Lyondell Chemical Company Reviews

1. The Best!

Current Employee - Customer Service in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Houston, TX

I have been working at Lyondell Chemical Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company Values and safety is very high.

Cons

sometimes there are long hours.

2. No family time

I worked at Lyondell Chemical Company

Pros

A lot of overtime if you want that
    Decent pay

Cons

Tons of voluntold overtime
    Low starting wages
    Consolidation

Advice to Management

Stop trying to fast track everybody. It is dangerous to promote people who are not ready.

3. You are just a number, and racism does still exist!

Current Employee - Accounting in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting in Houston, TX

I have been working at Lyondell Chemical Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, pension, etc.

Cons

Slow hiring process, slow advancement, and racism.

Advice to Management

I really did enjoy most of my time at LyondellBasell. But after taking a huge pay-cut to get my foot in the door, the opportunity for advancement was limited. Even with a friend in HR, the hiring process took weeks. I actually accepted another offer after interviewing with LyondellBasell and then they finally made me an offer.

As I did accept and worked for them, I tried to move up. I had a great manager and he referred me to an open position. I interviewed with that manager and we really hit it off. After a few week however, nothing more came about and I was told they went with a more qualified outside candidate. No problem. That is until the hiring manager took me to lunch and apologized "off the record" that due to my race/ethnicity/back ground, his manager declined. He was upset about it but feared for his own job, hence the off the record part. FYI, I was born and raised in Houston.

5. Good

I worked at Lyondell Chemical Company

Pros

Transitioned company making good strides

Cons

Much change and can be stressful

6. GooGc

Former Contractor - SAP Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Contractor - SAP Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Lyondell Chemical Company as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Experienced and Friendly IT Team Members and excellent client to work for.

Cons

This is a good company to work, issue might be cyclical industry ups and downs.

Advice to Management

None

7. They have always taken care of me pretty well.

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Lyondell Chemical Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Salary and benefits are decent. Opportunities are present if you're willing to move around the country. If you're a shareholder, you've done very well.

Cons

Used to pay higher in the range compared to our peers. Other companies seem to be poaching our people - salaries aren't that differential anymore.

Advice to Management

Need to realize there is a reason people are leaving -- taking lateral moves and making more money in the process.

8. Engineer III

Former Employee - Engineer III
    Former Employee - Engineer III

I worked at Lyondell Chemical Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Salary, Good Benefits, Team atmosphere

Cons

Large company so hard to move up

STILL IN DECLINE

Current Employee - Chemist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Chemist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Lyondell Chemical Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Medical, Health, Dental, benefits and 401k matching are good. Great people. Decent bonus. Great place for people who work independently and don't need or want to learn anything or grow their career.

Cons

Pension plan has been reduced. Salaries and bonuses reduced and continue to decline. Everyone is paid nearly equally which means senior proven and knowledgeable employees are paid equally to newly graduated creating much animosity and a sense of entitlement to the younger group.

Although reviews are performed annually with the effort to pay the higher performers more through bonus, the system is extremely political and imbalanced. The highest performer in our group received only a meager 1% more than the average performer (in bonus) while other high performers in other groups received 20-50% higher bonuses.

Think your high performance will get you promoted. Wrong. This system is extremely political if not dog eat dog. If you are polite, work hard, smart, and do more than others - you will get passed over for promotions guaranteed. I was flat denied a promotion for my direct report because "she is too quiet". All her contributions and savings for the company meant nothing. Those promoted - threatened to quit, denagraded others to get their slot, confronted managemnt to get their promotion; absolutely not how it should be.

We used to have a training program in many of the departments to bring along the new hires and certainly pass along knowledge - much like an apprentice. This was great as it strengthened the department and the company.

Unfortunately, senior peopel have left in droves as they are not valued, salaries have been frozen and the new pension is terrible. Loss of senior personnel means that the company no longer has the brain trust to teach the newly hired what we already know and have learned through years of work and sharing knowledge. The company doesn't care as the older employee costs them more in benefits and pension.

There is no end in site to the problems especially while the upper management remains the same. Company needs a new CEO, and executives.

Advice to Management

There have been several instances where executives e-mails circulated and stories from the closed door meetings have trickeld out. Each and everyone showed that the CEO, Jim Gallogly, rules by threats and installation of fear. Certainly not a leader - more like a thug. This has become the company culture and is seen in the executives as well as the managment through the trickle down. The culture must change starting by replacing the CEO. HR needs to grow a back bone and let the execs and managment know that there poor behavior is unacceptable. Oh but wait, Jim will fire you for that.......

10. Hards Workers

Current Employee - Global Procurement in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Global Procurement in Houston, TX

I have been working at Lyondell Chemical Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lyondell is a good place to work if you are willing to work hard. Everyone here has plenty to do and we are well compensated for it. The company has as its high priority to keep us safe. Benefits are outstanding and if you know how to manage your time, you have a pretty consistent schedule.

Cons

Too many meetings, too many people bragging about their workflow on the hallways – shut up and go back to work; therefore, not much is being properly done.

Advice to Management

Value the ones who value their job and cares for the company.

11. Volumetric Accountant

Current Employee - Volumetric Accountant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Volumetric Accountant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Lyondell Chemical Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Everyone experiences a heavy workload.