M*Modal

Updated December 12, 2014
Updated December 12, 2014
1.8

Duncan W. James

Pros
  • Work from home, set your own schedule (but once you set it, you're required to stick to it) (in 32 reviews)

• There are really no pros except health insurance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Line count counted by the management is always less than what the MTs count (in 7 reviews)

• Low pay per line, constantly increasing expectations, very little recognition (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

We will ask for more and pay you less.

Former Employee - HDS in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - HDS in Franklin, TN

I worked at M*Modal part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Equipment is provided if needed and when training is necessary you are compensated for it.

Cons

Turnover rate in management is so high you don't know what your supervisor's name will be the next day (and they don't know you). There is never an agreement between supervisors, QA and other departments about policies so no matter what you do, you will be wrong as far as someone is concerned. Lines are not recorded accurately so the pay was not what it should have been. We were constantly told that we were required to type outside of our scheduled hours, but since I was part-time, I had to stop before I hit a certain number of hours because I was not allowed to make overtime. Therefore, I was being made to type outside of my scheduled hours, but never allowed to benefit from it. Also, because I was part-time, there was no paid time off and no benefits.

There have to be allowances for emergencies, especially for mothers with young children. There should be some other way of dealing with employees other than constantly threatening to fire them. Part-time employees should either be compensated for working outside of their schedules when it is mandatory or they should not be asked to do it.

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor in Medina, OH
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor in Medina, OH

I worked at M*Modal full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Able to work from home/remotely. Awesome supervisor who was very encouraging and quick to give praise. Excellent support services available. Company provides hardware/software.

Cons

Production pay, no pay increases. Fear transcription is a dying career.

I would give MINUS stars, if possible.

Former Employee - HDS, MME
    Former Employee - HDS, MME

I worked at M*Modal full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are virtually no positive benefits of working for this company.

Cons

Bitterness, hostility, and resentment abound to the degree that I cannot be objective in listing the "cons." There are simply too many.

Take your company entirely back to India and use your own local workers.

Stay away!

Former Employee - Senior Healthcare Document Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Healthcare Document Analyst

I worked at M*Modal full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They give you equipment, computer, foot pedal and monitor and will fix and remedy problems when arise through their tech staff.

Cons

I worked for this company for 23 years as it grew and took over smaller companies. At first it was a great place to work, plenty of support, great pay, different name. However, after they switched to a virtual company and grew larger and larger, outsourced work, and returned their company to be publicly traded, they went down hill fast. They talk a good talk, but underneath, they are all about their stock holders and top management. Because I was at the top of the MT pay scale, they found the means to legally fire me. Two weeks later, they filed for Chapter 11. I would love to see this company either fail with their present policies or treat their employees with respect and concern because the MTs are the bedrock of this company.

None because they will not listen.

Medical Editor

Current Employee - Master Medical Editor/MT in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Master Medical Editor/MT in Franklin, TN

I have been working at M*Modal part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work from home, set your own schedule (but once you set it, you're required to stick to it). 20 hours minimum/week. No benefits unless you work 39-40 hours (full time). Immediate supervisors are fabulous (and I've worked there a bunch of years so I know).

As long as you work your hours, maintain your minimum line count and your quality, people leave you alone. That makes for great work/life balance, because you can log off and forget about work completely. It never follows you around. Which is good, because it's mentally draining work and you need time to recharge.

There is a high job stability aspect if you exceed their transcription standards and you keep your nose clean and do your job and do it well. It's easier for them to keep good transcriptionists than to have to train a bunch of new ones all the time. But, you have to be good at speech recognition editing because straight transcription is a small part of the job. It's mostly editing you're going to be doing.

Cons

Lack of transparency. More and more accounts are being sent overseas, and the US transcriptionists constantly get moved around to new teams/supervisors/accounts to cover whatever is left. Which means one day you have a stable account, and the next day it's gone, without so much as a heads-up. MTs are constantly left in the dark. Everything is done via e-mail, after the fact. This results in high instability, and therefore difficulty making a decent, consistent paycheck.

The supervisors notify you on Friday afternoon/evening that you're being moved around effective Monday. That's just terrible business practice. Almost every week I log into work, something else is different. Backup accounts change constantly. You have to do a lot of mental gymnastics in order to switch back and forth. I gave up months ago, really. I'm taking classes and will be leaving the field of medical transcription effective next spring (at the latest). It's not a field I recommend anybody to get into; unless you live in India, in which case, go for it, because that's where all the good accounts are.

