M. A. Mortenson

Be The First To
Add Photos

M. A. Mortenson President and CEO Tom Gunkel

Tom Gunkel

Great company to work for, and they treat employees very well!

Denver, CO

ProsMortenson is just a great place to work all around. They treat everyone with respect and offer a ton of perks. Overall a great place to work. If you every have a concern your are able to bring it to a superior and they will treat it seriously.

ConsIt can be hard to move up depending on your willingness to move or the department you are in. They have so much work you could be working very long hours. They do try to hire to meet needs, but they only hire good candidates which can be hard to find.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Continue to treat your employees like you do. I really appreciate the small company feel in such a large company.

Pros/Cons

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsAmazing projects to work on, Good support from upper management, company is growing and seems to be very stable financially. Overall a great place to work.

ConsTechnology is on the cutting edge in some areas and far behind the curve in other basic areas like e-mail and MS products. Just discovered I-Pads and I-Phones. Some people seem to slide by and move up doing more talking and delegating than working.

Companies construction methods are innovative and well known in the industry

Prosfamily, friendly organization that has a great deal of tenure throughout the entire organization.

ConsLack of work/life balance. HR department was too departmentalized, which made it difficult to broaden your skills. Also, a lack of strong HR leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership within the HR department needs to improvement.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall Great Company to Work For, Very Minimal Cons

Project Engineer II (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsVery family friendly company, good benefits, reward loyalty, senior management really cares about their employees, i.e. you're not just a number. High retention. People really work together as a team. Their quality and safety program is top notch. They invest in new technology and promote new ideas.

ConsNeed to improve recognition program. The Pinnacle program that they have works well, but they don't always give owners the oppurtunity to complete and recognize the efforts of the project team. Also, there should be some form of recognition program amongst peers. Some employees/positions do things behind the scenes and don't get recognized.

Also, it seems as though a majority of Project Managers don't have time to mentor the Field / Project Engineers, leaving some out in the dark not able to advance their career.

Lower pay than average and typically takes longer to get promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush Project Managers to really mentor the Engineers more and spend more time teaching them things. Also, knowing the "big picture" from the start helps a lot when you are young and starting out.

Very helpful, friendly and encouraging environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmall company feel in a large company environment.

ConsNot an open floor plan.

Drinking a little too much of their own cool-aid

Integrated Construction Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsAwesome projects, big projects, leading edge with use of technology, BIM

ConsIf you didn't start your career with Mortenson, you're looked down upon. A very strict, good old boys club mentality....promotions are not based upon your skill / results, they are based upon if you fit in with the management team and have "paid your dues". Not a skill/results driven culture, it's a box checking, don't ask questions culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your employees to think outside the box, allow them to use their talents and ingenuity to help the company. Stop drinking your own cool-aid.

Great Work, Vague Ideals

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsGreat projects to work with, high quality work, as far as a construction company, technologies and methods are advanced compared to others, and great direction towards BIM importance within projects

ConsWork/Life balance is more of an idea than an actual practice. Company lacks minority representation within the management structure. Frequently bending over backwards to meet client demands outside the requirements made it feel like wasting time in non-value added work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep out of the "Old Boy's Club" image and diversify the office.

Building Whats Next

Superintendent (Current Employee)

ProsApart of interesting projects that are also challenging/rewarding

ConsLeadership uses to many logs/matrix to record project information. Mortenson needs to develop a leaner way of information management.

No Complaints

Project Engineer II (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsThey take good care of you, great work experience, family owned company, benefits are nice. If you travel with them they take fantastic care of you.

ConsWorking in Minneapolis is a bit of a good ol boys club. Not a huge fan. If you're not from here, good luck getting far here. Other offices are just fine though, from what I've seen.

Project Engineer

Project Engineer II (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, co-workers were talented.

ConsLots of processes, lots of travel to each new project was my experience.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for M. A. Mortenson? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at M. A. Mortenson reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for M. A. Mortenson CEO Tom Gunkel. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by M. A. Mortenson employees.