M&G Reviews

Michael G.A. McLintock

1. Awesome Grad Internship

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at M&G as an intern

Pros

Interesting dynamic, career length employees, wealth of knowledge

Cons

With a large group of career length employees, there are frequent territorial scuffles.

Back Office Team Supervisor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at M&G full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Learning & Development - so many options for courses / further learning and not normally too many barriers.
    Continuity of performance - regular bonuses & pay rises
    Friendly - strong culture across much of the business, certain areas of back office not included

Cons

This is largely centred on my experience of my department alone.
    Poor management - wrong people in elevated positions & director level "blindness"
    HR - shockingly inadequate and have failed to act on numerous complaints
    Pay - middle of the spectrum for a company of its kind
    Care for people - Doesn't seem to be any - people working long hours for very little thanks and no real goal to change this

Advice to Management

Try to maintain the past culture which remains in certain areas of middle / front office and pay more attention to the thoughts of staff, people who have valuable feedback.

3. If you want a CAREER rather than a 9-5 paying job this is not the place for you

Former Employee - Back Office in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Back Office in London, England (UK)

I worked at M&G full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free tea and coffee, instant messanger keeps you occupied, hardly any work (easy money), loads of headcount being added constantly as staff are good at pretending to be busy, 9-5 hours, people take long lunches

Cons

There seems to be a pattern in some support departments that it's a sin to progress.

Lack of support and poor management - They ignore you, treat you like dirt, talk about you behind your back, start rumours, no guidance, poor knowledge, refuse training internal/external

Your job spec will not change - It's false promises of growth. Many staff spend their days doing analysis that no one looks at as requested. Time wasting duties. If a new task comes in they will just add headcount.

Too much headcount - suits the 9-5 jobbers but not the career hungry folks as you aren't learning much.

Confidence levels goes down - managers don't let you speak in meetings or delegate appropriately, huge issues with micro-management.

Full of clicks - trust no one. The managers just back stab eachother and blame stuff on you behind your back to cover themselves, don't expect them to stick by you.

Advice to Management

Pay less, work harder.
    More oversight by Directors of the heads of the areas.
    Stop ignoring cries for help.

5. Supportive environment where you are encouraged to work to your full potential.

I have been working at M&G

Pros

Great work life balance with the opportunity to learn, develop, and enhance your skills and career.

Cons

Technology is perhaps behind where it could be however this isn’t a major issue and doesn’t impact the overall results you are able to achieve.

Advice to Management

Increasing availability to staff to have access to company blackberries or iphones rather than having to use own devices.

Fantastic company! Plenty of opportunities to develop your career and excellent training.

I have been working at M&G full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance. Managers take the time to listen and understand. The training opportunities on offer are the best that I have seen in my experience. Excellent opportunity for internal mobility across the business. Good performance is recognised and rewarded on all levels including further career opportunities and with compensation. A very professional and respectful environment with some exceptional colleagues.

Cons

I have personally not experienced any.

My experience unpleasant - but can see why it is a great company for some.

Former Contractor - Back Office in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Back Office in London, England (UK)

I worked at M&G as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Generally friendly people, free (good) coffee, great canteen. Benefits are good for full-time staff, training seems good for everyone. Contractors offered some benefits after a qualifying period. Opportunities for staff to move to different departments if wished. Pay good.

Cons

I could see that teams around me had a great atmosphere and culture. But I didn't enjoy the atmosphere or culture within my team at all. It was very cliquey. My manager never spoke to me during my time there. Immediate colleagues were polite but not friendly. I was never given any feedback on performance but felt that conversations were taking place about me behind my back which affected my confidence after a while. Leaving on time on any evening was heavily frowned upon but this only seemed to be by my team. On the job training involved a lot of looking at procedures which is no replacement for actually being told how a task relates to the job you're doing. Whilst M&G prides itself on the way it treats its staff, my particular experience is negative and left me feeling quite disillusioned with the company.

Advice to Management

Even temporary staff need to know if their performance isn't up to the expectations of the team and management. Otherwise how do they know that anything is wrong? If I had been given one-to-one appropriate feedback earlier in line with everyone else in the department, I might still be working there. I consider the way my contract ended was quite unprofessional.

8. Relaxed and refreshing place to work

I have been working at M&G full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Open and inclusive environment, mutual respect amongst everyone (no one thinking they're better than the next person). Big emphasis on developing self and career.

Cons

Have yet to come across any...

9. Excellent work placement, fantastic work culture.

Former Contractor - RAD Developer in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - RAD Developer in London, England (UK)

I worked at M&G as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The work culture at M&G is excellent, with much of the responsibility of how you complete your work left up to the employee. There are many training opportunities, both financial and technical. The salary and location of the company is ideal, and there are many social events organised by the company to encourage team building and job satisfaction.

Cons

There are not many opportunities for promotions within the teams, and things can move quite slowly, for example; it can take weeks to have the right permissions granted for an employee to have access to a certain page of a website.

Advice to Management

Vital information needs to be shared across the departments so work isn't repeated.

Not a positive experience , false promises

Former Employee - Compliance Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Compliance Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at M&G full-time

Pros

Like my ex colleague said, the only good thing about working in M&G Compliance is the free tea and coffee. Some friendly people and relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

No career progression, not very nice or knowledgable managers. They hire too many new entrants, as they are cheap. New entrants love M&G as it gives them a fantastic start. However, teaching them can be stressful. Trying to train 4 inexperienced people at once is both challenging and unfair to them and me.

Advice to Management

Managers just love head count but do not need it. If you banned instant message you'd be surprised how much work can be produced.

Very good company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at M&G full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a great company to work for. They support you in all your educational needs and career development. There are so many training sessions. The people are friendly and work life balance is excellent. