Lyris Reviews

Updated August 17, 2014
Updated August 17, 2014
2.9

John Philpin

Pros
  • com comments about Lyris there are great people here who are excited to be part of Lyris (in 5 reviews)

• if you are lucky to get into certain teams there are some smart developers from whom you can learn a lot from (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Radical changes of Senior Management Leadership Team (in 10 reviews)

• New CEO seems promising and has a strong vision (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

A really cool thing is happening

I have been working at Lyris full-time for more than a year

Pros

Engineering is leading a remarkable change in the company, development of a very slick set of web services for direct marketing. The vision is not only a state-of-the-art marketing platform, but a way to smoothly migrate the existing customer base.

The engineering teams are sharp, small and agile, marketing and sales are aligned. And the work environment is friendly, personal and informal, much more of an East Bay culture than the less-personal Silicon Valley experience. There isn't a lot of process, and with 150 employees, it's easy to know who to talk to when you want to get something done.

The usual perks, free parking and drinks and a beer fridge you can hit whenever. I can grab a beer at lunch in the middle of a full day. Management is available for a chat, and I don't experience a lot of political activity. What you see is pretty much what you get.

Cons

The company is traumatized by several mis-steps over the last six years, which have left a mark. It's historically grown by acquisition, and must now innovate ahead of the competition.

The sales and marketing teams are used to selling software and a website with features. The future will be a platform of web services, with a web interface but also capable of marketing automation in a big way. This is a tough paradigm shift, although the audience is the same, fortunately.

There are bigger and better-funded players, for example ExactTarget is owned by Salesforce, and Responsys is now the Oracle Marketing Cloud.

Pare down the process, be willing to continue taking risks. You have some really bright people, let them run with the vision.

Lyris Didn't seem to know where they were going

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Lyris full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are friendly and fun to work with. I enjoyed my time there until it got crazy with management at the end

Cons

The people are nice enough, the top level leadership seemed lost. They had us spend months developing a product to their specs, and when it was almost done, they said they couldn't sell it in the market and eventually scrapped it.

Figure out what you want to be when you grow up.

Great people, fun office environment, but company stability is questionable

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Lyris full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are some really fun, talented people working at this company. Great location for east bay people.

Cons

C-level management is a bit of a joke- especially in marketing and the interim CEO. The middle management groups are really doing the work and have the knowledge and strategic ideas to keep the company moving, but often get overlooked or not taken seriously due to the upper management ego issues.
    There is really a concern in the market as to whether Lyris will be around much longer.

Get rid of ineffective upper management, empower director-level employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Startup atmosphere and energy without all the typical startup problems and risk

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Lyris full-time for less than a year

Pros

Super hot market, very strong product offering and an exciting near term product roadmap and vision. The company is investing in its employees with training and career opportunities and is poised for rapid growth. Fun, irreverent office culture with pool table, ping pong, frequent happy hours. The executives for the most part are passionate and frequently put in long hours working shoulder to shoulder with the rest of us.

Cons

Lyris recently emerged from a time of change and a little bit of upheaval. While the fact that the company is poised for fast growth is exciting, a little bit of hard work and elbow grease is required at the moment.

I like coming to Lyris every day

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Lyris full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was just in the kitchen grabbing my go juice and thought to myself. Man, I like coming to work here at Lyris every day. When it's Sunday evening I actually think, I look forward to Monday morning, to go back to digging into my projects and having fun with my colleagues.

I see a lot of happy faces here. Young and tenured, people are very friendly and passionate about what they are doing. We work hard, but we also have time to play. For example, as I write this, we're watching the worldcup soccer games up on the big screen in the lounge. England Uruguay 1:2 (ENG isn't doing too well it seems).

Got the usual software company perks, free drinks, fruit, even beer and wine for the days when we celebrate, a gym, etc. Nice benefits.

Most importantly, we've got a real opportunity to make our customers and ourselves some money. We have to execute well to make that happen and that is no task for slackers.

Cons

Our FSA provider Wageworks bugs me. Boy they are tedious with their approvals.

Keep up the morale. We've got a lot of fans of Lyris working here and those are the people that will lead us to success.

Lyris is poised to drive business growth. The platform has been re-calibrated for an empowered brand experience.

I have been working at Lyris full-time for less than a year

Pros

The existing domain expertise coupled with superior technology make for exciting times. We recently entertained several analysts and they all have validated our approach and vision. The new VP are all well seasoned and enthusiastic on our forward-thinking.

Cons

Most companies have incumbents so engagements are displacements where the unseating can be tough.

Strong management with a clear vision

I have been working at Lyris

Pros

Great Leadership, we have a clear vision and support from senior management to achieve and surpass our goals.
    Dedicated group of people who understand the vision and truly want to be here.
    Managers are open to ideas and suggestions from new team members.

Cons

I would like to see more employee events to help continue building a strong team

Keep up the good work

The bad reviews are true

I have been working at Lyris full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You will work with some very nice and smart people.
    The office is conveniently located and is spacious.
    There is free soda and fruit.

Cons

If you are considering employment here, read every review posted here. Then consider again. You can do better. Lyris has been a slowly sinking ship for a long time. All of the best and the smartest employees have already moved on.

Very low morale.
    Sweatshop atmosphere.

Focus on employee morale.

My experience at Lyris has been nothing short of amazing.

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Lyris full-time for less than a year

Pros

The leadership is amazing, the vision of the company and the technology is far superior than the majority of the competitors in the space. Having been in this industry for over a decade, and worked for the competition, the salary range is more than competitive. I also believe that the benefits are more than comparable to industry averages.

Cons

As with any company that is re-inventing itself, there will be challenging times. I would say to those individuals that are not capable of change, this space is not for them.

Keep up the good work. The more market intelligence and strategic planning that you can share with employees, the better.

Startup environment, highly motivated and energized team, strong new leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lyris full-time for less than a year

Pros

Joined Lyris recently. Felt very welcome by the team. Everyone is friendly, sincere, and hard working. Colleagues I met at Lyris today have been there a while, are excited about the new vision, and are working to capture the opportunity ahead with renewed startup energy. The new leadership that has been in place since 2013 has been executing sensible steps towards securing Lyris' future growth path.

I was speculating that this would be an opportune time to join Lyris. Now that I am part of the team I do find that confirmed. I give the leadership direction and staff a big thumbs up.Would recommend Lyris to anyone interested in a career opportunity.

Cons

Digital marketing is where it's at but it is also a highly competitive market place. Join the fun if you are ready to compete in the big league,

Two thumbs up on the course we're on.

Worked for Lyris? Contribute to the Community!