Lytro

Updated Mar 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jason Rosenthal

Smart coworkers, good executives, poor middle management.

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros- unbeatable opportunity to change an industry forever
    - overall, really bright coworkers
    - CEO seems really on the ball
    - lunch catered every day, always passable, sometimes delicious

Cons- middle management is ineffective, or worse, jerks
    - micromanagement is on the rise
    - some managers don't seem to understand knowledge work

Advice to Senior Management- consider a "no jerks" rule
    - don't make technical decisions without input from technical teams
    - stop treating employees like children

An amazing place to work. Great technology with a future.

Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsExperienced, competent engineers who know how to collaborate. Good allocation of resources, plenty of open space, lots of IT support, boatloads of snacks, and decent benefits.

ConsLytro is still a start-up, so it is not without some risk.

Poor leadership throughout, lack of belief in product, poor culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros"Oh you work(ed) for Lytro? COOL!" That's about it.

ConsSuddenly, within a week and a half of the beginning of October 2013, 6 new 5-star reviews popped up here out of nowhere, promoting how amazing this company is and how great the new CEO is to work for. Skeptical. And now they got more funding...

My manager never followed through on issues or reviews, didn't conduct 1 on 1s in keeping with company policy.

No raises or discussion of title changes within company for over a year.

No creative culture. Never listened to suggestions to foster such an environment.

"Startup feel" is non existent due to the company being older on the whole.

Questions / issues posed to "HR" oftentimes received no response.

Never addressed core issues with organization and planning.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop faking reviews.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Really great, super smart people making something pretty Amazing

ProsStrong, positive leadership

Surprising amount of transparency about finances and corporate direction
    Lots of smart (seriously brilliant) earnest people who want to make great, game-changing things

Highly responsive to concerns

Very modern office with lots of quiet spaces to retreat to

Free lunch, choice of ridiculous number of beverages

Lots of feedback, support and encouragement

Extremely talented, focused people, no real divas

Lot of in-house movement and promotion

Open to changes without being flaky

Great benefits

A lot of flexibility

Autonomy - the feeling that smart people can be trusted to do a great job

ConsThe usual entitled attitude you find in SV, but not obnoxiously so.

Once in a while you hear about old grudges and resentments, but that’s fading.

Way too much food – you could easily gain the Freshman Fifteen here. Need self-control.

Advice to Senior ManagementWow - I'm reading some of these old reviews, and I literally don't recognize who they're talking about. But then, I started after a bit of a re-org. There had been changes, and it seems like there were some passionate people here in the past who became unhappy, but I don't work with anyone who feels that way now.

There is passionate leadership here, and I was attracted to the job for lots of reasons, but a few things really stood out. One, the person I was replacing was promoted, well-liked, and would be training me. Two, Lytro has made the employee experience and cultural fit a very high priority, and I think they've done a great job of searching out and hiring people who are not only flat-out brilliant but who are also genuinely nice, interesting people who want to work with each other. I feel very supported in trying to help make the employee experience as positive as possible, and I really enjoy my job. I work hard, have interesting challenges, have fun, laugh a lot, and can see a path for growth for myself and the people around me.

There has been an increasing sense of positivity and energy in the time I've been here. All of the executive staff are very concerned with hitting milestones while promoting a positive culture.
    There’s a ton of open communication, and I feel a real sense that people like each other here.

Did I mention what they're making is Amazing?!

Inspired place to work, smart product and people.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThe people. People have been welcoming, are very smart, and are funny. We're having great laughs every day. Lunch is brought in every day and entire company typically eats together.

The office space. beautiful open space, very comfortable, and encourages collaboration.

Team creativity and focus. Being a part of working on something truly innovative is blast and feel the entire team is focused on delivering a game changing product. Sr. Mgmt team does a great job keeping everyone on point.

CEO. Has been here since April ’13 and he really fosters a sense of family. The culture of company is really important to him and it shows.

ConsIt’s a super fast paced environment and sometimes I get pulled in different directions to keep things from falling through cracks, so wearing multiple hats is necessary. As resources become more available would expect this to improve.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company has done a great job hiring top-notch people and that needs to remain a huge priority. Technical and cultural fit should be equally important.

