Lyons Consulting Group Reviews

Reset
3.8
Lyons Consulting Group CEO Rich Lyons
Rich Lyons

Dev perspective: Not for everyone, but it is for me

Current Employee - Technical Architect
    Current Employee - Technical Architect

Pros

As long as you get your 40/hr in, if you need to run out or take appointments - no issue Good pay and good people Clients are big hitters Good work is recognized (verbally and financially) You can make work as fun as you want it to be. You can learn as much as you want here. Everything is pretty much cloud based (email, docs, etc) - makes working remotely a breeze Not at all micro-managed. If you're doing a good job, they let you be. TON of integration exposure (OMS, CMS, Social, Analytics, Payment Gateways, R&R, Fraud analysis, etc)

Cons

Some will say that the technology is "old" - much of this is forced by platforms we support. If you want to do "alpha" libraries and technologies, than eCommerce might not be for you. You realize your grandma is still using IE8, right? Don't take that away from her. If you are tightly coupled to OO programming and love seeing that "Build Succeeded" message than SAAS model is not for you. There is not a lot of visibility on how you're doing towards your quarterly bonus Ticketing system is weak, but they are moving to better platforms Unless you are passionate about eCommerce, you may not like it. I love it. Remote employees miss out on all the food and beer the office brings in :)

Advice to Management

If you see someone coasting, pull them aside and ask how you help them feel more fulfilled in their work. They may not be passionate about what they're doing. Factor in time off when bonuses are calculated. I shouldn't be dinged for something like jury duty or being sick when it comes to my utilization - otherwise I have to plan around sales forecasting. Maybe send us remotes some goodies from time to time? :) Keep up the good work

2. Awards City

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lyons Consulting Group (More than a year)

Pros

The company is at the top of its game and has the awards and recognition to prove it. They treat their all-in employees like gold.

Cons

You get to run your own business. If you need to hand held, then it can be tough.

Typical consulting with lots of finger pointing

I have been working at Lyons Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free snacks, ping pong table, monthly happy hours and company outings. Met some amazing and very smart people here who I will consider my friends for the rest of my life. CEO is an amazing guy with a great vision in mind, but that's not enough. Pay is good as well.

Cons

- Culture has drastically changed within the last two years. From fun and challenging culture to a dry and boring consulting. - Great resources are leaving while new people who are getting hired are less than qualified. - Nobody wants to learn or open to ideas. - Management allows clients to treat working teams with disrespect. - People point fingers at each other instead of taking responsibility. - No learning from mistakes.

Just because we get"awards" doesn't make us special...

Current Employee - Developer
    Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at Lyons Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are ok. Work is ok. Everything is "meh, or "ok"....

Cons

The work is "meh", or "ok". Nothing interesting....like this isn't fun at all. The only reason I stay is because its cushy...and I make really good money...I guess I'm trading my happiness for money. The technology is lame and weak. I want to do and use open source stuff on top of these lame platforms. The javascript stuff is elementary....

Advice to Management

Go do something useful like seeing how we can use latest open source technology on these less than interesting eCommerce platforms.

6. Outstanding company

I have been working at Lyons Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Collaborative environment, lots of incredibly smart and talented people. No egos. Very work hard/play hard. Management actually listens, encourages growth and constant learning. Career paths are well defined. Friendly people.

Cons

Vacation policy is terrible and not competitive with other firms. Very unclear during hiring process. If this changes, I'd change my review to 5 stars.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Old dinosaurs....

Current Employee - Applications Engineer
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer

I have been working at Lyons Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks. Flexible schedule. Some of the people can be cool

Cons

Most people that review and say that its the best company are the ones that are complacent and comfortable at doing the bare minimum at their job. These people are old dinosaurs meaning that the technology is outdated and lame. Trust me, as a developer, you dont want to be here.....unless you really want to use crap technology and become complacent and not keep up with the changing world.

Advice to Management

Do more than eCommerce. Theres more than using Magento, Hybris and Demandware. Leverage using the latest and greatest technologies.....not some proprietary half crap software.

8. GREAT PLACE...GREAT PEOPLE...GREAT CLIENTS

Current Employee - Sbd
    Current Employee - Sbd

Pros

Awesome Company! Strong leadership that cares about employees and clients the same. Smart people throughout the company that provide a fantastic experience for our clients!!

Cons

If there is a negative it's the growth and how we manage it, need to be careful

Advice to Management

Keep adding senior level leaders!!

9. terrific people all the way up

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Lyons Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendliest, most helpful folks i've worked with. they are pretty good about being fair. they show they appreciate you, and they don't just pay lip service to listening to employees–it seems like a first-class part of their process.

Cons

it's a little easier to work a lot harder than you need to here than at some other places I've been/seen, but that's probably par for the course when it comes to ecommerce consulting firms.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring, training, and then pay people what they're worth. but they know that. Also, nobody likes to stay late every day.

Developer

Pros

Dynamic, open environment team work

Cons

mostly support work, not much new development

11. Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Work In the PMO Department in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Work In the PMO Department in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Lyons Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Recruiting is country wide. Offices are around the country plus they offer remote working. Their client list is top notch. Their process/methodology is evolving and working. They don't reinvent the wheel over and over. They learn from their mistakes and take them as a change to grow. Great benefits package. Great bonus program.

Cons

It's a little hard to be remote and new to the company. Because of the distance from the Chicago office you don't get as much hands on training. But if you are ok with rolling up your sleeves and just learning it, you will be fine.

Advice to Management

I love how you show leadership and take pride in the company. It's refreshing to work at a place where you can be proud of who you work for!

RSS Feed </> Embed