Lyris

www.lyris.com

Lyris Reviews in Emeryville, CA

Updated Jun 23, 2014

John Philpin

Pros
  • com comments about Lyris there are great people here who are excited to be part of Lyris (in 5 reviews)

• if you are lucky to get into certain teams there are some smart developers from whom you can learn a lot from (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Radical changes of Senior Management Leadership Team (in 10 reviews)

• New CEO seems promising and has a strong vision (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights
53 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Startup atmosphere and energy without all the typical startup problems and risk

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsSuper hot market, very strong product offering and an exciting near term product roadmap and vision. The company is investing in its employees with training and career opportunities and is poised for rapid growth. Fun, irreverent office culture with pool table, ping pong, frequent happy hours. The executives for the most part are passionate and frequently put in long hours working shoulder to shoulder with the rest of us.

ConsLyris recently emerged from a time of change and a little bit of upheaval. While the fact that the company is poised for fast growth is exciting, a little bit of hard work and elbow grease is required at the moment.

I like coming to Lyris every day

Product Manager (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsI was just in the kitchen grabbing my go juice and thought to myself. Man, I like coming to work here at Lyris every day. When it's Sunday evening I actually think, I look forward to Monday morning, to go back to digging into my projects and having fun with my colleagues.

I see a lot of happy faces here. Young and tenured, people are very friendly and passionate about what they are doing. We work hard, but we also have time to play. For example, as I write this, we're watching the worldcup soccer games up on the big screen in the lounge. England Uruguay 1:2 (ENG isn't doing too well it seems).

Got the usual software company perks, free drinks, fruit, even beer and wine for the days when we celebrate, a gym, etc. Nice benefits.

Most importantly, we've got a real opportunity to make our customers and ourselves some money. We have to execute well to make that happen and that is no task for slackers.

ConsOur FSA provider Wageworks bugs me. Boy they are tedious with their approvals.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the morale. We've got a lot of fans of Lyris working here and those are the people that will lead us to success.

My experience at Lyris has been nothing short of amazing.

Account Executive (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsThe leadership is amazing, the vision of the company and the technology is far superior than the majority of the competitors in the space. Having been in this industry for over a decade, and worked for the competition, the salary range is more than competitive. I also believe that the benefits are more than comparable to industry averages.

ConsAs with any company that is re-inventing itself, there will be challenging times. I would say to those individuals that are not capable of change, this space is not for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. The more market intelligence and strategic planning that you can share with employees, the better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The company is willing, but has NO idea how to truly be better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsFree soda. Free parking. Easy commute (if you are in SF or in Oakland). The benefits are okay as well.

ConsWorst morale I've ever seen at a company. They demand every employee to be better. But when you ask management how to do so, they just say "be better". There is no direction from management that is actually helpful. Also, they are absolutely out of touch with what competitors are doing. Their best employees leave because they try to implement change, but when upper management sees no immediate success, they scrap plans. In the end, they do what is tried and true. Yes, that means the innovation is non-existent. This goes across every single department - but especially true in Sales, Marketing and Tech.

Advice to Senior ManagementForget firing the CEO. Ask the Board what they truly want out of the company. Also, try poaching from competitors. Constantly hiring from outside the industry at the C-Level helps no one. That's not a fresh perspective. It's a naive perspective.

I am very happy at Lyris for a number of reasons

Lyris Team Member (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsLyris is far from perfect but the negative reviews below have me shaking my head. It's a small company, I have pretty good visibility in to what is happening in the different departments and unless we have some secret office of doom hidden in another building that I don 't know about some of the reviews seem to be just made up, fabrications from unhappy people(probably no longer here) that take a single negative thing and turn it into their full reality.

We have absolutely struggled with delivery against vision but for the past 8 months or so (maybe a little less) have a clearly articulated and well communicated vision that we are aligned to and delivering against.

