M Financial Group Reviews

1. Internship Experience

Former Employee - Intern in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Intern in Portland, OR

I worked at M Financial Group

Pros

Very friendly and competent staff. Helpful with a lot of tasks and give good guidance. Conduct regular seminars to guide interns with future prospects. HR is very friendly and sets up resume workshops and gives interview tips.

Cons

Salary is a little bit on the lower end. Other than that everything is pretty well off . Supervisors are good overall and there are a lot of events during the course of summer. The lodging provided by the company is not that great.

2. Smart people, challenging work, amazing benefits and bonus opportunity

Former Employee - Accountant
    Former Employee - Accountant

I worked at M Financial Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

M is full of very smart, talented people who are really passionate about the work they do. It was a joy to go to work with other like-minded, hard-working people on a daily basis. Yeah, there were a few quirky personalities, but overall I was impressed by how everyone really is a nice, good person who cares about their co-workers. The CEO is an amazing person, incredibly smart but also down-to-earth and caring. M was worlds different than the hectic, cut-throat culture I came from. It is a really "flat" organization, which means there are not a ton of opportunities to mover up. But, the people I worked with who were hard workers and had innovative ideas advanced and got a lot of positive attention. Also, the company I was at before had no work/life balance...people were super competitive about working very long hours, pulling all-nighters, not taking vacations in years, etc. What a bunch of b.s.! M people work hard but also know when to call it a night and go home, or to the gym, or to their kid's ball game. I was probably working 60+ hour weeks in public accounting most of the year and at M I worked less than 50 except during Q and Y/E close. The benefits were great - they paid the entire premium for my health care, good time off amount, nice match on 401(k) contributions, especially when profits were high (which they were for most of my 8 years there) and they gave an extra match. Also, they pay for parking in the Pearl! How cool is that? They also throw great parties...I was at first shocked at the costume contest at Halloween and the regular all-team meetings with snacks and beer - I thought it was going to be a more snooty environment given the industry. People really get into holidays and events and M pulls out all the stops.

Cons

There are some people who have been there forever and don't pull their weight. In my years at M, those became fewer and fewer, but still something that, if addressed, could make it a better company. I would still be there if my husband had not had a great opportunity come up in San Jose!

Advice to Management

Find ways to grow people's careers, even if it is not through promotions. Spread more responsibility over a wider group of people. Get rid of some of the cantankerous old-timers who don't pull their weight and whine!

3. Good overall blend of compensation and wok balance

Former Employee - Management in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Management in Portland, OR

I worked at M Financial Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good bonus structure, very nice office.

Cons

Extremely formal and conservative. Strict dress code.

Compensation was good but not enough. Behind the shiny facade is a significant lack of resources and quirky culture.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at M Financial Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very intelligent, capable employees that provide a high level of service considering the lack of adequate tools to do their jobs. Relatively small company. Great pay, benefits. Very nice offices in the Pearl District. My coworkers are the reason I stayed as long as I did.

Cons

The company likens itself to a country club for independent financial services firms and management is of the mindset that it is an absolute privilege to work there. Very little opportunity for upward or even lateral mobility. In my experience, managers were not well equipped to lead people and rarely helped to develop employees. Lack of mobility has led to the loss of skilled, experienced employees.

Advice to Management

Shake up middle management and listen to your employees. Low accountablity has made them complacent. Current management is stuck in the past. You have an incredibly intelligent and dynamic workforce...use them and their ideas to modernize your culture. Find ways to grow and keep experienced talent, otherwise you'll lose them and the relationships they've built with your independent offices.

Good team, smart people, flat organization, lack upward mobility

I worked at M Financial Group

Pros

Smart people, good pay, great benefits

Cons

Career stagnation, Not many middle management careers

7. A great work environment and great benefits.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at M Financial Group

Pros

They have great benefits for their employees, friendly employees and a great location.

Cons

Must be persistent in the insurance industry.

8. Definite wall between employees and upper management

I have been working at M Financial Group

Pros

A beautiful work place where everyone is dedicated to their jobs,

Cons

A few hard to work with personalities in each dept that make the every day experience unpleasant.

Advice to Management

Don't turn a blind eye to the ill natured employees just because they show up every day. They make the good people leave.

RSS Feed </> Embed