M.C. Dean, Inc.

Updated February 26, 2015
2.2

M.C. Dean, Inc. CEO Bill Dean
Bill Dean

Pros
  • Great people below the senior exec level are highly skilled with good work ethics (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible work hours, time off for family needs, decent benefits (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely poor management; Nepotism; They cut corners; (in 3 reviews)

• CEO and upper management use fear as a motivator to get things done (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good projects

I have been working at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time

Pros

The jobs are good and the coworkers top notch.

Cons

The company's direction and transparency is not clearly transmitted.

Facility Manager

I worked at M.C. Dean, Inc. (less than a year)

Pros

leadership is great to work with. programs are well managed, compensation at or above market value

Cons

Limited site in some functional areas

Hope you have a life raft. if you work here, start looking for a new job. no one is safe - Co. sinking

Current Employee - Finance in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Finance in Dulles, VA

I have been working at M.C. Dean, Inc.

Pros

Benefits are decent, but use to be better. But for this economy what is offered is still better than most private companies can offer/

Cons

CEO - OMG - his grandfather is probably turning over in his grave. The CEO has a very lavish life style ad thinks he is the new Hugh Heffner. Personally, he's not all he thinks he is. Needs to ut some of that money back into the company and grow up. Bill, you are not a 20 year kid out for a good time. You have lost the respect of your employees, customers and suppliers.

Let your management teams do the jobs they were hired to do and clean out your ears to hear them instead of cussing them out, calling them stupid and belittling them. You have some great people, maybe you should just be the money that backs the company and step aside. You are going lose the goods ones. It is every man for themselves.

Active Employee

I have been working at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Company. What you put into it is what you get out of it.

Cons

Old School mentality sometimes. Not always bad, but sometimes challenging.

None

Great People, Fearful of Executives

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Dulles, VA

I worked at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging work. Competitive compensation.

Cons

Teams are fearful of executives which stifle creativity and teamwork

Listening is one of the greatest qualities of a leader.

Decent Place

I worked at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The division I was in was very close and the company had a family feel. Good pay, good benefits. I got to work on some really interesting projects.

Cons

Fast pace. If you are young and love the excitement of multiple projects and the feeling of accomplishment meeting difficult deadlines it is great.

The culture was still very much of a construction company not an engineering company. The electricians in construction were still king over the higher tech areas of the organization. Many times this caused failures as electricians were managing technology projects they weren't prepared for. Bill needs to calm down and delegate more to his division directors.

It's just a job

Former Employee - Proposal Manager in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Proposal Manager in Sterling, VA

I worked at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The department I worked in had decent flexibility and remote working capabilities. Some of the people are really great.

Cons

The benefits are terrible and very expensive. Bill Dean is extremely unpredictable and its best to stay out of his way. Even if you do your job correctly you're liable to be screamed at in front of an audience. He has no respect for his employees and that philosophy can be seen in the upper Executive management as well.

There is a great deal of micromanagement going on as well as uncertainty. There have been many, on-going reductions in force. If you are a senior level employee you are at a great deal of risk because they would prefer to keep on cheaper, less knowledgeable staff in order to keep the budget down.

The philosophy in my department was to hire fresh college graduates and train them but they continued to push out the senior members of the team and are left with a staff that is under experienced and over worked. The management of some departments can be found undermining and gossiping about the staff they don't get along with and if you're "out" you're likely to be forced out completely with little explanation and faulty reasoning.

If you have any value for your experience or work product this isn't the place for you because no one will see your value. If you are interested in professional growth you should look elsewhere because you will not find that here with the inexperienced staff and lack of motivation to mentor.

Bill is extremely unpredictable and needs to rein in his temper. It says a lot about how a person treats their employees when most employees run in fear whenever they hear his voice. It's important to treat your employees with respect, especially if they are actually doing a good job. Recognize their work and you are more likely to keep staff that will bring value to the work product. It would be a good idea to realize there are several employees that consistently do not do their job but have managed to maintain consistent employment for more than a decade. There's a lot wrong internally and if you don't find, and fix, the problems you're going to be left with a very inefficient and inexperienced company.

Was great career experience as a construction engineer but volatile, unpredictable work atmosphere

Former Employee - Engineer in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Dulles, VA

I worked at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I left in 2012 and worked there for many years right out of college. Work was great. Exciting, challenging, rewarding. Peer level co-workers were fantastic. Some of the smartest people I've ever worked with. Learned quite a bit from them. Even my immediate supervisor was a great mentor. I still keep in contact regularly with most of the people I worked with daily. Built some great personal and professional relationships with them. Money was good, but in the end you put in so many extra hours that it came out as a wash.

Cons

Executive Management was clueless at times and were "yes-man" to Bill Dean (CEO). You had no clue if the next day (or even later that same day) you'd be working on something completely different or one of Bill's "great new ideas". This made your days volatile and unpredictable (and not really in a good way). If you were roped into one of Bill's new ideas, you had twice the amount of work as the original tasks did not go away. These "ideas" always seem to take precedence to the ACTUAL work and for that I think it suffered a little. If it weren't for some of the above mentioned people with work ethic like I've never seen, I don't think half of the projects would have gotten done as good as they did. I knew people that would literally run and hide when they heard Bill's voice so they could avoid getting sucked into anything he had going on in this mind. The above mentioned people (good co-workers and my immediate supervisor at the time) are no longer there and there aren't many left from when I worked there.

Someone needs to shield engineers from the madness so they can actual do their work and keep the company profitable. Expansion is good but you can't expect the same people dedicate 100% of their time to a profitable project then another 80% on something that in a month or two will be considered a failure (then more onto ANOTHER "idea" and start the cycle all over again). There were many senior level engineers that left and expressed their concerns when they did....should probably step back and listen to them.

Flailing

I worked at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, occasionally rewarding work.

Cons

Amateurish, maladjusted management. Very average benefits package. Fragmented operations, with fiefdoms popping up left and right.

Figure out how to communicate across levels of authority, establish transparent incentive structures, and recognize nepotism when it starts to fester.

A total mess at the management level.

Current Employee - Journeyman Electrician in Killeen, TX
    Current Employee - Journeyman Electrician in Killeen, TX

I have been working at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (less than a year)

Pros

MC Dean does provide a level of safety I would say is above average.

Cons

Management is at best a bystander. They do not plan ahead for any contingency, nor do they seem to care...

Most of the work they do is U.S. government contract work with unlimited budgets. Hence, the disregard for any "real" production.

Management is in step with what this CEO wants, which is profits above anything else.