I feel that we recognize our problems and business challenges and are dealing with everything head on. For the right kind of person business challenges are motivating, you get to come to work and figure out every day how to do things a little bit better. It isn't a company to work at to just collect a paycheck, it is however a wonderful place to be if you want to be part of a team, part of a solution and want to use your expertise and ability to really figure out the best way to do things.

Is it going to be easy? No.
    Are we guaranteed to become the most successful company in the history of the world? No. Is there is some risk associated with delivery? Yes
    Is the market for our product competitve? Yes.

Is this a pleasant place to come to every day with a respectful culture and nice, smart co-workers? Yes.
    Are we building interesting products using current technology and providing engineers with interesting technical challenges and great experience? Yes.
    Is it ever boring? Absolutely not!

ConsI think I have said it all above and my cons are not necessarily somone elses cons. We are a scrappy, feisty company that is far from perfect. There is a lot of work to do but the plans are in place. That may be a con for some people.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe just need to stay focused on our end goal, pay great attention to our current customers and prove the people in the secret office of doom(see above) wrong!

Run... Really just run

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsLocation assuming you live in the east bay. Free drinks and some cool people still here. That is it.

ConsWhere to start. New CEO (previous one not better). Company use to be someone one / something. At this point there is no leadership. People are just collecting a salary. It is just a matter if time before this business is done (bought out liquidation a style or bankrupted). Lots of upper management pressure yet they are all a joke. Not one of them cares about anything but their salary. Product lags, customers are not happy and life in general is not fun.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck. Things need to change drastically.

Run away, and run quickly

Customer Success Manager (Former Employee) Emeryville, CA

Pros- provided garage parking
    - free sodas
    - no one seems to care when you come and go so you can run errands during the day for hours on end
    - iphones are given to a couple of people
    - open floor plan

Cons- very high turnover rate with all of the quality employees having left
    - executive team functions in a cover-your-ass style
    - sexism and ageism is pronounced
    - no clear directives or direction, absolutely no transparency
    - no room for advancement, don't expect to get beyond the role you were hired in to

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've got to reach out to the board for help. They know you're floundering, they've made you push out previous leaders. Ask for help or just call it a day and cut your losses. You need to stop over promising and under delivering to customers. Focus energy on building out the new platform to really be something worthwhile. If you continue to use smoke and mirrors to avert attention, things will continue to crash down around you.

Lots of Vision, Scattered Execution

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA

Pros-Many of the people there are cool, nice. Strong after-work culture amongst staffers.
    -Very nice and clean modern office
    -Smart people overall

Cons-High management turnover in last few years with last CEO out after only 2 years
    -Disorganized HR function with questionable practices - lots of stressful and sudden "disappearances" of your co-workers
    -Always changing product strategy with nothing new really coming out - more talk than show
    -Frequent errors on payroll, other employee services
    -Hiring/promotions of friends of friends not based on qualifications or performance
    -Very political for a small company (150 ppl)
    -Inconsistent treatment of work policies from employee to employee -- some poor/average people allowed to work from home while others in similar roles forced to work onsite
    - high absenteeism amongst staff so hard to get things done
    -Lots of systems that you need to use, but no training given on how to use them!

High energy competitive environment pulsing with a set of highly technical positive group of employees.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsGreat people, solid office of knowledge. Attitude and motivation is around moving their new product forward. Relaxed dress code and work hours in conjunction with an employee lounge of games and free drinks make long nights easier.

ConsSometimes too much pressure to do more with less. Does not always try to immediately replace talent, rather relies on backfilling employee responsibility which can result in overworked staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a positive attitude, check in with all roles often on what they may add to the table. Don't be afraid to admit mistakes, take more product training, and learn about how their predecessors might have failed.

Stagnating company. Just stuck, and no growth

Product Manager (Former Employee) Emeryville, CA

Pros* Nice office in Emeryville
    * SaaS Company
    * Nice way to enter in SaaS

Cons* No growth
    * Stuck at 40 - 50M for last three years Still no growth. I left them in 2010 but still no growth after 3 years.
    * Not great working environment

Worked for Lyris? Contribute to the Community!