Great place to work

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThe people are top notch. Some of the best talent around in many roles.

As with many start ups, most people end up wearing multiple hats. This gives one great opportunities to learn and grow.

Working environment and culture is great too. Beautiful office and a very open collaborative environment matches the team oriented approach of the people here.

New CEO has done a great job keeping people focused and marching to schedules. This is very important given the complexity of the product. The great culture that was in place has only been enhanced under him.

ConsVery much a startup in that there is a lot of fast paced decision making, which I liked but may not be for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going and keep going faster as technology changes so quickly today. Keep putting the right people in the right place to make the right decisions. Ensure that critical areas continue to be resourced adequately.

Fast-paced, Dynamic, Fun place to Work!

(Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsLytro is a very unique place to work. The mix of technical and creative is strongly celebrated here. The team as a whole is what makes this place exceptional; Extremely smart, yet dialed into the artistic world as well. There is a strong sense of work hard/play hard. We have fun here together and are building awe-inspiring products. I find our Executive team to be the most down to earth, easily accessible group I have ever worked for in this Valley. To me, their type of leadership is very refreshing.

ConsThe "cons" that come to mind are very indicative of a youngish start-up. Brilliant people bringing a disruptive product to market don't always have all the tools to "run the business". This has already been remedied with the hiring of a strong, experienced CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am completely "in" and as we continue to grow I would only ask that you as a team stay as accessible as you are now. It is amazing to be able to have casual conversations with you. It is because of these conversations that people feel comfortable sharing any idea they might have. I myself have witnessed the power these small ideas hold.

Great culture and really big market opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros- CEO genuinely cares about people and culture.
    - Compelling, multi-dimensional product roadmap.
    - Great people. Super smart, quirky, fun group.
    - Tons of passion around the mission of revolutionizing photography.
    - Low level of politics. Management team listens to employees.

Cons- Constant change. The fast-paced, somewhat chaotic start-up environment is not for everybody.
    - Lytro's success will come over time but those who are looking for the big short-term payout may get impatient.
    - Limited resources as with all start-ups.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company increasingly focuses on executing on the product roadmap, don't de-prioritize building the culture. Lytro is an excellent place to work; lets keep it that way.

Talented, friendly people and cutting edge technology

Director (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsWorking at a smaller company is great because you don't have to tunnel through mountains of bureaucracy to get things done. Things at Lytro move fast, and you can definitely impact the company because it is so adaptable and nimble. If a newish engineer has a great idea, he or she can take it directly to anyone - even the CEO. There's no need to submit ideas to committees where they will languish.
    There are also great perks like a free shuttle to the Mountain View Caltrain station, catered lunch, free snacks, ping pong and a pool table. There are weekly happy hours and occasional evening events, like pub quiz, which are well attended. Management has been very responsive to requests for change. For example, for a long time we only had the ping pong table. After employees expressed a desire for another option, lo and behold a pool table arrived.

ConsFor some people, being at a start-up can be too stressful. Problems that would be small elsewhere, like a shipping delay, can be big problems here. Also, there are many people in the company who have to wear multiple hats. This is true in engineering, ops and G&A. I personally liked this since I enjoy variety but it may not be for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the focus on having fun. Some managers need to do a better job of communicating performance problems with their employees. For a long time, it took too long to make decisions because some executives didn't want to risk making a bad choice or they unwisely thought consensus could be attained. A trend is developing towards acting more decisively, and that should continue.

Good people, Cool Technology and an Out of Control Founder

ProsThere are some smart people working very hard to pull off some impossible challenges. There's a free, catered lunch in the office but if you prefer, working from home is fine.

ConsOne of the founders frequently berates people. Former employees have literally lost it and exploded at him. Management doesn't know what to do about him especially since he refuses to talk to most of the execs, and between layoffs and him being out of control, the turnover rate is sky high. The culture is also very uncreative and practically non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to control the founder before he drives everyone away and sinks the company.

Worked for Lytro? Contribute to the Community!