M-I SWACO Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Joe Bacho

Pros
  • Some of the field employees are fun to work with, committed to working safely and developing other employees (in 2 reviews)

• Excellent benefits, reasonable vacation time with pay, stability, 401k, well known, safe, certain positions get a truck with gas card (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Small opportunity for growth and development (in 2 reviews)

• no cons in this great organization (in 2 reviews)

1. Driilinf Fluids engineer

Current Employee - Drilling Fluids Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Drilling Fluids Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Good pay, good rotation 14 on 14 off. big exposure to drilling side of oilfield. Best starting job in oilfield. if you work good they try not to let you go.

Cons

Away from home, management issue. you need to work very hard to get promoted. job depends on oil prices, fear of getting layoff.

Advice to Management

keep promotion schedule on course

2. Great starting job in oilfield. Work from shoulders up.

Current Employee - Environmental Compliance Specialist in Harvey, LA
    Current Employee - Environmental Compliance Specialist in Harvey, LA

I have been working at M-I SWACO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Offshore pay, inside work, discount stock option, and great benefits and retirement.

Cons

Time spent away from home and Schlumberger's aquisition and transition affecting jobs.

3. Do not let Schlumberger place you here.

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Waynesboro, PA
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Waynesboro, PA

I worked at M-I SWACO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very relaxed working atmosphere - Pay is good when times are good - Willing to help you travel from where ever you live to get you to the field

Cons

- No work/life balance. None. - Will send you where ever the work is. Does not matter what they said to you before. - No communication between management and personnel...until the last second and management needs you - No loyalty to the brand or company or even fellow colleagues - A overwhelming sentiment of "I remember when this company was great", intrudes in nearly ever experienced employees day-to-day and hinders ongoing business. - Lack of training opportunities except for "go outside and work in the field", which does not work when management is not winning jobs.

Advice to Management

- The Schlumberger take over has been rocky and will continue to be until they wipe the M-I Swaco logo off of every piece of equipment.

Used to be great-still not bad

Current Employee - Mud Engineer
    Current Employee - Mud Engineer

I have been working at M-I SWACO full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay, time off, autonomy (mostly all go with this job across the industry) *Pro and cons of each location can vary GREATLY, FYI...

Cons

High highs, low lows Schlumberger takeover-completely changing/changed the company that they bought. *Before Schlumberger bought M-I, it felt like a family business, i.e. everyone was on the same team, wasn't much fear of losing jobs (always found a home for most even when it was slow), and the benefits were phenomenal, upward mobility was less systematic and more frequent. Now everything has and is changing to the corporate feel where you're just a very small spoke in the enormous wheel who doesn't really matter too much overall. Everything that has been changed to the Schlumberger way has been in benefit of the corporation by way the sacrifices of the individual employee. (Less pay, less benefits, more stress, etc.) Schlumberger has history of buying up businesses and ruining what made them great. I am afraid that this is happening to M-I.

Advice to Management

To Schlumberger, leave us to do what made us the best in the industry. You are bringing us all down every time take something from us and give it to the bigger company that did nothing to earn it.

6. It was a while ago

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at M-I SWACO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They had good benefits and paid well

Cons

Oil industry is up and down, buyout changed a lot of things.

What used to be an enjoyable place to work and plan your future is no more.

I have been working at M-I SWACO full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overall salaries are very competitive and even above average. In most positions you are able to work without being micromanaged.

Cons

Owned by Schlumberger...worst thing that has happened to M-I. The company is very reactive, rarely planning ahead. Quite a bit of wasteful spending goes on.

Advice to Management

Split with Schlumberger. At the very least, do something about the horrible employee moral.

8. DPM Field Specialist

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at M-I SWACO full-time

Pros

Good pay, good training opportunities, good people recruited for field specialist work.

Cons

Pay on lower end of industry standard, crew rotation is helter skelter.

Advice to Management

Invest development dollars to increase reliability; hire more folks to fill spots on crews so personnel aren't on-site for six, seven, eight weeks.

Not a good time to be in the oil field.

Current Employee - Drilling Fluids Specialist II in Harvey, LA
    Current Employee - Drilling Fluids Specialist II in Harvey, LA

I have been working at M-I SWACO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good money, and safe work environment. Work with guys with a lot of experience. Can move to other oil field jobs fairly easily.

Cons

No job security, cuts in all parts of the job. Limited room to move up with the current oil prices.

Mud Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at M-I SWACO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training, great intro to the oil industry.

Cons

Long hours. Little field training once you graduate from mud school.

11. A corrupt industry

Current Employee - Drilling Fluids Specialist in Shafter, CA
    Current Employee - Drilling Fluids Specialist in Shafter, CA

I have been working at M-I SWACO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The downtime is high. The work rotation is like having a vacation every two weeks. The pay is great... Relatively speaking.

Cons

The corruption in this industry is disgusting. We have a massive set of rules no one respects or follows. People steal from the company and management doesn't care. You will be pressured to do illegal things.

Advice to Management

No real professional would touch this industry with a ten foot pole. Keep hiring idiots and criminals and this company will implode from the inside.

RSS Feed </> Embed