Lyris Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated August 17, 2014
Updated August 17, 2014
3.1

John Philpin

Pros
  • East bay employer with cool offices (in 6 reviews)

• Free parking, soft drinks and coffee, and fruit (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Radical changes of Senior Management Leadership Team (in 10 reviews)

• New CEO seems promising and has a strong vision (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

56 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Startup atmosphere and energy without all the typical startup problems and risk

I have been working at Lyris full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Super hot market, very strong product offering and an exciting near term product roadmap and vision. The company is investing in its employees with training and career opportunities and is poised for rapid growth. Fun, irreverent office culture with pool table, ping pong, frequent happy hours. The executives for the most part are passionate and frequently put in long hours working shoulder to shoulder with the rest of us.

Cons

Lyris recently emerged from a time of change and a little bit of upheaval. While the fact that the company is poised for fast growth is exciting, a little bit of hard work and elbow grease is required at the moment.

Great people, fun office environment, but company stability is questionable

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Lyris full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are some really fun, talented people working at this company. Great location for east bay people.

Cons

C-level management is a bit of a joke- especially in marketing and the interim CEO. The middle management groups are really doing the work and have the knowledge and strategic ideas to keep the company moving, but often get overlooked or not taken seriously due to the upper management ego issues.
    There is really a concern in the market as to whether Lyris will be around much longer.

Get rid of ineffective upper management, empower director-level employees.

I like coming to Lyris every day

Current Employee - Product Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Lyris full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was just in the kitchen grabbing my go juice and thought to myself. Man, I like coming to work here at Lyris every day. When it's Sunday evening I actually think, I look forward to Monday morning, to go back to digging into my projects and having fun with my colleagues.

I see a lot of happy faces here. Young and tenured, people are very friendly and passionate about what they are doing. We work hard, but we also have time to play. For example, as I write this, we're watching the worldcup soccer games up on the big screen in the lounge. England Uruguay 1:2 (ENG isn't doing too well it seems).

Got the usual software company perks, free drinks, fruit, even beer and wine for the days when we celebrate, a gym, etc. Nice benefits.

Most importantly, we've got a real opportunity to make our customers and ourselves some money. We have to execute well to make that happen and that is no task for slackers.

Cons

Our FSA provider Wageworks bugs me. Boy they are tedious with their approvals.

Keep up the morale. We've got a lot of fans of Lyris working here and those are the people that will lead us to success.

My experience at Lyris has been nothing short of amazing.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Lyris full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The leadership is amazing, the vision of the company and the technology is far superior than the majority of the competitors in the space. Having been in this industry for over a decade, and worked for the competition, the salary range is more than competitive. I also believe that the benefits are more than comparable to industry averages.

Cons

As with any company that is re-inventing itself, there will be challenging times. I would say to those individuals that are not capable of change, this space is not for them.

Keep up the good work. The more market intelligence and strategic planning that you can share with employees, the better.

Startup environment, highly motivated and energized team, strong new leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lyris full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Joined Lyris recently. Felt very welcome by the team. Everyone is friendly, sincere, and hard working. Colleagues I met at Lyris today have been there a while, are excited about the new vision, and are working to capture the opportunity ahead with renewed startup energy. The new leadership that has been in place since 2013 has been executing sensible steps towards securing Lyris' future growth path.

I was speculating that this would be an opportune time to join Lyris. Now that I am part of the team I do find that confirmed. I give the leadership direction and staff a big thumbs up.Would recommend Lyris to anyone interested in a career opportunity.

Cons

Digital marketing is where it's at but it is also a highly competitive market place. Join the fun if you are ready to compete in the big league,

Two thumbs up on the course we're on.

The company is willing, but has NO idea how to truly be better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Lyris full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free soda. Free parking. Easy commute (if you are in SF or in Oakland). The benefits are okay as well.

Cons

Worst morale I've ever seen at a company. They demand every employee to be better. But when you ask management how to do so, they just say "be better". There is no direction from management that is actually helpful. Also, they are absolutely out of touch with what competitors are doing. Their best employees leave because they try to implement change, but when upper management sees no immediate success, they scrap plans. In the end, they do what is tried and true. Yes, that means the innovation is non-existent. This goes across every single department - but especially true in Sales, Marketing and Tech.

