Lyon County School District

Updated July 10, 2014
Updated July 10, 2014

3.1

CEO

Great District For New Teachers!

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Dayton, NV
    Current Employee - Teacher in Dayton, NV

I have been working at Lyon County School District full-time for more than a year

Pros

Provide many opportunities for Professional Development
    Decent starting salary
    Great teachers
    Close knit communities (Dayton area for sure)

Cons

Sometimes lack of communication about curriculum in the district EX: I was told by one person I wasn't required to teach science, where someone else told me I was...

Just a little better communication about a few things would help, but overall, I love working for LCSD. The support I have received this year has been AMAZING.

Administration is biased and prone to picking favorites over qualifications

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Fernley, NV
    Current Employee - Teacher in Fernley, NV

I have been working at Lyon County School District full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Co workers are good. Teachers are friendly and many have been there a long time. Students are basically good kids, No gang problems, very rural feel about the community and schools within the district.

Cons

Administration is not supportive of employees. Uses favortism to choosee employees, and hostile to those not within the umbrella of favorites. Very self serving motives of school administration. Will not support decisions of teachers, if it is something that they have to have a backbone to enforce. Rules have double standards, with random selection of who they apply to. Salaries are low, pay has been on freeze for years. Gender bias, with male sports coaches given special favortism. Low qualifications and knowledge base of higher level admin, and all employees are subject to scare tactics every year in regards to job cuts.

Lyon County School District is the perfect place to work if your office politics skills are excellent.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Eddyville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eddyville, KY

I have been working at Lyon County School District full-time

Pros

Lyon County is a small school district where everybody knows everybody, which is a good thing if you are part of the "in" crowd or in a position of power within the district. The students are generally well-behaved, and most still at least try to do what is asked of them. Most of the teachers are inspiring, generous, and cooperative.

Cons

While there, expect everyone to be polite for the most part, and maybe even friendly, just don't be surprised if you suddenly go from star employee to pink-slipped for no apparent reason.

If you do not want to be surrounded by "yes" men/women who secretly gloat over your failings, drop your office politics and just focus on doing what is in the best interests of students and the future of the county. Examine your priorities. Really examine, stop fooling yourself that what you have been doing is anything real in that regard. You are surrounded by people who parrot what they think you want to hear, then laugh behind your back. Anyone who has the nerve to tell the emperor that he is naked--they get kicked to the proverbial curb while the "yes" men/women continue to snicker behind the emperor's back about his nudity. There are a handful of passive-aggressive bullies on your staff who delight in the downfall of others, and the belittling of others.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

LCSD

Current Employee - LCSD  in  Silver Springs, NV
    Current Employee - LCSD in Silver Springs, NV

I have been working at Lyon County School District

Pros

Training and development, technology, pay scale

Cons

Good 'ol boys getting hired before more qualified people

Stop hiring relatives to be prinicpals

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Teacher Assistant
    Former Employee - Teacher Assistant

I worked at Lyon County School District

Pros

It's a good place to work. Even you have to follow a program you always have place to develope new ideas.

Cons

Some of the people in the management don't care about the kids they just care about their careers. Only a few.

They need to have better comunication with the teachers and all personal no just the school's principals and not to creat a anviroment where schools from the same city see each other like enemies.

Worked for Lyon County School District? Contribute to the Community!