M*Modal Reviews

Updated April 14, 2015
96 reviews filtered by
2.2
Duncan W. James

Pros
  • Work from home, set your own schedule (but once you set it, you're required to stick to it) (in 32 reviews)

• There are really no pros except health insurance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Line count counted by the management is always less than what the MTs count (in 7 reviews)

• Low pay per line, constantly increasing expectations, very little recognition (in 6 reviews)

1. Good place to work

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at M*Modal full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, work from home, great team and management. They allow you to do your job and do not micromanage.

Cons

Competitive industry. In 10 years, this company has been merged, bought, and re-structured more times than I can count so there are times that the future is uncertain. Not a lot of opportunity to advance.

2. Not good, but at least still employed

Current Employee - HDS in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - HDS in Remote, OR

I have been working at M*Modal

Pros

Being able to work remotely, having autonomy for the most part. The work is interesting and I do enjoy that part of the job - the actual work itself.

Cons

Flexible scheduling is a thing of the past. In an effort to better comply with HIPAA the last of the customer service was removed from the hands of the MTs (HDS). And now some of the hospitals are pulling their contracts. I'm not sure why they can't put 2 and 2 together. Keeping the clients happy is as important as TAT and quality. This doesn't seem to dawn on upper management.

Advice to Management

This week I saw my direct supervisor praised for having the best turnaround time in her POD. And then when a client pulled out, I saw her be put on the chopping block in the same week. Stop treating your managers like they're replaceable, which they are to you, but not to us. With each new manager we get, you and the clients are losing a little bit more of the relationships we had built. It's fracturing the company to keep revolving them out. Knock it off.

3. M*Modal Healthcare Documentation Specialist

Current Employee - Healthcare Documentation Specialist
    Current Employee - Healthcare Documentation Specialist

I have been working at M*Modal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing software (Fluency for Transcription) for transcription and editing. Great supervisor.

Cons

The pay more or less amounts to minimum wage. If you work your tail end off to the bone, you might make a little more. Your wages are completely at the mercy of the quality of the dictation you receive, so rotten dictators or bad audio quality = low wages for you!

Advice to Management

Give your workhorses fairer wages. If you don't you will end up with low quality employees. The best ones are finally getting fed up of 10 years of slave wages and leaving for other opportunities.

5. A great place to work

I have been working at M*Modal

Pros

Friendly, comfortable environment. The people you work with are all fantastic.

Cons

Not a lot of room for a software engineer to advance.

6. Decent Company to Work for

Former Employee - National Sales Manager
    Former Employee - National Sales Manager

I worked at M*Modal

Pros

Organized, very knowledgeable and aware of industry trends.

Cons

Small fish in a big sea

Advice to Management

When you buy smaller companies, take time to assess the talent you've been blessed with through that sale. Being pushed aside without even having a chance to talk to management about my specific skill set was hard to deal with. The company I worked for was doing well when M*Modal bought it. I was never interviewed or assimilated into a new position. They "gave" me a new title, no direction (other than to continue to take direction from the previous owner who they incorporated into their structure) and then laid me off a few months after takeover. At that point, I applied to many other companies in the industry, and would have been happily absorbed into a transcription pool. Having been out of this underpaid position for quite some time, I chose to reinvent myself in a completely different industry - very tough and very trying, but finally worth it. The medical documentation industry is not a friendly one anymore unless you are willing to work for pennies as a transcriptionist or are lucky enough to be retained in management after takeover. I had looked forward to integrating into a company with a fine reputation, but never had the chance and my phone calls and emails were ignored. I know of many folks that were in the same boat, and who M*Modal would have been fortunate to have had on their team.

7. this company is the worst of the worst

I have been working at M*Modal

Pros

none that i can think of, except you do get benefits.

Cons

pay is abysmal. constantly changing the clients you type for so you never get used to anything and therefore never really get good at anything, which is apparently their plan because if you were good at it you'd be cranking out the lines and making some money. most everyone is making minimum wage or if they are lucky just slightly above. the whole industry of medical transcription is sinking and while they claim that they care about patient care, the truth is rather obvious, they don't, they only care about making big bucks for the head honchos and keeping the workers as unhappy as possible.

Advice to Management

start paying your MTs a livable wage. you complain your clients aren't happy about the quality of the work. well guess what? MTs are at their best when they get the same dictators and know what they mean to say even before they say it. constantly giving us different clients every day will never improve quality and will guarantee mistakes. all healthcare institutions should do away with Mmodal as their transcription service. oh, and by the way, this speech recognition does not work. you pay us less for editing and we have to work twice as hard to correct the ridiculous mistakes the computer makes at transcription. this whole place is a joke.

8. Nothing is Permanent except for change....

Current Employee - Customer Relationship Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Relationship Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at M*Modal full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Operations staff and management care about the well-being of their employees and peers, like a close-knit family. Priceless learning experience.

Cons

Salary below average, Poor work/life balance, expected to work 7 days a week and many 12 hour days. Employees were not valued by Corporate office, which impacts morale. No Consistency, expect a corporate-wide restructure twice a year.

Advice to Management

Desperately needs more transparency... be honest, fair and consistent with all of your employees. Employee salaries should be within the national average, and based on where the employee resides. For example, a CRM who has a client base in and lives in Mississippi should not have the same salary as a CRM with a client base in and resides in California.

9. Have been employed by Medquist/MModal for almost 15 years. I hate it more and more every second of every day!!

Current Employee - Medical Editor/Transcriptionist in Cambridge, OH
    Current Employee - Medical Editor/Transcriptionist in Cambridge, OH

I have been working at M*Modal full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working from home, basically making your own hours, and benefits if you're full-time.

Cons

Poor pay for the importance and expectations of job performance (still just minimum wage after 15 years and considered below poverty level). Very little, if any, positive reinforcement.

Advice to Management

Pay employees wages needed to make a basic living. I work full-time for you and am considered below poverty level. There is no reward for the job I do for 40 hours a week, monetary or personal.

Terrible. Very unfair to their MT's. I would seek employment with another MT company as there are many out there.

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Detroit, MI

I have been working at M*Modal part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home. That is really the only pro working for MMODAL.

Cons

Very unfair wage and they constantly report less than the employee's actual line count, sometimes by quite a bit. As an MT, you are required to document QA submissions, add Doctor names, make notations in the patient information and are not compensated for doing so. The growth opportunity is nil, the office culture is all about the top management.

Advice to Management

Work in the shoes of an MT for one week, all of you do my job for one week. When your paycheck comes, try to make sense of it. It is like reading the tax code. Impossible to understand but one you do understand, pay attention to the line count. Mine has never been correct and so I am even more underpaid and constantly harassed about my line count being under, when it is consistently way over my required lph! Very unfair MT employee work environment.

11. Company underwent numerous transformations during my tenure (15 years).

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor

I worked at M*Modal part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working from home. Flexible scheduling.

Cons

Compensation steadily declined due to offshoring. With voice recognition there was a promise of ability to increase productivity. Instead I found myself constantly correcting the errors of non-native English speakers. I requested a raise once and the company returned with a whopping 1% over a year later.

Advice to Management

Obviously, with off-shoring you get what you pay for. People who are not native English speakers do not hear common colloquial phrases the same way we do.