M. A. Mortenson

Add Photos

M. A. Mortenson President and CEO Tom Gunkel

Tom Gunkel

OK place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at M. A. Mortenson full-time for more than a year

ProsCompensation, co-workers, values, commitment to excellence.

ConsManagement not following through, slow to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain staff before deployment into the field, follow through on initiatives

Great working environment, with a employee driven culture.

Integrated Construction Coordinator (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at M. A. Mortenson full-time for more than a year

ProsThe biggest benefit of working for M.A. Mortenson is their commitment to their employees. From structured training sessions, to a world class safety program, their emphasis is always on the employees.

ConsIt can seem slow to advance, and the salaries may not be in line with other similar sized construction firms throughout the country.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Very good employer

Project Engineer II (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at M. A. Mortenson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompetative compensation, great benefits, long term vision supports steady growth and room for oppurtunity for employees to move up in the orgenization.

ConsCentralized operations, on the conservative side. While benefits are in general vey good the 'Health Plan' has been changed to include a high deductible cost.

Awesome

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at M. A. Mortenson full-time

ProsGreat Community, stable company, really cares about you as an employee and a person

ConsWork hours can be long

Established contractor with room for advancement.

Estimator (Current Employee)
Chandler, AZ

I have been working at M. A. Mortenson full-time for more than a year

ProsOverall Mortenson is a great company to work for. You are given responsibility from the get go and are expected to do a good job with little supervision. But, if you don't know something or need help, all you have to do is ask. Company's open to new ideas/ways of doing thing. Company keeps good people, gets rid of the free-loaders.

ConsProjects are somewhat military-minded, tough, but that's the nature of the business. Management doesn't give a lot of notification for temporary transfers (1 week). Upper management not very approachable.

awesome

Lincoln, NE

I have been working at M. A. Mortenson

Prosthe people are amazing. everyone is willing to help each other. makes the days go by quickly. Always fun around the office

ConsSomedays are very long and very high stress. You have to be able to handle unwarranted yelling by superintendents (some not all).

Good Company, but Low Salary than Competitors

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at M. A. Mortenson

Pros- Generous work environment
- Good benefits (roll over PTO, Sabbatical every 5 years, and plenty of annual PTO)
- Flexible working hours
- Newly renovated office
- Management team members have plenty of patience for their direct team members' performance

Cons- Compensation and annual increase are low
- Communication is not effective sometimes with senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease listen to your direct team members requests if they're continue in six months or year.

A Stepping Stone

Seattle, WA

I have been working at M. A. Mortenson

ProsWorking for Mortenson looks good on the resume. They seem to get some pretty cool projects and most employees have strong work ethic. There are a lot of really good people that work in the Seattle group. The company is driven to succeed, and members senior management carry strong values and ethics.

ConsVery frugal company. Everything from competitive compensation to cell phones, computers, even color printing. Salaries and promotions are not fair (unless you are what we call a "golden child"), many team members go unrecognized. 12 hour work shift is expected, and there is no empathy for commute time (I know people who travel 2.5 hrs one way in the Seattle area). Very high levels of stress and management has unrealistic expectations of team members, specifically the amount of tasks a team member can perform in a certain amount of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementReflect upon the amount of continual change you are requiring your team members to undergo. Review your programs and procedures and see if they are working or not. If they are not, cut them and accept it. Hire a human resource manager who can study competitive compensation.

Great company, can't seem to secure any local work.

Project Engineer I (Former Employee)
Bellevue, WA

I worked at M. A. Mortenson

ProsGreat people, great management, great leadership. Mortenson is a well respected company, and for good reason. They pay well and PTO instead of vacation/sick time is nice too.

ConsThey can't seem to compete in the Seattle area. If you like waste water treatment plants and don't want to live in the city, give them a call.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lie to your employees. We had an all-hands meeting where Tom Gunkel came to town and explained to all 300+ employees that we were going to get through this recession without layoffs and come out of it stronger than our competition. That was not the case. People were canned the following week.

Typical Union Contractor

Journeyman Carpenter (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at M. A. Mortenson

ProsOK company to work for as a carpenter. Some of the supervisors can be relatively decent people to work for.

ConsPretty much NO advancement opportunity unless you know someone in management. How you are treated by supervisors is definitely job-site dependent.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive some of your carpenters opportunity for advancement by creating lead carpenter positions for smaller work groups. Then advance them up to foreman as they succeed, rather than hiring some idiot from the hall that has "foreman" experience. That way you build your leadership from the groung up and you'll have foremen (and a company) that carpenters want to please.

Worked for M. A. Mortenson? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at M. A. Mortenson reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for M. A. Mortenson CEO Tom Gunkel. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by M. A. Mortenson employees.