Lyris Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.1
John Philpin

Pros
  • Location assuming you live in the east bay (in 6 reviews)

• The usual perks, free parking and drinks and a beer fridge you can hit whenever (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • New CEO seems promising and has a strong vision (in 8 reviews)

• Lots of upper management pressure yet they are all a joke (in 6 reviews)

1. Finally finding some direction after a long time in the dolrums

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Lyris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent place to work at. The new CEO seems to know what he is doing (unlike the last two idiots). Good regular staff events help to aid the social aspect of working here.

Cons

Not much knowledge sharing, often unchallenging work. Sometimes meetings for the sake of having meetings.

Advice to Management

Company is being acquired to I can't really offer anything as there'll be new bosses soon.

Strategic Account Manager

Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Lyris full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good location in Emeryville, CA. Reasonable access to BART and other public transportation. Nice office space.

Cons

Company is on the ropes. The intellectual property is way behind the competition. I do not know if they will have the resources to catch up.

Advice to Management

Find a technology partner and license their product.

Abandon ship, seriously look away

I have been working at Lyris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was a good team to work with, good people and knowledge. Good place to learn new skills.

Cons

Company acquired by asset strippers for a price that is absolutely peanuts. Rumors are that most people are getting canned, not that we have had anything on paper saying this. No benefits, no 401k, no PTO, no sick time, a stipend of $150 to work from home. This is unheard of in the Bay - they're clearly looking to get rid of everyone one way or another. And as and engineer, your salary will be reduced in a years time. to $100k and much much less for those who aren't. They're clearly just looking to outsource this product onto some Indian outsourcing team and not interested in quality, just metrics. When everyone leaves and this system breaks down, you're going to have a lot of fun fixing it up after you've sacked everyone who has the knowledge of how it works. Good luck with that.

Advice to Management

None really, for Lyris management find other jobs if you can. As for Aurea, try letting people know who is staying and who is going after the interim handover period expires. Try to be more professional about these things. How about answer the remaining FAQ handover questions for Christ's sake?

Software Engineer

I have been working at Lyris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Using Mule and other good tech. Good Architects. Good work life balance.

Cons

Long list of cons. None so important as the company acquisition. Acquired by a dishonest, greedy finance company masquerading as a software company. -- Ops team: Been here a few years and every encounter with Ops has been terrible. Especially the lead. He has never worked anywhere else and suffers from lack of exposure to technology. Operations believes that the cloud is a ridiculous idea. -- Ideas come easy, bringing them to fruition is next to impossible.

Advice to Management

none... they already sold the company for beans.

6. Awesome experience! Dedicated and hard working individuals. Great work-life balance.

Current Employee - California in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - California in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Lyris

Pros

_ Great Culture and Work/Life Balance _ Smart co-workers _ Fun Environment _ Good Benefits/ Comp _ Free Parking & Great Location

Cons

Dated IT equipment, this is often challenging. Many improvements are in progress.

Advice to Management

Take time to analyze employees, reward the hardworking and acknowledge the limitations of others slowing down the potential of the organization .

Don

I worked at Lyris

Pros

Great location. I lived super close so my commute was nothing. Close to Berkeley Bowl, which is a great super market

Cons

- Incredible levels of micro-management billed as "helping". I would get daily comments for actions I needed to take, but no clear advice on technical specific things to say. When asked I literally got "Ask someone else" - no team work. Team members barely communicate and communication between teams is actively discouraged by management.... ACTIVELY discouraged. They put process in place to make it more difficult - No training. I was tasked to support products I received no training on. I wasn't able to ask for help either (see above) unless through a complex ticketing system. ON the phones this led to customers hanging up from being on hold too long - Told to not use the bathroom as much. Simple 2 minute pee breaks were frowned upon. - Management was obsessed with numbers in their reports vs. employee happiness and work effectiveness. If the reports were high they were happy. This led to everyone fudging their numbers with excessive ticket replies and article linking. Nothing helpful, just padding numbers.

Advice to Management

I got nothing... I give up. Good luck

Promotion through Negative Criticism?

Former Employee - Account Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Lyris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are pockets of really hard working people in every department, that genuinely want to do right even though they are put in an almost impossible situation. I believe the CEO and SVP of Marketing want to do right in the organization

Cons

This company seems to promote criticism of others . In fact, it seems that you can only get noticed within the organization if you can"promote yourself" by putting down others. Never have I been in such a dysfunctional, sick atmosphere in my life. Even worse, if you don't "Defend" yourself with your day-to-day efforts and accomplishments, then others assume you are not doing your job, so it perpetuates an equally unhealthy and reciprocated "defensive- aggressive" behavior. All in all, it's just not a healthy organization (no innovation, no accountability, extremely poor communication, finger pointing, constant employee turn over)....not to mention that the office and equipment is like turning back the clock to 1990 (very out dated on all levels).

Advice to Management

Hire better line managers (there is oversight at the lower levels, but it doesn't do good if your "captains" aren't doing their job)

Bathroom Trips were Regulated

I worked at Lyris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some very nice and smart people there, the vacation benefits are good and the neighborhood is pleasant.

Cons

If you are considering joining the technical support department, you may want to take the following into account. You will be micro-managed to a degree that I have never seen before at any company. A few of us received emails with our breaks highlighted in yellow. We were encouraged to not drink too much before the beginning of our phone shifts and to "hold it" if we needed to use the restroom before our phone time was over. My colleague was told to lay off the lattes. I really wish I was making this up, but I'm not.

Advice to Management

Let your employees use the bathroom in peace.

Poor leadership - No product roadmap- Sinking ship

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lyris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Apart from the free food and drinks, there are none!

Cons

The product roadmap is non existent.There has been no upgrade for the past 4 years apart from a change of colour in the UI, which is really pathetic for a software company. Their best clients have nearly all gone and they currently lose an average of $1 million of revenue per quarter (see the investor page on their site)/ The current leadership team is clearly out of his depth and there is no strategy at all. Their sales people are not selling and are blamed for the failure of the company The truth is there is nothing to sell. If you walk in the office, it feels like walking in a ghost town. 70% of the cubicles are empty. The company went from 420 staff to just over 100 in less than 3 years. It is a sinking ship. Unless you are desperate and need a job badly. Do not join. It will,do more harm to your career than good. Although some are saying that they are working hard on developing the product. With only 2 developers, there is no way they will ever catch up with the competition. They are finished.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to the new recruits and shut the door. It is too late

Great people, fun office environment, but company stability is questionable

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Lyris full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some really fun, talented people working at this company. Great location for east bay people.

Cons

C-level management is a bit of a joke- especially in marketing and the interim CEO. The middle management groups are really doing the work and have the knowledge and strategic ideas to keep the company moving, but often get overlooked or not taken seriously due to the upper management ego issues. There is really a concern in the market as to whether Lyris will be around much longer.

Advice to Management

Get rid of ineffective upper management, empower director-level employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed