M&G Reviews

4.2

Michael G.A. McLintock

Awesome Grad Internship

I worked at M&G as an intern

Pros

Interesting dynamic, career length employees, wealth of knowledge

Cons

With a large group of career length employees, there are frequent territorial scuffles.

Relaxed and refreshing place to work

I have been working at M&G full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Open and inclusive environment, mutual respect amongst everyone (no one thinking they're better than the next person). Big emphasis on developing self and career.

Cons

Have yet to come across any...

Excellent work placement, fantastic work culture.

Former Employee - RAD Developer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - RAD Developer in London, England (UK)

I worked at M&G as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The work culture at M&G is excellent, with much of the responsibility of how you complete your work left up to the employee. There are many training opportunities, both financial and technical. The salary and location of the company is ideal, and there are many social events organised by the company to encourage team building and job satisfaction.

Cons

There are not many opportunities for promotions within the teams, and things can move quite slowly, for example; it can take weeks to have the right permissions granted for an employee to have access to a certain page of a website.

Vital information needs to be shared across the departments so work isn't repeated.

Very good company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at M&G full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a great company to work for. They support you in all your educational needs and career development. There are so many training sessions. The people are friendly and work life balance is excellent. Another plus is that they really like to keep their employees so they encourage secondments and it is not difficult to move within the company, provided you prepare yourself.
    Another plus is that HR trains staff very well to support women in their careers even during pregnancy/maternity. I recently had a baby and I was initially scared that my career opportunities would suffer because of my pregnancy, but not at all.
    I wish more companies were like this, so very recommended!

Cons

Of course on the other side is compensation. The company definitely doesn't pay as well as others, but then again, the work atmosphere is much better and life-work balance more than compensates for less pay.

Personally I think another con is the Company's disinterest in incorporating ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) criteria in the investment process. The company says that they do look at these issues as part of the process, but it is easy to say but hard to prove if you do not have a person/department looking into this actively and benchmarking. This is perhaps the only reason why I would choose another Asset Manager, but that is something very personal.

Not a positive experience , false promises

Former Employee - Compliance Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Compliance Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at M&G full-time

Pros

Like my ex colleague said, the only good thing about working in M&G Compliance is the free tea and coffee. Some friendly people and relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

No career progression, not very nice or knowledgable managers. They hire too many new entrants, as they are cheap. New entrants love M&G as it gives them a fantastic start. However, teaching them can be stressful. Trying to train 4 inexperienced people at once is both challenging and unfair to them and me.

Managers just love head count but do not need it. If you banned instant message you'd be surprised how much work can be produced.

Great first job

Former Employee - Commercial Management Graduate in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Commercial Management Graduate in London, England (UK)

I worked at M&G full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent work-life balance, friendly employees, rotational program is beneficial to gain a holistic view of the business

Cons

Compensation is below the curve compared to competitors, sub-par benefits compared to current employer, HR department is particularly useless and to a certain extent inhibits graduate development especially to those who fancy a cross-departmental move

Invest in a technology consultant, company lacks innovation

Amazing company to work for

Former Employee - Investment Analyst! in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Investment Analyst! in London, England (UK)

I worked at M&G as an intern

Pros

(i) believes in staff development (ii) environment that fosters critical thinking and debate (iii) flat structure where even the CEO sits on the floor, allows rapid information sharing (iv) amazing co-workers who are excellent and passionate (v) management that thinks ahead (vi) one of the lowest employee turnover rate in the city (vii) great work-life balance (viii) human resource / recruitment team that truly listens and care for your well being

Cons

(i) lack of standard procedures might led to inefficiencies

Great place to work!

I have been working at M&G full-time

Pros

Good team, great culture and its a growing business

Cons

Slow in decision making sometimes and hence waste time in going around the same thing again and again.

Software Developer

I have been working at M&G

Pros

Flexible environment where you feel relaxed around a great bunch of people. Everyone gets a say no matter how junior you are.

Cons

Work isn't particularly exciting. Business doesn't pay much attention to software developers or the importance of technical excellence. Not a great amount of room for progression.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at M&G full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company is on a high and it's reflected in the work experience. Pay isn't as good as many competitors, but that's made up for by the career development opportunities, colleagues and favourable market position.

Cons

Some departments are very bureaucratic; maintaining the momentum in the next few years will be tough.

M&G Photos