M-Tek Reviews

Updated April 20, 2015
20 reviews filtered by
2.5
Kazuto Kogo

1. I have had an experience to work with a great team.

Current Employee - Teamleader in Madison, MS
    Current Employee - Teamleader in Madison, MS

I have been working at M-Tek

Pros

The best reason is being able to be a team member of great employees.

Cons

The downsides are getting team members to work as a team that are not team oriented.

Advice to Management

Making them proud of what they do.

2. The only job I regret having accepted.

Former Contractor - Design Engineer in Novi, MI
    Former Contractor - Design Engineer in Novi, MI

I worked at M-Tek as a contractor

Pros

Some of the ex-pats are friendly to work with. A paycheck is provided on a weekly basis. My first manager was a good manager and helpful until he left for a better job. You won't have to worry about having to travel.

Cons

If you get a job offer here, it may well be better to refuse because unemployment may provide better opportunities for advancement. In my time working at M-Tek, the insurance offered had a low payroll deduction, and for a reason - nobody has heard of it, and with one exception every time a claim was submitted, the insurance paid NOTHING. The payrate was below typical pay for a position. Most of the staff used for engineering positions are designers, and I suspect because I was a degreed engineer management felt I was overpaid relative to others who were not a degreed engineer. Consequently, a negative work environment was the predominant experience while I worked there. On multiple occasions I was asked to falsify my time sheet to under-report hours. Although my original manager provided an excellent reference and positively reviewed me, a job offer I received after working here called the office and reached my second manager (the one who coerced me into under-reporting hours by refusing to sign time sheets that reflected 40 hours). This second manager gave a negative review full of false information, leading to a job offer being withdrawn. As this was a violation of company policy (company policy is to only provide verification of dates of employment) I reported the incident to HR, but I doubt anything was done.

I confirm other reports, their systems are antiquated, the programs they have are mostly extended programs, some programs have been lost due to capacity issues. From what I've seen of competitors though, capacity seems to be a common issue within this segment and is probably the reason this company is able to stay in business in spite of its problems.

Not enough seats on CAD software. Lack of internal IT support. Systems were set up by former employees no longer with the company, and in some cases nobody knows how to access the systems.

At the time I left, they were interviewing. My boss would complain to me that they couldn't get candidates with the qualifications they need, but my contract house contacts told me they would turn down applicants with good qualification because the pay rate was too high.

Advice to Management

You get what you pay for. And when you won't pay for the work you want your employees to perform,

3. lack of management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, TN

I worked at M-Tek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

if you need work they will hire you

Cons

if you like what you do and take pride in what you do don't work here

Advice to Management

hire people with experience, not just because they are a friend or relative.

Tiring

Former Employee - Buyer in Manchester, TN
    Former Employee - Buyer in Manchester, TN

I worked at M-Tek

Pros

Good wages and great people.

Cons

Unorganized and management don't want to listen to fix the problems. Needs a more advanced system and EDI abilities. Needs to be on the same technology communications as major customers and in the 21st century. Software is old unless your management. Good ole boy system. Keep hiring new management and don't consider feedback from the grunt workers. Concerns mentioned are, "the nuts and bolts" of a much bigger operation.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who do the work to make the profit!

Buyer

I worked at M-Tek

Pros

Good benefits. Bad management during employment.

Cons

Poor training. Did not prepare me for the job.

Advice to Management

Have a training program in place for new employees. Make sure the person training you is the right person for the position.

7. last job

Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Manchester, TN
    Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Manchester, TN

I worked at M-Tek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good pay and benefits,willing to increase employees work load hours and pay.good clean break rooms,bathrooms,and parking lot,good security also

Cons

7 day work weeks,to much work not enough time for family friends or a social life outside of work?need to instill more incentives for those who are willing to work overtime instead of requiring everyone to work overtime?

Advice to Management

rotate schedule to give employees some much needed time off?

Disorganized and without structure

Current Employee - Buyer in Manchester, TN
    Current Employee - Buyer in Manchester, TN

I have been working at M-Tek full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great insurance and benefits, great people that work there and bonds are formed. In the process of restructuring and its a great time to join and improve with the company.

Cons

Pay rate stinks! I have been underpaid as a salaried employee from the first day. The computer systems are ancient and there is no proper flow of information or procedure in place. M-Tek is very much a "good ole boy" facility. Due to high volumes of turnover in recent years, mostly new management. I do see bits and pieces of improvement but it is a very slow change.

Advice to Management

Work on improving internal processes and bring M-Tek into the 21st century... and get SAP! There are far too many errors that are completely unnecessary and are extremely costly. SAP is very user friendly and will reduce overhead in the long run. All injection machines should have mixers at their lines or we should have a vacuum system that feeds each too with resin. Convince Kasai that they need to reinvest our profits into system and process improvements and reduce costs by sending most of the Japanese back to Japan. Americans are capable of doing efficient and running a business.

It has been eye-opening seeing how a company so big can be so backward to progressive thinking in industry.

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Manchester, TN
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Manchester, TN

I have been working at M-Tek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

M-Tek / Kasai is able to make some very good-pooking products using technology that is out-of-date and in need of major service or replacement.
    Health benefits are outstanding, but with recent changes coming from HR, I don't hold much hope of keeping them long-term.

Cons

There are a ton of procedures that no one knows and no one follows. The biggest quality problems they have are missing components, wrong components, mislabeled product and other concerns that are not true defects but assembly or inventorycontrol errors but they will not invest in a robust inventory control system.

Advice to Management

Work on inventory control and labeling, component verification through robust poke yokes and stop relying on people to catch the errors.

10. I liked working there just to far of a drive for me.

Former Employee - Assembly Door Line in Upper Sandusky, OH
    Former Employee - Assembly Door Line in Upper Sandusky, OH

I worked at M-Tek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

most everyone is nice to you

Cons

to far of a drive for me

Advice to Management

you can give your opinion but most of time not taken

11. Dominant "Good Ole Boy" management ZERO opportunities outside of the "Good Ole Boys"

Current Employee - Salaried in Manchester, TN
    Current Employee - Salaried in Manchester, TN

I have been working at M-Tek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Insurance that is all.Only reason here.

Cons

There are not any structured qualifications for advancement, racial harassment is condoned and accepted. HR department is a joke plant and corporate. The company does not want employees to know their legal rights. Advancement in the company is striclty based on if you are liked or sleeping around with management staff. A Sr Mgr joked with a shop floor employee about finding a "big ti@@y woman to snuggle up with. Sr Mgr. asked what it would be like to" scr#w " a shop floor employee. HR no action. HR picks and chooses what it will respond to. NO TRUST OF Management on any level. Making bad parts and passing on to the customer.

Advice to Management

Accountability at ALL levels. Stop promoting yes men and flunkees. Restructure educate HR staff. that will slow down the rotating door of employees. Lost quality employees