There is a 99.6% "quality standard" but I use that term loosely because the "quality" being sent to QA from India is well below that, which I find unbelievable since English is my second language, and my reports are always of high quality. Yet, as a reward for US employees trying to adhere to the 99.6% standard, their accounts get sent overseas. I haven't seen a pay raise in years and years, and my line count pay has in fact been lowered in the name of "we're doing this to remain competitive". Which doesn't seem to be working out since they just went through bankruptcy. So I was forced to give up my hard-earned pay for what, exactly?

Be honest about your so-called "standards". Either apply them across the board, as a company, or don't bother having any. If your true "standard" is "money" then say so. I understand this is a business, not a charity. But don't lie to people and make them jump through more and more hoops without adequate compensation. Stop burning out your supervisors; they're doing the best they can.

Everything that matters with regard to transcription is in India. Including the help desk which is who we call when we have technological issues. I've never spoken to a US employee yet.

"Be thankful you have a job" should not be the feeling you instill into your employees. But it's the feeling we're left with. People don't respond very well to being treated poorly. That's when customers leave, and it's when your good employees leave. Your transcription business is built on the backbone of people who make you money with every word they type. Treat them better. Or you'll have none left that will actually meet any sort of quality standard. Would it really kill you to offer your MTs and Master Editors 0.1 cent a line more every year on their anniversary if they're doing a good job? Where is the incentive? There isn't any. Except to quit as soon as it's feasible to do so, and to look for greener pastures elsewhere.

Great first experience in EHR field.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at M*Modal as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Interesting and rewarding work, friendly and collaborative staff, management is involved, available, and committed to company success.

Cons

No significant cons I can think of.

Disappointing and frustrating.

Current Employee - Healthcare Documentation Specialist in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Healthcare Documentation Specialist in Franklin, TN

I have been working at M*Modal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None except their insurance. That's it.

Cons

Pretty much everything. You're told you have an account as your primary, then you get another one added. Then finally, not doing either account but a different one you have never heard of!!!!!. Of course, this happens when you start to build your line count up a little. Knit-picky QA. They correct your stuff when it's really wrong or not.....they just change it to how it suits them. I know.....I have looked stuff up and it does no good to tell management.

Why......it does no good.!!!!!!!

Depends on what you are looking for personally, but was not good for me.

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor

I worked at M*Modal full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None for me. What good is working at home if you can barely make enough money to pay your internet provider bill?

Cons

Just about everything. Not really a great company for the American MT anymore. ASR is really bad. Pay is really low. Constant schedule change demands. Constant nickle and diming by QA for things like commas (!!!) just to control your paycheck. I was not okay with an offshore QA person grading my work. I would never recommend working for any of the national services, though. Just my personal experience.

Many things to say --- but they wouldn't listen anyway, so why bother. My reported experience is to help potential employees make their decision whether to work there or not. The company does not want any advice. They are padding their wallets just fine as far as they are concerned.

They help you forget why you became a transcriptionist

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor in Dothan, AL
    Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor in Dothan, AL

I have been working at M*Modal part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Today, I am finding it hard to find a pro....Oh yeah, they provided a computer, a really old one.

Cons

Communication is terrible, feel like I work for a ghost company. Give more office parties and then cut our pay to compensate for overspending...got that info off facebook. Been changed to another group, promised full time, can not get a return response from supervisor even after going through all required avenues. Pay is less than minimum wage and I have begun to not care and in my line of work, that is dangerous. As far as sending work overseas, it is totally wrong...total violation of HIPPA, but hey, no one has sued MModal for bad transcription....yet.

Same I would give the government....employees take over and fire them all and recreate the company.

Software Company with failed product having to "put up" with human typists still to provide service

Current Employee - MLS in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - MLS in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at M*Modal full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work at home. Period. And now that's not even worth what this company puts you through.

Cons

The biggest con (pun firmly intended) is this software company has benefitted by taking on a workforce primarily of women with no collective bargaining unit. Hence, a highly technical profession that takes years to perfect is relegated to that of simply a "typist" or now "editors" that correct their failed human replacement software; a program which has proven to simply be a tool for the MLS (medical language specialist) and not what was hoped for, a replacement of the MLS. Outsourcing to ELS countries is also disastrous as it takes 3-4 QC editors to correct ELS transcription work.

No advice, they do not care, and have no idea what the largest portion of the revenue producing workforce does. I could easily be up and going in one of the myriad of unneeded middle management positions or even upper management inside a week. However, Management could not do what I do with the best Voice Recognition software available.