Forget firing the CEO. Ask the Board what they truly want out of the company. Also, try poaching from competitors. Constantly hiring from outside the industry at the C-Level helps no one. That's not a fresh perspective. It's a naive perspective.

I am very happy at Lyris for a number of reasons

Current Employee - Lyris Team Member in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Lyris Team Member in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Lyris full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lyris is far from perfect but the negative reviews below have me shaking my head. It's a small company, I have pretty good visibility in to what is happening in the different departments and unless we have some secret office of doom hidden in another building that I don 't know about some of the reviews seem to be just made up, fabrications from unhappy people(probably no longer here) that take a single negative thing and turn it into their full reality.

We have absolutely struggled with delivery against vision but for the past 8 months or so (maybe a little less) have a clearly articulated and well communicated vision that we are aligned to and delivering against.

I feel that we recognize our problems and business challenges and are dealing with everything head on. For the right kind of person business challenges are motivating, you get to come to work and figure out every day how to do things a little bit better. It isn't a company to work at to just collect a paycheck, it is however a wonderful place to be if you want to be part of a team, part of a solution and want to use your expertise and ability to really figure out the best way to do things.

Is it going to be easy? No.
    Are we guaranteed to become the most successful company in the history of the world? No. Is there is some risk associated with delivery? Yes
    Is the market for our product competitve? Yes.

Is this a pleasant place to come to every day with a respectful culture and nice, smart co-workers? Yes.
    Are we building interesting products using current technology and providing engineers with interesting technical challenges and great experience? Yes.
    Is it ever boring? Absolutely not!

Cons

I think I have said it all above and my cons are not necessarily somone elses cons. We are a scrappy, feisty company that is far from perfect. There is a lot of work to do but the plans are in place. That may be a con for some people.

We just need to stay focused on our end goal, pay great attention to our current customers and prove the people in the secret office of doom(see above) wrong!

Run... Really just run

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Lyris full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Location assuming you live in the east bay. Free drinks and some cool people still here. That is it.

Cons

Where to start. New CEO (previous one not better). Company use to be someone one / something. At this point there is no leadership. People are just collecting a salary. It is just a matter if time before this business is done (bought out liquidation a style or bankrupted). Lots of upper management pressure yet they are all a joke. Not one of them cares about anything but their salary. Product lags, customers are not happy and life in general is not fun.

Good luck. Things need to change drastically.

Run away, and run quickly

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Lyris full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- provided garage parking
    - free sodas
    - no one seems to care when you come and go so you can run errands during the day for hours on end
    - iphones are given to a couple of people
    - open floor plan

Cons

- very high turnover rate with all of the quality employees having left
    - executive team functions in a cover-your-ass style
    - sexism and ageism is pronounced
    - no clear directives or direction, absolutely no transparency
    - no room for advancement, don't expect to get beyond the role you were hired in to

You've got to reach out to the board for help. They know you're floundering, they've made you push out previous leaders. Ask for help or just call it a day and cut your losses. You need to stop over promising and under delivering to customers. Focus energy on building out the new platform to really be something worthwhile. If you continue to use smoke and mirrors to avert attention, things will continue to crash down around you.

Lots of Vision, Scattered Execution

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Lyris full-time

Pros

-Many of the people there are cool, nice. Strong after-work culture amongst staffers.
    -Very nice and clean modern office
    -Smart people overall

Cons

-High management turnover in last few years with last CEO out after only 2 years
    -Disorganized HR function with questionable practices - lots of stressful and sudden "disappearances" of your co-workers
    -Always changing product strategy with nothing new really coming out - more talk than show
    -Frequent errors on payroll, other employee services
    -Hiring/promotions of friends of friends not based on qualifications or performance
    -Very political for a small company (150 ppl)
    -Inconsistent treatment of work policies from employee to employee -- some poor/average people allowed to work from home while others in similar roles forced to work onsite
    - high absenteeism amongst staff so hard to get things done
    -Lots of systems that you need to use, but no training given on how to use them!

Lyris Photos