Lynx Reviews

1. Great place to learn IT and Software Recruiting

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

I worked at Lynx full-time

Pros

Lynx is a small recruiting firm that tends to hire young people with a strong desire to make a lot of money. They CEO and his business partner have a ton of Recruiting experience and can teach you a lot about the business. This is a great place to learn the Recruitment business (how to cold call, interview, and close deals) BUT you must be willing to work extremely hard. Lynx is much more forgiving than most Recruiting companies if you aren't hitting your numbers and they are willing to try and help you as much as possible before deciding it isn't working out. I think the compensation is in line with most agency recruiting firms on the perm side. If you are an experienced Recruiter who wants to sit down and make money and you don't care about being in a super nice office with fancy stuff, you would certainly like it here.

Cons

It is very micro-managed by the CEO but i think that is to be expected with a small company. While the compensation is fairly standard they way it is weighted towards the candidate side is very strange. This is definitely a place for Recruiters who want to learn some of the Biz Dev side of the business but you will definitely be focused mostly on recruiting candidates.

Advice to Management

With such a small team you have the ability to do a lot more stuff (i.e. company outings, lunches, happy hours, etc.). Embrace your employees and show them that you want them there.

2. If you're hungry and willing to work hard Lynx is a great place to start

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Lynx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lynx was my first job after I graduated from college and my motivation was to learn the recruiting business and make money. What I got was much more. During my job search I interviewed at a number of Massachusetts based recruiting firms and I chose Lynx because unlike the others it was a small and personal place that didn't advertise how they were going to abuse you into making placements. Agency recruiting is a tough business any way you slice it and it requires a thick skin, perseverance, and the energy to connect with people day after day. Lynx taught me how to cold-call, interview, consult with hiring managers, and close candidates in an ethical and sustainable manner. It's a numbers based business so it is true that the owners pay great attention to making sure you're hitting the numbers, but I always felt like I could be myself and have my own style for connecting to candidates and hiring managers. The open floor plan allows you to hear others on the phone and I found this 100% visibility to be a great way to learn and keep everyone honest. In the hard world of recruiting this is one of the best places to start.

Cons

The company is very small which is a good and bad thing. It means you will get a lot of one-on-one attention, but there will be no where to hide if you're not meeting expectations. You must be willing to work very hard to overcome obstacles and accept personal responsibility.

Advice to Management

Invest as much as possible in your productive, proven recruiters. Possibly allow them to have some ownership of the company and help it to grow into the future.

I went to work miserable every day.

Former Employee - Recruiting Associate in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Recruiting Associate in Lexington, MA

I worked at Lynx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Young co-workers
    Close to downtown Lexington for lunch

Cons

Small workplace with outdated equipment (no kitchen, no large meeting rooms)
    No HR structure
    Terrible commission structure
    No training
    CEO standing over shoulder and listening to every word you say on the phone
    CEO approached mistakes rudely and did not give ideas and strategy for improvement
    No room for advancing or career development
    No guidance from senior management
    One-on-one's with CEO each week that gave no advice, just told you what you were doing wrong
    No sense of community within the company unless young employees encouraged it and set it up
    One small room where everyone can hear you on the phone and every word you say
    Extremely high turnover rate every single year
    Employee satisfaction extremely low - no signs of management wanting to improve it
    Horrible benefits (no 401k when I was employed)
    Extremely numbers based- If do not hit numbers you will be fired

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees. Most managers know that the success of a company starts with employee satisfaction. Ask your employees about ways to improve the company, and when they suggest something do not turn it down. The office is so negative and boring that no one enjoyed coming to work.

Treat your employees with more respect. If on makes a mistake or is not hitting their numbers, approach them in a friendly way. Telling one that they will be fired, only makes morale go down, hence decreasing their performance rate.

Some type of HR structure needs to be implemented.

Restructure the commission to be like every other recruiting firm. You will attract more employees.

Seems promising, but don't be deceived - very disappointing to work here

I worked at Lynx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-the position attracts young, high energy people
    -convenient located right in downtown Lexington

Cons

-terrible commission structure and low base salary
    -no potential career development
    -poor office environment - decade old furniture
    -despite the young workforce nothing is done to engage and keep them with the company - everything is stale
    -extremely high turnover rate. In my short time there, the company went from about 15 to 4, including the two co-founders and this is pretty typical for the company, every year or there is an entirely new group that leaves in a year or so. Nothing has been done to attempt to retain employees longer.
    -poor training and employee management process - employee performance evaluations occur on a weekly basis and do not high light positive aspects, only metrics oriented. If numbers are not met, the recruiters personal characteristics is called into question despite having no relation to job function.

Advice to Management

-You had some great employees, but they did not feel valued or supported by any means. This includes employees across different job functions, from recruiters to office managers.
    -hire managers who can oversee employees on the day-to-day level. I have never seen a company where the CEO overly involved with employees - creates a unhealthy work environment. Hire more employees to take control of various job functions i.e.: sourcer, HR, IT, Finance

Lynx Response

May 9, 2014President

Most of our hires are entry-level and it’s hard to know if they’ll like recruiting, or if they’ll be good at it. High-level technology recruiting and placement is a demanding and complex sales career ... More

Friendly, easy work environment but little opportunities to advance your career or make a lot of money.

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Lexington, MA

I worked at Lynx

Pros

Nice, friendly people and management
    Ability to learn
    Easy hours
    Good work/life environment, I doubt anyone there works over 50 hours per week

Cons

Poor benefits
    No base salary
    Terrible commission plan
    No opportunities to be promoted
    Very stale office environment
    Little perks or interaction outside of work
    A stale workforce, need more youth and people with new ideas

Advice to Management

Bring in people with new ideas and ways of doing business. Promote those who are doing well and give them opportunities to development new skills. Redo the way people are compensated.

Lynx Photos