M-I SWACO

Be The First To
Add Photos

Joe Bacho

the place was excellent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at M-I SWACO

Prosthere is great opportunity for advancement

ConsThere are no cons at all working here

Terrible to work for.

Operator (Current Employee)
Kilgore, TX

I have been working at M-I SWACO full-time for more than a year

ProsThe schlumberger benefits are great. Insurance was the best I ever had. Awesome att phone discount available to employees 23%.

ConsHours and locations are terrible. They act like any time off is a personal favor. No order to the chaos. Management is very combative they want control over your whole life even where you stay.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your underlings as human beings for a start.

Very fair management.

Senior Drilling Fluids Specialist (Current Employee)
Harvey, LA

I have been working at M-I SWACO full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMostly long term contract type work on very new deepwater and ultra deepwater rigs. Pay structure is very fair.

ConsConstant changes in policy with SLB buyout.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Not bad, except for opportunity of growth

I have been working at M-I SWACO

ProsThe pay is good when hours are available. There is an opportunity to drive a company vehicle in most cases. There is flexibility in most positions.

ConsSmall opportunity for growth and development. Oilfield service companies work the same hours as the oilfield, all day every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease opportunities for training and moving up the ladder for employees that earn it.

They were very good prior to sale to Schlumberger

Fluids Engineer (Current Employee)
Prudhoe Bay, AK

I have been working at M-I SWACO full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood schedule, used to be well paid. Used to have paid vacations

ConsSchlumberger influence taking over, lots of stress, lack of communication, obvious greed at the top

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your policies, appreciate your people and their experience, stop screwing people

The equipment is cutting edge and the pay at first was phenomenal then things changed.

Solids Control Tech (Former Employee)
Farmington, NM

I worked at M-I SWACO full-time for more than a year

ProsAs stated above the equipment was nice and health coverage at the time was also a good thing to have.

ConsI had to deal with having two of my paychecks taken from me as illegal deductions, all because i was given too many hours on one of my paychecks due to a clerical error. I offered to work with the company to pay back the sum in installments but they refused.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people who work for you they are you're roots and without happy employees you're competitors have a leg up. And always be aware of employees "Padding Hours" i have seen more then a handful do this pitiful practice.

good company and job

Drilling Fluids Specialist (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at M-I SWACO full-time for more than 3 years

Prosthe company is professional and the money was good. the training i received in the beginning was very very professional.

Consworking away from home and family. from my stand point i had to begin spending more time with my family

Advice to Senior Managementnill

Going downhill fast...

Operator (Former Employee)
Prudhoe Bay, AK

I worked at M-I SWACO full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome very dedicated and hard working employees. Training in the field is phenomenal. Products are exceptional. Services are good.

ConsA lot of bitter employees in the field that feel they are taken advantage of. Not a real competitive wage compared to all the other service companies in Alaska. Management trying to lower the wage standard in Alaska at any cost in order to get their bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's pretty sad that upper management has forgotten where they came from and what it takes to work in the in the arctic and make things happen. The best thing they could do is a significant increase the hourly wage and retain their best employees before the company goes to hell in a hand basket.

Frustrating

Drilling Fluids Specialist (Current Employee)
Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at M-I SWACO full-time for more than a year

Pros2 week on 2 week off schedule allows for 2 weeks off each month, but 14 12 hour work days in a row.

ConsExtremely disorganized. Performance and progress are ultimately subjective. Get paid less than most people on site, with more responsibility. Job not as promised.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake responsibility. Employees can operate independently, but need guidance as to the structure and processes that take place. A lack of transparency creates an environment of distrust and in-fighting. A reliable structure with defined progress and benchmarks in career progression would aid in boosting morale.

Good Experience for Accountants, but Company has it's Downfalls

Finance-Unspecified (Manager) (Current Employee)

I have been working at M-I SWACO full-time for more than 5 years

ProsQuick advancement (in some cases)
Good benefits (including discount stock purchase plan, 17 week maternity leave, fitness reimbursement, etc)

ConsStaff are spread too thin
Little training (for finance/admin staff)
Needs more standardized procedures

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people and give raises when due (without an act of congress).
Move toward centralizing finance functions (this will help standardizing processes, and allow for employees to specialize/focus on a smaller aspect on a larger scale).
Provide training for lower level admin/clerical persons.

Worked for M-I SWACO? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at M-I SWACO reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for M-I SWACO CEO Joe Bacho . All 38 reviews posted anonymously by M-I SWACO employees.