Lyon Law

3.1
Geoffrey C. Lyon

Legal Assistant

I worked at Lyon Law

Pros

I worked for Lyon Law PC for just shy of two years. At the time of my hire, I was a recent college graduate, with no experience aside from a few short-term internships. However, Mr. Lyon took a chance on me and provided me with an excellent opportunity. Within eight or so months, I was promoted from a File Clerk position assigned to a cubicle to a Legal Assistant with my own office. By around my one-year mark, my salary had increased 75%. That being said, it was not the pay that I am most grateful for. Rather, it was the amount and substance of experience I received. Under the guidance and supervision of attorneys, I was afforded the chance to prepare civil complaints, propound and respond to written discovery, draft legal briefs, including motions and oppositions, perform case research, attend mediations and other hearings, and a variety of other legal tasks. The substantive litigation experience a legal assistant at Lyon Law PC receives in a typical day is incredible. Candidates exploring the idea of law school will find Lyon Law very helpful in solidifying their decision to attend or not. In fact, I only left my position with the firm in order to attend law school. Throughout my time at Lyon Law, I’ve found the staff and management to be consistently helpful, reasonable, and insightful. Geoff and his associates are brilliant attorneys with a wealth of knowledge, and an obvious knack for advocacy. I learned a great deal from each of them. Needless to say, I highly recommend the position to those interested in litigation and/or plaintiff-side work, and are willing to put in the requisite effort. Indeed, the workload is large and the expectations are high, but both are very manageable. In sum, relocating to Long Beach and working at Lyon Law turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made, and I'm confident that it is one that will directly benefit my career for years to come.

Cons

As mentioned above, the workload is heavy. However, that is simply the nature of litigation.

2. Fast paced environment, encouraging attorney growth.

Former Employee - Associate Attorney
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney

I worked at Lyon Law full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*You gain a lot of experience you wouldn't find anywhere else. As a first year associate, I was taking and defending depositions, attending hearings and mediations, writing motions, and had a lot of interaction with opposing counsel and clients.It really provides a great foundation, and exposure to the litigation process *Geoff is immensely talented at hiring smart, hardworking people who really create a very ocollaborative environment *If onen of your cases goes to trial, you might get the opportunity to help with trial prep, or even second chair *Competitive salary *Free diet Coke!

Cons

*Not necessarily a con, but be prepared for a heavy workload and a lot of responsibility. If you're an attorney, you are in charge of the day-to-day operations of your cases. *I ultimately decided not to pursue litigation, in part because of my dislike of the adversarial nature of the work. You are handling very personal and sensitive issues, and both clients and defendents can be defensive.If you have experience or familiarity with litigation then you'll be OK, but it emotionally a bit draining- but that's the nature of the work.

Good expereince – Bad firm

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Lyon Law full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great experience - Good staff - Interesting work

Cons

- Low wages - Low employee morale - Lack of leadership - Questionable ethics - Inefficient

Advice to Management

- Increase wages - Give clear and concise directions

RSS Feed </> Embed