Lyon Law

4.1
Geoffrey C. Lyon

1. Legal Assistant - Invaluable Experience

I worked at Lyon Law full-time

Pros

I spent over two years at Lyon Law, working mainly as a Calendar Clerk and Legal Assistant. I truly feel that the amount of hands-on training and substantial work experience I gained at Lyon Law has prepared me with tools I will use throughout law school and my career. As an assistant, you will learn the ins and outs of the case cycle: drafting complaints and written discovery under attorney supervision, preparing for client and defendant depositions, opposing motions for summary judgment, and even getting a case ready for trial if necessary, among several other tasks. However, that only touches the surface of what I have learned in my time at Lyon Law. On a day-to-day basis, working with Mr. Lyon and the attorneys at the firm provides invaluable insights into the nature of litigation, and a dedicated employee will walk away from the firm with an abundance of knowledge and strategy that can be applied at any level in the legal field. Though the workload can be considerable at times, this is a consequence of working in the legal field. You will be hard-pressed to find a firm more dedicated to producing excellent work product than Lyon Law. Great opportunities, great people, great experience.

Cons

Heavy workload at times, but if you hope to be an attorney, it is to be expected.

2. Legal Assistant

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Lyon Law full-time

Pros

I worked for Lyon Law PC for just shy of two years. At the time of my hire, I was a recent college graduate, with no experience aside from a few short-term internships. However, Mr. Lyon took a chance on me and provided me with an excellent opportunity. In less than a year, I was promoted from a File Clerk position assigned to a cubicle to a Legal Assistant with my own office. By around my one-year mark, my salary had increased 75%. That being said, it was not the pay that I am most grateful for. Rather, it was the amount and substance of experience I received. Under the guidance and supervision of attorneys, I was afforded the chance to prepare civil complaints, propound and respond to written discovery, draft legal briefs, including motions and oppositions, perform case research, attend mediations and other hearings, and a variety of other legal tasks. The substantive litigation experience a legal assistant receives in a typical day is incredible. Candidates exploring the idea of law school will find Lyon Law very helpful in solidifying their decision to attend or not. In fact, I only left my position with the firm in order to attend law school. Throughout my time at Lyon Law, I’ve found the staff and management to be consistently helpful, reasonable, and insightful. Geoff and his associates are brilliant attorneys with a wealth of knowledge, and an obvious knack for advocacy. I learned a great deal from each of them. Needless to say, I highly recommend the position to those interested in litigation and/or plaintiff-side work, and are willing to put in the requisite effort. Indeed, the workload is large and the expectations are high, but both are very manageable. In sum, relocating to Long Beach and working at Lyon Law turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made, and I'm confident that it is one that will directly benefit my career for years to come.

Cons

As I mentioned, the workload is heavy. However, that is simply the nature of litigation.

3. Good, Challenging Workplace

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Lyon Law full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job consisted of substantive legal work, resulting in great exposure to the facets of employment law and litigation. The environment and work load were challenging, but they created sincere opportunities to learn and grow. The work that I did at Lyon Law was much more substantive than the work found at many other law firms. The law firm is growing steadily and taking on multiple new cases a week. The culture is progressive and fast-paced, but highly rewarding. There are free snacks in the break room, catered lunches on Fridays, paid parking, paid time off, and good pay. Plus, I met some really amazing people. Everyone there was hard-working and intelligent, and everyone had a great work ethic.

Cons

The deadline-sensitive nature of the legal industry makes for a fast paced work environment. Be prepared to put significant time and effort into meeting deadlines. The work is challenging and you will have to juggle multiple cases, but you will, without a doubt, grow very quickly in this environment.

5. Fast paced environment, encouraging attorney growth.

Former Employee - Associate Attorney
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney

I worked at Lyon Law full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*You gain a lot of experience you wouldn't find anywhere else. As a first year associate, I was taking and defending depositions, attending hearings and mediations, writing motions, and had a lot of interaction with opposing counsel and clients.It really provides a great foundation, and exposure to the litigation process *Geoff is immensely talented at hiring smart, hardworking people who really create a very ocollaborative environment *If onen of your cases goes to trial, you might get the opportunity to help with trial prep, or even second chair *Competitive salary *Free diet Coke!

Cons

*Not necessarily a con, but be prepared for a heavy workload and a lot of responsibility. If you're an attorney, you are in charge of the day-to-day operations of your cases. *I ultimately decided not to pursue litigation, in part because of my dislike of the adversarial nature of the work. You are handling very personal and sensitive issues, and both clients and defendents can be defensive.If you have experience or familiarity with litigation then you'll be OK, but it emotionally a bit draining- but that's the nature of the work.

Good expereince – Bad firm

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Lyon Law full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great experience - Good staff - Interesting work

Cons

- Low wages - Low employee morale - Lack of leadership - Questionable ethics - Inefficient

Advice to Management

- Increase wages - Give clear and concise directions

RSS Feed </> Embed