LyondellBasell North America

2.5
LyondellBasell North America CEO Bhavesh V. (Bob) Patel
Bhavesh V. (Bob) Patel
1 Rating

Pros
  • The pay and Benefits are around 70 percentile (in 4 reviews)

• Great people, decent pay and benifits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on your position work/life balance is terrible (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management tends to have a fear based management style (in 4 reviews)

1. Great Company with good benefits

Former Employee - Buyer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Buyer in Houston, TX

Pros

This place was great to work for. Friendly people who would help you get the job done. Team environment. Really great.

Cons

Big company, which is always hard to get any approvals from upper management. They were still readily available when needed.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Keep safety a number one priority and allow your employees the path to better themselves and the company.

2. Good place to work but some changes must be made

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at LyondellBasell North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is really helpful Small feel in a large company Great diversity friendly managers

Cons

Sometimes managers can act childish. Do not believe in work travel. No opportunities for that at all.

Advice to Management

Hard to do supplier management if you cannot travel to evaluate your suppliers and the condition of our plants nationwide

3. big company

Current Employee - Console Operator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Console Operator in Houston, TX

Pros

good network of various locations

Cons

european owned creates a different way of thinking towards americans

Advice to Management

none

Great place to work if you are young and looking for experience but not if you are already experienced and older

Current Employee - Middle Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Middle Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Dedicated employees who care about what they are doing. Good safety culture. Pay can be good if you are willing to go out of your way to make your boss look good or make the company more money.

Cons

Management treats employees like crap. My way or the highway attitude with management, from the CEO down. Management by fear leads to managers being bullies. Employee input not valued and not wanted. It is all about meeting or beating the numbers, regardless of whether the data is real or not. All of this leads to poor morale. Work-life balance is not good.

Advice to Management

It is hard to listen well when you are continuously bullying employees. Learn to shut up and listen and learn from your employees. You (management) are not always the smartest person in the room. A good manager learns how to get the best out of each employee rather than demanding all employees must think and act alike. The latter is management laziness.

6. Own you

Current Employee - Process Technician in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Process Technician in Davenport, IA

I have been working at LyondellBasell North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Base salary and benefits are ok for the area but lowest in company. You can live off 1 income working here.

Cons

More overtime than most people want. They don't hire as people quit or retire, just make you work more overtime. They show you a schedule for a years time and tell you how you can plan your life but what they fail to tell you is, you live from week to week due to the forced overtime

Advice to Management

Hire more people ahead of retirement and take better care of the people that choose to stay and hope things get better.

Meeting and talking to the new CEO & Executive Vice president of I&D

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

steady pay check, great parking lot, and great drinking water

Cons

A company that is delusional in where it stands with other companies. Lower and midrange management are micromanaged by the executive leaders. Executives can’t do there jobs because the board and the major share holders having a strangle hold on the company

Advice to Management

I have worked for ARCO, Lyondell, and now lyondellbasell. In my time at these companies. I have worked with the executive leaders of these companies. When we have been bought out or merged we have lost some very important attributes. It seems we have lost the ability to care for our fellow employees. We have forgot that they are people and not just numbers to be counted or placed in some random order. Our people have feelings and a longing to belong to a higher purpose. These new age companies only think of one thing the bottom line which is not a bad thing but they seem to have forget all the employees that got the company there. the company can offer much better retirement plan. I have looked at the (monies) numbers and the company has the resources to do just that. The CEO that just retired always said we are a world class company, but he left out one very important thing we should treat our employees like world class employees. When lyondellbasell learns to treat there employees like people and not just numbers and do what is right by the employees and I mean all the employees from the executive to all that are under there leadership. Treat our work force with respect and dignity. We could truly have a world class company one that other companies could look up to. A company where employees are proud to work. lyondellbasell could be so much more than what it is and we could it together. Our new CEO seems like a good person lets see if he can be the leader that can change the corse of our company.

just another big company

Current Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at LyondellBasell North America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1) One of the largest chemical companies in the world so diverse opportunities are available 2) High turnover, so getting in the door is possible

Cons

1) Incessant cost cutting limits company growth potential 2) "Flat to falling" budget mantra threatens long-term safety and reliability at manufacturing sites 3) High workloads for salary ranges 4) Little employee training to improve skills 5) Forced ranking system

9. Too many office politics, limited opportunities for advancement and refinery is attempting to be operated as a chemical plant.

Current Employee - Operations in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Operations in Houston, TX

Pros

The average employee cares about their unit and equipment, but getting equipment repaired can be a painfully slow process. Upper management is visible, and can be a good ally.

Cons

Plant is divided into color-coded teams, creating division and a lot of politics. Maintenance resources seem skeletal and constant restructuring is the norm. No long term plant managers, so look forward to massive changes every three to four years. With these changes, outside people are brought in from the manager's previous company, curtailing the ability to promote from within.

Advice to Management

Get rid of color-coded team system and reduce number of operations team managers (one plant should equal one team). The appraisal system is turf with politics and is a waste of time, as the goals are changed and eliminated at will. Work is piled on employees, often with little thought given to the benefits or long term value of assigned projects. If folks were allowed to operate the plant without all of the constant change and drama, productivity and morale would be world class.

Great opportunities, crappy management.

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in La Porte, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in La Porte, TX

Pros

The company has a strong safety focus and puts emphasis on community involvement and volunteer activity. The work-life balance seems to really depend on site management and job title. I've seen it swing from one extreme to another without much rhyme or reason. The company is just now investing large amounts of money into capital projects and expansions, meaning plenty of career opportunities. If you get in on one of the big projects, it can be a great (but very stressful) job.

Cons

Management seems to suffer from terminal HUA disease. There's still some fall-out from the bankruptcy and no one makes a decision without running it clear up to CEO level (or so it seems). The company seems management heavy and worker light - we don't hire enough people down in the trenches to do the actual work. For example, we cannot maintain regular PM checks on the equipment due to lack of maintenance manpower, but we're now adding a $400 billion unit without any plans to increase maintenance staff? Again, HUA. This is so disappointing because back when the company was Equistar, it was the best employer I've seen in 25+ years of working. That's all long gone now. That said, I'd still recommend the company to someone looking for work simply due to the amount of new projects being installed. Hire on, get some experience with project design, installation and startup, then start looking for a better company if the other things don't change.

Advice to Management

Make appropriate staffing plans, quit threatening the 9/80 work week, and understand that not everyone shares the CEO's opinion about the company recovery from bankruptcy.

11. It is ok but your line manager can either make you or break you

Current Employee - Category Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Category Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at LyondellBasell North America full-time

Pros

Pay is competitive, work hour is reasonable. Really it depends on the department and your boss.

Cons

Forced ranking. No true team work environment. You have to compete against your colleagues on your annual review.

RSS Feed </> Embed