memorial day, they don't let you know till last minute, which makes it hard to really plan anything. I want to clarify, despite my cons listed, Lynd overall has been good to me. It doesn't mean I agree with every business decision they make but I do appreciate my time with the company. They asked more of me than most other companies ever would have, and probably paid me less for it, but they have this way of growing on you, I can't explain. If you are the type of person who enjoys overcoming obstacles, or have a very competitive nature, this company culture is a good fit.

Advice to Management

Worry less about standardizing every detail, and worry more about hiring the right people, with good heads on their shoulders. Then you can micromanage less, and properties can make sound decisions that make sense for their individual property. You may spend less time reading reports, and micromanaging but gain more time to use at the property level, making improvements or even strengthening and growing current employees to get the same results you are striving for. Realize that no solution will work perfectly at every property, as each has it's own unique challenges, demographics and strengths. If you are going to hire someone to manage a property, let them manage, if you are unhappy with their performance, address them, replace them if need be, but making one size fits all policies to counteract every bad decision someone could make is not only insulting but it's damaging to my ability to most effectively run my property. I would much rather be penalized for poor performance, than chastised for things out of my control, and no real way to fix them. Their are many instances as an employee, when it's easy to feel like just a warm body with tied hands.

2. Assistant Community Director

Current Employee - Texas in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Texas in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Excellent company to gain experience from.

Cons

Number of paid holidays suck. Bonus structure needs adjustment

3. Worst leasing experience.

Pros

My community was great but not much to say about the company itself. Had great coworkers and staff that I could count on.

Cons

Bad management all around. The regional was terrible and our manager was never around. She made us leasing agents always look like the bad guy and would never come around to help us in a tough situation.

5. Dynamic, exciting opportunities for motivated people.

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Friendly, comfortable work environment. Upper level management are encouraging, approachable and ready to give instruction when needed. Pay is on scale to what is appropriate for the job market. Exciting 30+ year old company that is growing and still has huge potential.

Cons

Benefits are good but are expensive.

Not Very good

Former Employee - Assistant Service Tech in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Service Tech in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Lynd Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

none really that i can think of.

Cons

they take over a property and lay people off or send them to other properties.

Advice to Management

pay employees better.

7. overworked underpaid and under-staffed

Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Lynd Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you know the right people you can get away with not knowing your job

Cons

regardless of how hard you work if you do not know the right people you will not get recognized or heard

Advice to Management

listen to your maintenance staff.. stop trying to beautify a property 1 day before ownership walks in to present a false image of security in their investment

8. great opportunities

I have been working at Lynd Company full-time

Pros

work hard, you get rewarded

Cons

Can be unfair with HR issues

Horrible company to work for, would not recommend to anyone!

Former Employee - Special Ops in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Special Ops in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Lynd Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some traveling, meeting a pretty decent amount of good employees.

Cons

Where do I start? As a leasing agent you get no commission on new leases (something every other company offers) but you will receive commission on renewals which is something low like $25 which will be paid to you like 3 months later, but if that resident is late on rent guess what? You receive $0! (Which is total bs) as a assistant manager you're lucky if you receive $15 an hour and if you hit bonus after taxes it's something like $300 so if you hit bonus on all 4 quarters you received a whopping $1200 in bonuses foe the year... They expect so much from their employees but yet fail to show any compensation or thankfulness for your hard work. As a manager you STILL don't get paid the salary of other companies and still get treated like crap because your not really the manager of the property nearly everything you do has to get approval by your regional manager who needs approval from the regional Vice President all to get your resident who's been without a working appliance for a week! Ridiculous! The absolute worst title to have in the company is these poor recent college grads they hire as "special ops" they make them do maintenance, leasing, marketing, and all sorts of other slave labor for what? A potential to become a manager, which has translated into maybe 3 of over 100 of them to actually do so, SOMETHING IS NOT WORKING, GET THE HINT!!! It's not easy nor fun to work for a company nearly everyone dispies, if your looking for employment look else where. You'll be happy you did.

Advice to Management

You have a lot of very skilled and willing employees that should be given more opportunity and better pay, your company has your family's name in it, honor your name and make it something not everyone curses at as soon as they hear it!

10. Unproffesional and dissapointing

Former Employee - Leasing Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Leasing Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Lynd Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is somewhat OK.. nothing special.

Cons

No commissions for leasing agents, DM's only care about money, Very un-organized, People move their way up in the company by being best friends with District Managers.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate your DM's.

The other bad review nailed it!

I have been working at Lynd Company full-time

Pros

They can give you a pay check.

Cons

Pretty much everything the other 2 bad reviews said is the straight up truth. Whoever wrote the positive review either was lucky enough to have a good experience are is simply someone from the company adding a good review. Bad pay; bad benefits; bad communication; lies; fail to deliver on promises; they prey on college students with "Special Ops" program; they will ask you to lure your friends in for leasing for around 10 bucks an hour; currently they only pay out commissions on renewals and not very much. On their last quarterly call they failed at 4 huge projects yet still slap each other on the back at corporate for their percentages. They are a joke in the industry and will remain so.

Advice to Management

You are ruining your reputation with the future leaders of the industry and we do not forget.

RSS Feed </> Embed