M.C. Dean, Inc.

Be The First To
Add Photos

M.C. Dean, Inc. CEO Bill Dean

Bill Dean

Pros:
  • "The company has a wide range of positions"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Pay and benefits are very competative"
    in 2 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper Management completely disconnected from whats actually happening"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Evaluations and raises (merit or cost of living) have no standards and no consistency, some get yearly, some wait several years"
    in 2 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Some Great People and Some Difficult......

I worked at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCompany is well established, fast paced, offers a lot of room for growth, if you are fortunate enough to work with one of the few upper management that will communicate well with you. Benefits are competitive to other companies.

ConsCommunication with some upper management is difficult. They may not always respect their employees. Large turnover of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementProper communication goes a long way as well as respect.

Challenging and Enlightening

I worked at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time

ProsThe work is diverse and challenging.

ConsThe Owner of the Company treats his employees as slaves and with little respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out.

Growing pains used as an excuse for bad compromises and disorder.

Office Worker (Current Employee)

I have been working at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInitiative and ambition will not go unnoticed or unrewarded. (At first)
Pay is good.
Education is highly valued, with managers teaching classes. The CEO will sometimes provide lectures.
Time off is generous. (If you can claim you can't use your phone or computer.)
Health and dental are good.

ConsThere is no line between work and personal time.
Sloppy work leads to emergencies, which leads to more time working, which leads to exhaustion and more sloppy work. You will quickly get into a vicious cycle of dealing with emergencies of the company's own making.
New projects are rushed with the same intensity as emergencies, which lead to disasters down the line.
Your work will always interfere with the education they provide; your grades will suffer.
You'll be expected to work on vacations, which nullifies the concept of "time off."
More employees have died of lung cancer than have actually retired, so don't be wowed by the retirement benefits.
Every time you succeed, your workload is increased until you eventually fail, at which point your reputation starts to suffer.
Travel is not optional and trips will be extended immediately after you arrive at your destination.
The effect of having so many husbands and wives, fathers and sons working at the same company is a culture without a normal concept of "family time."

Advice to Senior ManagementStop rushing into all opportunities half-cocked. Don't just send personnel to a site and then forget them when the next opportunity comes up. Especially don't forget all the promises you keep making to the customers.
The constant state of emergency isn't an accident or a result of unreasonable customers. It isn't even your lack of planning. It's the lack of follow-through or diligence.
And please, stop trying to impress us by staying in the office 80 hours a week. The extra "work" you're doing is clearly a liability if this is the result. Learn the value of rest and maybe you'll pass that on to your employees.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place for a job not a career

I worked at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLots of free coffee, corporate gym, and paid gym membership.

ConsNo recognition for hard work

A lot of drama between employees

CEO and upper management use fear as a motivator to get things done

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication

Show that you care about your employees

Reward and compensate fairly

Promote from within

Interesting

Senior Design Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time

ProsA large company, CEO building for the future.

ConsMay be too many people making decisions,

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about the little guy.

Ideal company for techs/field personnel, not great for Engineers. Fuzzy mgmt., driven CEO, delivers, but difficult.

Design Engineer II (Former Employee)

I worked at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-You can learn a lot at dean as an Engineer, just not a good resting place
-The company has a wide range of positions
-The company does have a lot of dedicated and hard working, smart people that deliver

Cons-Very little effective management
-Project budgets were usually always busted
-Very chaotic, high pressure; get use to being all over the place

Advice to Senior Management-Fix the gap between the rough-neck field workers and Engineers if you want to keep them
-Try to appear less arrogant as a company

Company is screwed

I worked at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe only thing good I can say is great pay.

ConsNo communication, slavery mentality, they reward stupidity. Owner cut most of the incentives to put more money in his pocket. Owner talks to his employees like crap. Bait a switch for relocation packages. Dangles work visas to "enslave" non US citizens. Not many ethnic employees in high positions in the field. "Good Ole boy" mentality in the field. Management is afraid of Mr. Dean so they all lie to him. Ops Managers are a joke.

Terrible business management and unending office politics

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time for more than a year

ProsMany good, hard-working people from solid backgrounds and with high work ethics keep the firm running, despite poor executive management and unending office politics: strong "us vs. them" mentality internally

ConsIf "divided, we fall" is a truism, then M.C. Dean is headed for downfall. Its acquisitions have left in place several former owners as SVPs, each in conflict with the others, each fighting for internal resources rather than planning and sharing.

(This is to say nothing of the litigation against the firm...)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together -- and treat employees well!

For a government contractor, Exec Mgt. does not commutate down or follow federal regulations very well.

Field Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible work hours, time off for family needs, decent benefits. There are a lot of really great non management employees that want to do a quality job for the company and are great to work with.

ConsDivision heads don't encourage working together or professionalism. Evaluations and raises (merit or cost of living) have no standards and no consistency, some get yearly, some wait several years.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pitting your dept managers (upper & middle) against each other. Demand cooperation, professionalism and espirt de corps from the VERY TOP down

Run away as fast as you can

Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey have coffee and they pay you.

ConsFirst, whoever gave this place 4 or 5 stars had to be paid to write the review.

There are no perks, promotions, awards, or recognition for anything done here. Unless you call the CEO's annual christmas party short speech that.

If you like watching laptops get thrown across rooms, being screamed at over trivial mundane problems, deceitful behavior, talking behind backs, and blatant racial discrimination. This job is for you. Also, if you like showing up to work everyday thinking its your last then this is a good one.

The company is run on fear. Everyone is afraid of the CEO. It causes chaos. Layoffs happen constantly and management makes changes without telling the employees. There is no guidance from management. It's almost impossible to get a promotion or a raise.

Also, the CEO likes to jump in on projects and get involved. This is an awesome concept except he hijacks it, does it wrong, and screws the relationship with the customer or looses money because of it due to a bad promise. Oh yeah he will treat you like his lapdog during that process. Scum is probably the best word for him?

80 hours a week is not unheard of at Dean. This company isn't going anywhere; it's dying. Unless the CEO leaves, this place will always be a hell hole.

There is no micromanagement because management doesn't exist. Seriously, this has to take the cake for worst company on the Dulles corridor or the DC metro area or maybe the nation?

You will never get through a day where you don't hear someone complain,

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your head out of your butts.

Challenge the CEO when he goes on his word vomit tangents about solutions that will never work instead of complaining to your employees how he screwed you because you couldn't do what was right.

Start talking to your employees. Tell them whats going on.

Tell the CEO to stop spending company money on escorts. Especially at events like Gold Cup.

It's probably too late to make a change at this point. Unless the CEO removes himself from M.C. Dean, that company is going nowhere. Ask yourself, "do you really want to work for a person who acts like a spoiled child, belittles you, and imbibes unethical behavior"?

Worked for M.C. Dean, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at M.C. Dean, Inc. reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for M.C. Dean, Inc. CEO Bill Dean. All 62 reviews posted anonymously by M.C. Dean, Inc. employees.