Lyons Consulting Group

Updated August 6, 2014
3.4

Lyons Consulting Group CEO Rich Lyons
Rich Lyons

Lyons is the only place I have worked that sincerely cares about its employees and customers

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lyons Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company's three leaders sincerely care. They have built a great company over a period with alot of growth. We all try to do our best and serve our customers well. I work with alot of smart people.

Cons

Face paced environment, but there is alot of process here to guide. While alot of managers have been hired to help with the growth, more managerial mentoring would be nice.

Keep the hiring engine going in order to build more bench.

Goal is to be Acquity Group - What a horrible goal

Former Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Lyons Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a few good people left. But they will probably leave because in the end the executives make decisions that undercut anybody trying to move the company in the right direction. The longer I am away the more obvious how messed up this place is.

Cons

Top management does not understand the ecommerce space and how to run a consulting firm. Same processes have been broken for years.

Clueless management that requires people at a desk every single minute. It was -10 outside and asked boss if ok to work from home, he said: "would like to help you out but the policy states you need to be at your desk." If you like 1970 style of management and culture, this is your place.

Don't say you are a progressive company and then enforce a draconian office culture. Be straight up and say we embrace old school corporate values.

Stressful time, lots of finger pointing.

Former Employee - Applications Engineer
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer

I worked at Lyons Consulting Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good location, some great coworkers, sponsor a few social events, provide some initial training.

Cons

Due to lack of proper knowledge from technical architects, lots of projects went bad.
    Lots of finger pointing and blaming others when issues occur. People need to constantly try to cover their back.
    Very stressful atmosphere.
    No real team work. Mostly individuals doing their own business.
    A fairly recent new upper management really making the Magento delivery group a not so pleasant place to work.
    Never got recognized for the things you do.

Start to focus on the happiness of current employees, and realize where the real issue is. Send the TA to proper training, or fire the bad ones.

sr. developer

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Detroit, MI

I worked at Lyons Consulting Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

relax environment, easy going people, no challenge

Cons

too much work, no much free time, pay less

easy going

Great projects, great coworkers, wonderfully fun... but they may have lost their way in retaining the amazing culture.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Lyons Consulting Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

CEO and EVP are wonderful owners and leaders. Was really great knowing I was working for/with them. Several amazing and extremely talented people throughout the agency.

Cons

Project management leadership is widely old-school and lacked detail and accountability. Inter-departmental process lacks listening skills. Could benefit from bringing the off-shore development back on-shore, provide them better leadership, require accountability and certainly make sure they are English speaking so they can communicate with other team members.

Remember the amazing care that had been taken to ensure environment, moral and culture and let your employees feel and see that it still matters to you.

Do not live up to values they preach

I have been working at Lyons Consulting Group

Pros

Hands down the best aspect of lyons are the people. The people who are actually doing the work are phenomenal and some of the hardest and dedicated workers I have ever met.
    Free snacks are good and the new location is awesome.

Cons

There is zero direction and accountability. High turnover. No flex hours. The company culture has changed quite a bit in the last couple of years and it has affected the staff tremendously.

Hire some leaders who know how to scale and effectively run a service organization.

Can you say TURNOVER? If so, this is the place for you.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Lyons Consulting Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some talented people on-board. The UX and Artists are very talented. Senior leaders very personable.

Cons

Be careful what is promised at the time of the interviews...get it in writing. Ask how many people have left their company in the past 12 months. If they say little turnover, they aren't being truthful. I know of at least 4 PMs that have left recently. There are no processes to follow so everyone is competing for the same resources. The biggest fire that needs to be put out, wins the resources.

Get a strong PMO Leader - who will create and follow processes. Facilitate some after project reviews to see where you're lacking. You might be surprised.

If Only Lyons Believed in its Own Culture…

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lyons Consulting Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I would say we are paid above average, which is nice. But, my colleagues are the reason I drag myself to work each morning. It is a terrific group who I also enjoy on a social level. Our clients are awesome, too. We tend to be higher priced than many agencies, but we still seem to garner great customers.

Cons

The biggest negative is the NO work from home rule, take a vacation day or be in your seat. And, if you do take a vacation day, it counts against you when the bonuses are calculated. Our 401k matching was recently taken away, too. And, a couple of key resources (our long time sales engineer and a technical architect) recently left leaving a big void. Even the fully stocked kitchen doesn’t smooth over the feeling of despair.

We’ve grown quite rapidly over the last couple years—time to swap out for executives that understand how to manage a $25mil+ company.

Project Manager

I worked at Lyons Consulting Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Family friendly, good work life balance (at times), company outings (happy hour, lunches), involvement with local charities, fundraisers, strong benefits/salary.

Cons

Project delivery issues, staffing turn-over (often just not the right fit), issues with off shore resources, "close business" will find the resources later mentality, agressive growth goals, lack of open communication between departments; dev, sales, marketing, etc.

Scale your growth structure so that it does not effect current and future business. It's impossible to maintain a 40% increase in revenue year-over-year in a service based business and not sacrificing quality, etc. Remember your core values and mission statement as I felt the company deviated away from that during my time there.

Wonderful Coworkers, Challenging Work, Great Fun.

Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer - Demandware in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer - Demandware in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lyons Consulting Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A company that actually cares about its employees. I'm a bit old-fashioned in that I feel that a job should be more than work and a paycheck. I can't count the number of times I've received something above and beyond what I had come to expect from an employer. Gift baskets, Employee of the Week awards, quarterly bonuses, anniversary gifts, client t-shirts (Life Is Good shirts pretty much makes up my wardrobe), equipment as it is needed...

Working on a proprietary platform like Demandware encourages creativity in design and solutions.

Cons

Lack of defined, enforceable processes combined with huge growth has meant that some projects don't get the attention to detail that they deserve. Architects seem spread too thin. However, these are problems that should be easily rectified, and they must be in order to maintain growth.

I don't think it would ever be a problem, but keeping the focus on clients and having happy employees will make this company's potential limitless.

Lyons Consulting Group Photos