M.D. Sass Reviews

4.4
Martin D. Sass

1. A dynamic money management firm

I have been working at M.D. Sass full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High degree of integrity in a culture that cultivates innovation and individual growth in a meritocracy. . Focus on achieving superior risk-adjusted returns for clients, and excellent client service.

Cons

There is no tolerance for slackers

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Challenging and intellectually stimulating work environment for those that are up for it...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at M.D. Sass full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial environment - you can create your own opportunities to advance. Lean organization so accomplishments and value added activities get noticed by senior management. Long standing firm with good performance so reputation is strong and firm is well respected. Age and experience is valued less than one's contribution to the firm so even "junior" employees can advance quickly.

Cons

Lean organization means that some people wear too many hats which can lead to sloppy work. This gets interpreted as lack of effort when, in fact, it is a result of too many obligations imposed on some employees.

Advice to Management

Generally management is strong and leads by example. Would suggest more time spent on complimenting employees for a job well done rather than just criticizing employees when a mistake is made...both compliments and criticism should be doled out.

Has its challenges and its rewards.....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at M.D. Sass full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging environment with broad work exposure. Senior management is driven and expects employees to continuously strive for success. Hard work and dedication are recognized and open communication to senior management is highly encourage.

Cons

None to make mention of. To succeed it's important to communicate realistic goals, establish a game plan and follow through.

Advice to Management

Would suggest to stay the course

Upward Mobility

Current Employee - Trader
    Current Employee - Trader

I have been working at M.D. Sass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Senior management is excellent at recognizing talent. I started at the bottom straight out of college in a support role and quickly moved into a senior revenue generating position. If you work hard and show initiative there are no limits to your upward potential at the firm.

Cons

I have worked here for over 2 years and can honestly not think of any negative things to say.

Advice to Management

Continue letting your smart employees guide the future of the company

Opportunities for those who earn it

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at M.D. Sass full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been at M.D. Sass and affiliated companies for over 15 years now. During that time I have had the opportunity to work in operations / accounting roles, investment analyses, portfolio management and trading. I have also been part of investment teams in distressed debt, private equity and venture capital. The firm is extremely dynamic and entrepreneurial and rewards employees who want it and earn it with additional responsibilities and opportunities. We are a small group of dedicated employees. Those who thrive are those who are willing to roll up their sleeves and get it done.

Cons

Excuses are not tolerated. If you cannot pull your weight, you do not last.

Advice to Management

Keep it going

Hard work and proven ability will lead to success

I have been working at M.D. Sass

Pros

At M.D. Sass, I have had the chance to work with a majority of the employees involving different tasks. This has allowed me to build a vast skill set to help navigate my career path, which eventually led to my recent promotion. This ability to be an "entrepreneur" within the firm is not often found at other shops and has proven to be very beneficial for my future.

Cons

None. There is always room for expanding individual talent.

Great culture and strong management, is just the beginning at M.D. Sass

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at M.D. Sass full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Forward thinking individuals and management, positive environment, interesting and impactful work are just some of the things that make M.D. Sass a great place to work. Open culture provides lots of opportunity for smart, talented, and driven individuals. Hard work is recognized and rewarded by senior management. The firm's client centric focus and team-oriented mentality, combined with intelligent people and strong management, is what has contributed to the success the company has achieved over the past 40 years.

Cons

None - I have thoroughly enjoyed my 7 years at M.D. Sass.

Advice to Management

Press on

Hard Work Rewarded

Current Employee - Relationship Management in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Relationship Management in New York, NY

I have been working at M.D. Sass full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

M.D. Sass is a fast paced environment in the uber competitive asset management industry. I am proud to be part of the past six years of their forty plus year history. The company is client focused and goes above and beyond to service clients and assist in achieving their investment goals. Management provides ample opportunity for those that want to challenge themselves. Dedication and hard work are rewarded here both monetarily and with opportunities for advancement. The relatively small size allows for individuals to shine and be recognized. The Corporate Culture is based on a Family Atmosphere. This is fostered through company social events, Employee Newsletter, Employee Recognition Awards and frequent management congratulatory emails on individual and professional achievements. A challenging but rewarding environment for those who want to succeed.

Cons

None - You are only bound by the limits you set on yourself here.

Advice to Management

Stay the course.

Learn at this investment firm and be be challenged.

I have been working at M.D. Sass full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to wear many hats and improve skill set here. You are exposed to many different business units which create opportunities if you rise to the occasion. Due to small size of the firm, hard work and dedication can and will be recognized.

Cons

None if you work hard. Embrace and Rise to the challenges.

Advice to Management

Keep Going ~

The Dark Side

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at M.D. Sass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the employees. Many are of strong character and work for the benefit of the client.

Cons

Company run like a small family owned candy store.

Advice to Management

Close up Shop!

M.D. Sass Response

Dec 17, 2013CEO

Since this was written by a salesman who was terminated , we take his advice to senior management for what's it's worth....

RSS Feed </> Embed