LyondellBasell North America

James L. (Jim) Gallogly

Old school mentality

Current Employee - Operator  in  Channelview, TX
    Current Employee - Operator in Channelview, TX

I have been working at LyondellBasell North America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Large company
    Decent wages and benefits

Cons

Management's way of thinking and lack of employees being a priority are the downfall of this company. They try to claim to be leaders of the industry, but still have shallow vision when it comes to their employees. We're just a replaceable number.

If you want a successful, industry leading, company, start acting like one. Otherwise, you will continue to lose good talent to the competition.

Still a good place to work

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at LyondellBasell North America full-time

Pros

I work in engineering at a plant site and have been at the same site many years. We have a flexible work schedule around core hours and the option of working 9/80's with every other Friday off. Our bonus program is based on personal performance and company performance and the last few years have been good. I believe our local management really cares about the employees and safety is hammered into your head daily.

Cons

There's been a lot of employee turnover in the past couple of years - both engineers, operators and technicians. With a recovering economy, that's not surprising. There is a level of unrest and dissatisfaction that is higher than I would choose, but my experience has been good. I think a lot of the dissatisfaction is from hourly personnel (I am salaried) and the local site management is trying to address that. Upper management is another story, but plenty of reviews have focused on that so I'm not going to beat a dead horse.

I'm sure you get tired of hearing people talk about how the company was "in the old days" when management really cared about their employees. Well, memory is selective and our safety statistics reveal a workplace that's even safer than it was in those old days. I believe the problem is mostly perception and that's hard to change. Don't quit trying.

Allow managers to be managers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at LyondellBasell North America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people, decent pay and benifits.

Cons

Upper management tends to have a fear based management style. Local managers are afraid or won't make their minds up for fear of losing jobs.

Upper management needs to bring back the e/98 work schedules. Happy employees equal productive employees. Also, management needs to stop fearing the CEO and start managing. No one can think on their own for fear of Big JIM. Big Jim needs to delicate and then back away and let those he chose to lead do what they were chosed to do. JIM CAN YOU READ THIS.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Making Money, terrible employee relations,losing great,experienced people at fast rate.

Former Employee - Supply Chain Specialist  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at LyondellBasell North America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This company is very stable and having financial good times. The pay and Benefits are around 70 percentile. Located in Downtown Houston,Tx makes for a decent commute from north,south,east or west of Houston. Hum after that I got nothing.......

Cons

System and tools are outdated. Upgrades and repairs take forever to implement. Many system work arounds which add time and stress to the employees handling the transaction. Losing experienced staff (very sad). Hiring to many college graduates. Losing the balance of experience. No flex schedule (get with the times). They do have remote access however they are not flexible with you working remote unless it's to their advantage. Depending on your position work/life balance is terrible.

This management doesn't want advice........

Working here was one of the worst experiences of my work life.

Former Employee - IT Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at LyondellBasell North America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Some good employees (but also some horrible ones). Downtown location. Evidence that this used to be a great company to work for. Some good systems and processes in place.

Cons

Poor IT management and leadership. Outsourcing to non-US and non-EU countries more and more comment. Demands on employees can be extremely high and management doesn't care if you work yourself to exhaustion. Some excellent talent left the company because of overall poor working conditions and lack of support from mid-and executive level management.

Train or retrain IT management so that realize that employees are not 80-hour work week robots. Review all IT mid-level managers and get upward feedback from their employees.

A gem among the many

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at LyondellBasell North America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Young engineers are given a great deal of responsibility and are immediately placed in the plant manufacturing setting.

Experienced engineers are immediately utilized at plant, corporate, project, and area levels as support.

Although an S&P 500 company, it still has a small company feel. Engineers at least twice a year for each plant have an opportunity to meet a VP or other business leaders.

Internal rotations are a common occurrence, especially for young engineers, though only in very rare circumstances are forced rotations used. Rotation opportunities vary from plant level to business group, technology, or organization moves. Ex. An engineer could rotate from maintenance engineering to supply chain, from production engineering to Health, Safety & Environmental, or commercial group to plant level. Rotations for young/new engineers are more common though they often occur on a fixed schedule.

Impressive safety culture and record, flex schedules, pay-for-performance bonus structure, and turnaround compensation. High degree of responsibility is given and ownership is expected for all levels of the organization.

The companies goals are clear: be the best chemical company in the world. Recognized that this is a continuous goal.

Cons

The company runs lean on people so a great deal of ownership and responsibility is required.

Not well known outside of the chemical industry. Somewhat know within the industry. Your neighbor more than likely has never heard of Lyondellbasell.

No clear-cut job grades and salaries except at 0-2 year experienced engineers. If outside of the manufacturing organization, the company organization chart is essential to understand people's positions. After two to three years, you will have very little idea how much your raise will be and when your next promotion will be without effort on the employee's part.

As with many companies that are in the process of changing their culture, Lyondellbasell has growing pains. Long tenured employees remember different days under Lyondell before the merger; Lyondellbasell has differences form the previous company.

Great company

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

Mostley Progressive atomosphere and good managers

Cons

Some area are stuck in old mindsets

Used to be a great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at LyondellBasell North America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great colleagues to work with! Decent pay! Value of personal safety is highly placed - great safety culture!

Cons

Cancelled 9/80s! Bonus structure is very opaque and not at all objective. Lack of leadership beneath executive level. Cost cuttings dominate everything. Too much outsourcing with the consequence of losing internal expertise

Top down is a one way road with the risk of losing touch with what is happening at the work floor. Do not only promote "yeah-Sayers".

Focused Company, Simple Strategy

Current Employee - Finance (Management)  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Finance (Management) in Houston, TX

I have been working at LyondellBasell North America full-time for less than a year

Pros

No non-sense management that has real experience in the industry
    A CEO that has a proven track record and unbelievable industry insight
    Competitive pay and benefits
    Company is on a roll
    Lots of professional upside if you are young and motivated

Cons

Historic Lyondell culture is toxic - lots of CYA behavior, lack of responsibility, and business too often throws their support under the bus but shirks their own responsibility for issues that develop
    Manufacturing is held to a different (lower) standard when it comes to explaining results and explaining deviations from plans
    Still some dead weight--but that is being resolved

HR here is truly terrible and working as an impediment to attracting new talent

Stay the course by replacing non-productive employees
    Lighten up a little and embrace a bit of fun around the office
    Celebrate success overtly every now and again

Extremely friendly coworkers, excellent work environment

Current Employee - Intern  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at LyondellBasell North America as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Mentors, opportunities to develop, easily gain experience in a lot of different areas

Cons

Heavy workload, lack of staff

Worked for LyondellBasell North America? Contribute to the Community!