M. D. Anderson Cancer Center

M. D. Anderson Cancer Center Reviews

Updated Apr 19, 2014

M. D. Anderson Cancer Center President Ronald A. DePinho

Ronald A. DePinho

Pros:
  • "Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Work-life balance, great benefits, opportunity to work with people who come different backgrounds"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "We had to pay for parking and in my opinion it was too much"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Some people have lost their jobs due ot poor management and budget cuts"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

ok

Research Data Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center as a contractor

ProsVery strong culture and mission. Staff are motivated and involved in their work

ConsSome micromanaging and the quality of mangers varies by department

Excellent mission; challenging workload

Houston, TX

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 8 years

ProsEvery day a person who works at MD Anderson Cancer Center wakes up knowing they are going to work for a mission that matters. It is not about profit. It is all about curing cancer. Working in IT, I am not involved in direct patient care yet the leaders are careful to be sure we all have line of sight on how we contribute to the mission.

ConsThe last two years have been a challenge with all the leadership changes and lack of staffing. Many of us are doing two and three jobs. The stress level is high and uncertainty is making it worse. We hear that this is the "new normal" but we cannot keep up the pace. Many are getting sick and quitting.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously back-fill the positions. IT and other organizations are exhausted. Either trim down the projects or staff the ones being funded properly. We are staff for normal operations, not huge projects too.

Pediatric Oncology was rewarding and it gave you many blessings to be thankful for in your own life.

Clinical Nurse (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInsurance Benefits
PTO
Many advancement tools for your career

ConsOncology burden
Joining committees, pact's, to maintain a substantial great performance review

Advice to Senior ManagementTo not loose sight of what nursing is really about caring, empathy, and a positive aspect to the patients and patients care. Not making about its just a job and financial gain.

M.D. Anderson offers many benefits.

Senior Research Data Coordinator (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

ProsThey have a great mentoring program, lots of opportunities for developing leadership skills, and the benefits are very good for an educational/non-profit organization.

ConsThere is a lot of red-tape in getting things done partially because there are extra rules as part of state government/University of Texas, vertical career moves can be difficult unless you are willing to apply to positions in other departments (straight promotions are rare)

Great place to work

Clinical Billing Specialist (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than a year

ProsEncourage learning other skills or sharpening your current skills.

ConsSlow salary increases for positions

Sr. Secretary

Senior Secretary (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

ProsExcellent company to work for, great benefits, tuition reimbursement, a lot of room for professional growth

ConsBig and hierarchy...too many politics

Advice to Senior ManagementHire within!!! GIVE EMPLOYEES OPPORTUNITY TO ADVANCE

Neither here nor there

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center

ProsThey have a powerful mission- making cancer history. It makes you feel like your a part of something huge, bigger than yourself

ConsBureaucracy, red tape, you could get in your work and just keep going 'cause everyone is too busy to stop for a minute. The skills are present, personality? especially when it comes to interdepartmental stuff?....it could be better.

Good place to work

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)
Smithville, TX

ProsExcellent science and beautiful campus.

ConsOut in middle of nowhere.

High end standard in the healthcare industry

CLS Trainee (Current Employee)

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time

ProsLearn a lot from every where. The atmosphere is to push you going forward from the institution level to department level to team level.

ConsToo big, easy to lost, bad computer support if you are not patient care team like research. Traffic of course and hard to build relationship with outside of department.

Great Job

IT Project Manager (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

Proswelcomed, Family feel like environment, excellent place to work, large institution, Department willing to work with you to achieve your personal and academic goals.

ConsN/A, The job was demanding and therefore it require my dedication No Cons to report.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Worked for M. D. Anderson Cancer Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for M. D. Anderson Cancer Center CEO Ronald A. DePinho. All 245 reviews posted anonymously by M. D. Anderson Cancer Center employees.