M*Modal

Updated Jun 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Duncan W. James

Pros:
  • "Being able to work from home is the only pro"
    in 25 reviews
  • "gained good team work experience"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low pay per line, constantly increasing expectations, very little recognition"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Line count counted by the management is always less than what the MTs count"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Lost in the shuffle

Medical Transcriptionist/Editor (Former Employee)

ProsGreat for moms whose kids are in school.

ConsFor performing voice recognition editing, I was paid almost half the amount I would receive for transcribing the same length document, which takes the same amount of time. Even though I always scored 99-100% on QA, was never fairly compensated, making close to minimum wage.

Buyer beware!

Master Medical Editor (Former Employee)
    Franklin, TN

ProsMModal has its own software for medical transcription. Great program, very easy and helpful to use.

ConsThis company used to be wonderful to work for. I was there for 21 years. As time went on, they slowly compressed their benefits and their minimum requirements. They now require an unrealistic 99.5% minimum audit score to remain hired and are hinting at raising it to 99.7% as well as raising the minimum production rate. I had over 57 clients that I was responsible for with a variety of client profiles to keep track of . As soon as one becomes comfortable with new clients or rules, they shift management and MTs.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to your work force, those MTs that make all that money for you. Hiring efficiency experts to run the company is the worst possible scenario.

I'm sure there are better places to work for

Medical Transcriptionist/Editor (Current Employee)
    Franklin, TN

ProsI get a paycheck and get to work at home

ConsProduction pay is very stressful. There is a high push for quality and quantity, but it's well known that you cannot produce one without sacrificing the other.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is top heavy and it kills the transcriptionists/editors.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bought out Meridian, cut out pay and treated us like trash.

Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee)

ProsAbility to work from home

ConsHeld to an unreasonable standard of perfection. Lousy speech wreck platform. Low pay, berated constantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your US employees with some respect. You make millions and seem to be concerned only for our "indian friends."

MModal Sucks

MT/ME (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThere is nothing positive to say about this sweatshop.

Cons50% cut in pay, too many managers, no consistency, no respect for MTs. The list goes on and on.

Advice to Senior ManagementThese people do not take advice. They will continue to screw over employees so they can make huge profits. My advice to anyone who works there is go get out now. Find something else completely outside of medical transcription. It is a dead end job.

Liked it at first but care nothing about loyalty and have unfair practices.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTheir insurance is cheaper than you'll find anywhere and they give you incentives.

ConsThey have no set way to deal with quality issues. You can have it one way with whomever is the quality analysis director or person that does the audits and you can argue but it does no good and if that person leaves and another takes his/her place, the rules will change and you are wrong no matter what. They will never admit when they make a mistake.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst of all you all need to keep accurate records. You all had that I had been there for nearly 10 years and it was only almost 5. Secondly, if you want to get rid of people and hire others so it doesn't cost you so much then say that instead of lie about it and stop lining the same butt kissers pants with money. The ones who do not help their employees at all. Do not make your entire company about beating Nuance. That's just stupid. They do not make their company motto all about doing better than you guys. Loyalty should be rewarded and not a reason to terminate someone and the most important thing is that when it comes to quality, there needs to be a set way of doing things, and a proper way to dispute an error called on an individual that will be heard in a fair manner.

Enjoyed my working career with M*Modal.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI especially enjoyed the opportunity for career advancement. It was great to work in a culturally diverse environment using cutting edge technology.

ConsMultiple changes in upper management.

A company could not value its employees less than M*Modal

Master Medical Editor/MT (Current Employee)

Prospay received regularly, computer supplied by company

Conswork outsourced overseas, "quality assurance" employees are ESL and make multiple gross errors on domestic employees' reports. Lack of management communication/response to inquires leads to speculation and gossip, essentially a sweatshop. International employees appear to be given preference and benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect, value your employees. I have worked for this company for double digit years. My pay has been cut in half, I no longer receive 2 hours PTO accrual/pay period as my only benefit. Shame on you,

Terrible

Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsNothing, other than working at home, but even that didn't offset this horrible company

ConsHorrible dictators, horrible voice recognition, terrible treatment of MTs no matter how long you have worked there, no work, low pay. Horrible in every way.

Advice to Senior ManagementHorrible, horrible, horrible. That is all I can say about this company other than any other negative word.

No appreciation for work done right, they just search your work for mistakes.

Medical Transcriptionist/Editor (Current Employee)
    New Haven, CT

ProsYou can work from home.

ConsThe pay is terrible. They are using threatening, intimidating scare techniques to keep employees in line.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour QA people need to agree. They contradict each other. You need to recognize good work and stop focusing on picking on stupid mistakes.

Worked for M*Modal? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at M*Modal reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for M*Modal CEO Duncan W. James. All 64 reviews posted anonymously by M*Modal employees.