Lyons Consulting Group

Lyons Consulting Group Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Lyons Consulting Group CEO Rich Lyons

Rich Lyons

Great projects, great coworkers, wonderfully fun... but they may have lost their way in retaining the amazing culture.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCEO and EVP are wonderful owners and leaders. Was really great knowing I was working for/with them. Several amazing and extremely talented people throughout the agency.

ConsProject management leadership is widely old-school and lacked detail and accountability. Inter-departmental process lacks listening skills. Could benefit from bringing the off-shore development back on-shore, provide them better leadership, require accountability and certainly make sure they are English speaking so they can communicate with other team members.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the amazing care that had been taken to ensure environment, moral and culture and let your employees feel and see that it still matters to you.

Goal is to be Acquity Group - What a horrible goal

Senior Applications Engineer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere are a few good people left. But they will probably leave because in the end the executives make decisions that undercut anybody trying to move the company in the right direction. The longer I am away the more obvious how messed up this place is.

ConsTop management does not understand the ecommerce space and how to run a consulting firm. Same processes have been broken for years.

Clueless management that requires people at a desk every single minute. It was -10 outside and asked boss if ok to work from home, he said: "would like to help you out but the policy states you need to be at your desk." If you like 1970 style of management and culture, this is your place.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't say you are a progressive company and then enforce a draconian office culture. Be straight up and say we embrace old school corporate values.

Stressful time, lots of finger pointing.

Applications Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGood location, some great coworkers, sponsor a few social events, provide some initial training.

ConsDue to lack of proper knowledge from technical architects, lots of projects went bad.
    Lots of finger pointing and blaming others when issues occur. People need to constantly try to cover their back.
    Very stressful atmosphere.
    No real team work. Mostly individuals doing their own business.
    A fairly recent new upper management really making the Magento delivery group a not so pleasant place to work.
    Never got recognized for the things you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to focus on the happiness of current employees, and realize where the real issue is. Send the TA to proper training, or fire the bad ones.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

sr. developer

Senior Developer (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

Prosrelax environment, easy going people, no challenge

Constoo much work, no much free time, pay less

Advice to Senior Managementeasy going

Do not live up to values they preach

ProsHands down the best aspect of lyons are the people. The people who are actually doing the work are phenomenal and some of the hardest and dedicated workers I have ever met.
    Free snacks are good and the new location is awesome.

ConsThere is zero direction and accountability. High turnover. No flex hours. The company culture has changed quite a bit in the last couple of years and it has affected the staff tremendously.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some leaders who know how to scale and effectively run a service organization.

Can you say TURNOVER? If so, this is the place for you.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSome talented people on-board. The UX and Artists are very talented. Senior leaders very personable.

ConsBe careful what is promised at the time of the interviews...get it in writing. Ask how many people have left their company in the past 12 months. If they say little turnover, they aren't being truthful. I know of at least 4 PMs that have left recently. There are no processes to follow so everyone is competing for the same resources. The biggest fire that needs to be put out, wins the resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a strong PMO Leader - who will create and follow processes. Facilitate some after project reviews to see where you're lacking. You might be surprised.

If Only Lyons Believed in its Own Cultureā€¦

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI would say we are paid above average, which is nice. But, my colleagues are the reason I drag myself to work each morning. It is a terrific group who I also enjoy on a social level. Our clients are awesome, too. We tend to be higher priced than many agencies, but we still seem to garner great customers.

ConsThe biggest negative is the NO work from home rule, take a vacation day or be in your seat. And, if you do take a vacation day, it counts against you when the bonuses are calculated. Our 401k matching was recently taken away, too. And, a couple of key resources (our long time sales engineer and a technical architect) recently left leaving a big void. Even the fully stocked kitchen doesn’t smooth over the feeling of despair.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe’ve grown quite rapidly over the last couple years—time to swap out for executives that understand how to manage a $25mil+ company.

Project Manager

Project Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFamily friendly, good work life balance (at times), company outings (happy hour, lunches), involvement with local charities, fundraisers, strong benefits/salary.

ConsProject delivery issues, staffing turn-over (often just not the right fit), issues with off shore resources, "close business" will find the resources later mentality, agressive growth goals, lack of open communication between departments; dev, sales, marketing, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementScale your growth structure so that it does not effect current and future business. It's impossible to maintain a 40% increase in revenue year-over-year in a service based business and not sacrificing quality, etc. Remember your core values and mission statement as I felt the company deviated away from that during my time there.

Wonderful Coworkers, Challenging Work, Great Fun.

Senior Applications Engineer - Demandware (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsA company that actually cares about its employees. I'm a bit old-fashioned in that I feel that a job should be more than work and a paycheck. I can't count the number of times I've received something above and beyond what I had come to expect from an employer. Gift baskets, Employee of the Week awards, quarterly bonuses, anniversary gifts, client t-shirts (Life Is Good shirts pretty much makes up my wardrobe), equipment as it is needed...

Working on a proprietary platform like Demandware encourages creativity in design and solutions.

ConsLack of defined, enforceable processes combined with huge growth has meant that some projects don't get the attention to detail that they deserve. Architects seem spread too thin. However, these are problems that should be easily rectified, and they must be in order to maintain growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think it would ever be a problem, but keeping the focus on clients and having happy employees will make this company's potential limitless.

Entrepreneurial feel with an honest team spirit.

Senior Information Architect (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou don't work in a silo. There is true collaboration and team efforts on projects to make sure the customer is happy. That may sound cliché, but what isn't is the fact this happens with a true sense of camaraderie and a lot of fun and mutual respect.

ConsThe only downside I could think of would be the focus on technology driving solutions so much can feel limiting. And as a quickly growing company, don't expect solid methodologies and practices in place for everything. That may be a challenge for some, while for others it is an opportunity to contribute.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose site of the "family" attitude and approach to the day-to-day. Continue "walking the talk" as I always saw done while there.

Worked for Lyons Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!