Lyon Real Estate Reviews

9 reviews filtered by
4.4
Michael P Lyon

1. Great family atmosphere. Broker and other Realtors always happy to help.

Current Employee - Realtor in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Realtor in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Lyon Real Estate full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ethical and Customer Oriented. Great Marketing and technology advancements

Cons

Was utilizing an older customer database system.

Advice to Management

Thanks for all of the technology advancements coming in July!

2. Off Track.

Current Employee - Real Estate Agent in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Real Estate Agent in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Lyon Real Estate full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company has some very kind and inclusive agents. If you are an agent that enjoys the emotional support of a big group of agents to discuss the trials and tribulations of your career this may be a good fit for you. The highly productive agents with many years in the company get excellent treatment.

Cons

1) Below average tools. 2) spotty existing agent training and expensive new agent training. 3) High fees. 4) One of the lower per agent productivity numbers of any large company. 5) They advertise the company name a lot but not the agent. 6) The continuing Mike Lyon mess and the client questions it brings up.

It is no longer a family run business. The new corporate leadership bills their adoption of the latest tech as a selling point but never mentions that in most cases their off the shelf changes can be purchased by any person/agent for a few dollars a month (much less than the high tech fees would indicate).. That means monthly roll out programs of technology which is time consuming to learn and implement and is often less effective than the previous technology. Their technology might be current but is much cheaper than the quality tools typically of the companies family run agent first history.

Advice to Management

Get a more competent leader! Give agents a fair shake on your extremely high monthly fees and low splits. Give agents the tools their yearly fees can actually buy (we aren't stupid). If you worry about the quality of the agents you hire and the quality of the tech tools you employ you will build a better company. Stop trying to make everything a profit center!

Look at the reviews-50% approve of the CEO... hmmm yet we see employees boosting Lyon's-it's only in their best interest

Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Lyon Real Estate full-time

Pros

They are organized, I'll give them that. You get updates on Real Estate activity, that's good too. You feel like you are working for this "wonderful professional place..."

Cons

Don't go there if you are new. You are charged the same to work for Lyon's as they charged their employees during the boom. You literally pay them to work there, and since many agents there have affiliations with other programs that rule the roost here in Sacramento, they force you to join and pay in to Realtor, PCAR, SAR, anything they can get you to fund-and it's not an option. Other companies offer far better deals. Most of the good leads seem to filter their way to the seasoned people (of course right?), including the internet which funnels exactly where they want it to go. There is little incentive to work for Lyon's, and they only make a token attempt at keeping up with new tech. Lot's of older people working there (very old). If you speak out against this company it's sure to haunt you in this market and everyone knows it. Time for a change. You also feel pressured to use their loan company-every week is an attempt at capturing your loyalty for the loan company. When you get around the loan people aside from the show-they don't seem that wonderful. If you did have something bad to say about the business (shhhh!) then you feel you would be ostracized, and you probably would be. Emperor's new clothes.

Advice to Management

Your CEO needs to take the reputation of the business far more seriously-really, how shameful. You need younger blood. You also need to get more serious about your internet-the pages for the reps are a joke. Sounds like the wrong people are calling the shots there, they make plenty of money and don't need to change.

5. Absolutely the best real estate firm in Sacramento

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Lyon Real Estate as a contractor

Pros

technology, knowledgeable and engaged management

Cons

none that come to mind

6. I love working here. Such a wonderful family atomosphere

Current Employee - Real Estate Agent in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Real Estate Agent in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Lyon Real Estate full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

agents are there for each other. always encouriging everybody... it's just a great place to work and hang your license

Cons

there are none at this time

Advice to Management

can't think of any at this time

7. They really care about you and if you do your job well there are many avenues to move up in the organization.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Lyon Real Estate

Pros

advancement, benefits, culture is fantastic, they believe that having fun is a key to a great work place. Senior management is very progressive. They are very consistent in how outlying branches are run. They pull everyone together multiple times a year so we can meet the whole staff. There human resources department is very well run and I always had a place to call when I felt there was a problem. They treat everyone equally when it comes to moving up in the organization and they try and hire from within first. I really like that I was given an opportunity to move up in the organization even thought I was 100 miles from Headquarters. The culture is very nurturing too.

Cons

locations that are remote and are not as visible to management. The real estate agents can be rude at times but most of the time they treat you with respect. Top producing real estate agents get away with more than the lesser producing agents when it comes to incomplete paperwork that needs to be turned in.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to visit outlying locations more often. Then they could see how the staff was dealing with issues that are relevant to that location.

8. Very progressive company with strong principles, ethics, and professionalism

Current Employee - Real Estate Agent in Folsom, CA
    Current Employee - Real Estate Agent in Folsom, CA

I have been working at Lyon Real Estate

Pros

The atmosphere and professionalism is exceptional. It is a very cooperative and sharing work environment with an excellent administrative staff and management.

Cons

Only downside as of recent is Mike Lyon's personal life, but it has had a very minimal impact on our business because he surrounded himself with a astute and intelligent executive management team that has a very strong leadership style and progressive mind-set.

Great prt-time job and excellent company for those just starting a career in Real Estate.

Former Employee - Sales in Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Folsom, CA

I worked at Lyon Real Estate

Pros

Work when and how much you want. You decide your salary. I did this as a part time gig for almost 10 years and had a blast doing it.

Cons

No benefits or base salary. 100% comission. If you seek a stable base this is not the place you want to work. This is for those willing to take the risk.

Advice to Management

Offer some type of pooled health insurance option. Encourage employyes to attend every training class that is offered to further their knowledge of the business.

10. Lyon Real Estate is an excellent real estate company!

Former Employee - Realtor in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Realtor in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Lyon Real Estate

Pros

I worked at Lyon Real Estate till 2006. Lyon Real Estate has arguably the best reputation in the Sacramento area, and has consistently been one of the top performing real estate companies. I believe this is because Lyon focuses on giving the properties listed with them lots of exposure through printed and online advertising. Also, it has an excellent training program and great support for making the most of your real estate career. My fellow Lyon Realtors were very nice, generous people who were very helpful, supportive, and encouraging. Trend Graphics information and statistics were invaluable tools in educating clients on the current housing situation.

Cons

Because of all the extra services, support, and advertising that Lyon does, their split may not be as favorable as other real estate companies that offer less. You may be forced to pay an amount per month as a "technology" fee. It was $50 per month when I was there. Overall this is an excellent company and I personally think they are the best real estate company to work for in the Sacramento area.

Advice to Management

Trend Graphix was an extremely illuminating and helpful tool in educating clients about the current state of the market. Though I have not worked with you for a few years, if you are continuing to focus on having your agents know the market the best, and putting your money into advertising the listings, I think you will continue to be successful for years to come.