LyondellBasell

Updated December 21, 2014
2.8

LyondellBasell CEO Jim Gallogly
Jim Gallogly

Pros
  • The pay is good if you are lucky enough to be soul-mates with your manager (in 10 reviews)

• Good pay, fair work life balance, senior management is not true to word (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • overworked, no work/life balance, high turnover in supply chain (in 11 reviews)

• Some of the senior management act sincere but cannot make the changes that need to be made (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Mechanical Engineering Intern

I worked at LyondellBasell

Pros

Great People. Good projects for an intern to do without feeling useless.

Cons

Some irregular working hours when needed.

Job Shadow

Former Employee - Job Sadow in Pasadena, TX
    Former Employee - Job Sadow in Pasadena, TX

I worked at LyondellBasell as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I had a job shadowing chance with LyondellBasell through my high school as a requirement and I enjoyed every second when I was there. It was a great opportunity and an eyeopener into this specific field of work. The people who I was job shadowing was very friendly like a family honestly. They were very informative and shows myself and the other students different parts of the plant - control board & room, loadout, lab, etc. I had a chance to climb up the ladders with platform too, that is a definite great first experience! Overall, I had a great time there even though during the time this was not the field of work I was following. However thanks to this experience, I am currently pursuing an Associate of Applied Science for Process Technology to enter this industry!

Cons

I honestly have no complaints or remember any from my experience there.

No opinion

Great Experience!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, MS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, MS

I have been working at LyondellBasell as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers. Relaxed work environment. Good learning expereince Flexible work hours.

Cons

Lots of work. Easy to get overwhelmed. Alot of people dont like taking time off work because they tend to get behind.

Great company

Current Employee - Process Operator in Channelview, TX
    Current Employee - Process Operator in Channelview, TX

I have been working at LyondellBasell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits, safe, non-union facility.

Cons

Too many older, lazy complainers.

Rid the company of the poor performing, lazy, cry-babies that destroy morale.

Unbeatable Family and Safety

Current Employee - Engineering Co-op III in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Co-op III in Houston, TX

I have been working at LyondellBasell as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Was a great company to complete my two internships with. They have an emphasis on safety which is key in this industry. Upper management is very friendly and is not intimidating and makes it easy to keep a healthy work environment.

Cons

No cons from me, but Ive never worked behind the scenes or as actual employee although it felt like it.

Very rewarding and safe work environment

Current Employee - Chemical Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Chemical Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at LyondellBasell as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Dupont schedule allowed for a week vacation every month

Cons

Shift work was tough on body. They usually do not hire contract or temps.

Make a greater effort to hire contractors.

Don't let the old reviews scare you. Most were written during the bankruptcy or shortly after.

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer Co-op II in Channelview, TX
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer Co-op II in Channelview, TX

I have been working at LyondellBasell as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, knowledgeable employees, Great Safety Culture. I was only Here for the summer as an Intern but working with electrical I went all over the plant. All the people I talked to seemed satisfied with there work and workload.

Cons

I was only working here for the summer as an Electrical Engineering Intern, but during my time here I didn't have any real problems. They treated us well and didn't ask for anything out of the normal. I dealt with most of the departments and didn't notice any animosity. Most people seemed happy and content.

Lean & Mean, Safe & Successful

Current Employee - Engineer II in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Houston, TX

I have been working at LyondellBasell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive Pay, Yearly Bonus, Exceptional Benefits, and huge career potential. Safety culture is top of class with commitment from top down. Lots of opportunity for professional growth. My performance is not limited by the company.

Cons

Company is VERY lean, which has some benefits (such as pay and job security), but mostly just contributes to a lot of stress. There is a lot more work that needs to be done than can be (this applies to EVERY position in the company) so you are constantly in a pit trying to complete action items and legal requirements. This company is not for people who cannot handle stress or time & task management.

More focus on a family atmosphere or improving the "outside of work" culture. Other companies seem to successfully promote a friendly atmosphere by organizing trips and inter-company sports leagues. These types of activities will eventually help promote a safer company culture as they reallly do feel like a "family".
    Also, there is a boom going on and we have continued to decrease headcount. We are past the efficiency bell curve and are starting to pay for it with delayed projects, lack of data tracking (there's no time for it), and "lost profit opportunities" not being addressed.

Good experience, Competitive salary, great benefits

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer Co-op III in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer Co-op III in Houston, TX

I worked at LyondellBasell as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They have a pension plan! Work-life balance.

Some managers will allow you to work 9-80s, which give you every other Friday off as an intern, which is very cool. Otherwise it is a pretty low stress environment, but with a little pressure to succeed in your projects which is important in my opinion

Cons

Have to wear NOMEX chemical resistant clothing in the Houston summer heat, it gets VERY hot under those clothes

None, doing a great job

Company with a winning attitude

Current Employee - Engineer in Channelview, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Channelview, TX

I have been working at LyondellBasell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for 2 other companies before coming to LYB 2 years ago. Things I like:
    - The best focus on safety I have ever seen. GoalZERO is great and is working
    - We get the resources we need to run the plants reliably and safely
    - Career opportunities - there are numerous plant expansions creating all kinds of new jobs
    - Top management clearly wants the company to be the best
    -Bonuses every year have been 30-60% above target, reflecting the company's good performance

Cons

There are some people in the company that were here before bankruptcy that just have trouble making the culture change. Trust me, I've seen the other side in other companies. The company is much more performance driven today and is not a place for people that want to sit back and have a party. The company is for people that want to work hard and win - that's why I like it.

Keep driving hard on Operational Excellence - this is making us the safest company but is also making us very reliable and generating good revenue. And thanks for your strong leadership on Safety - it shows every day and we very much appreciate it.

LyondellBasell Photos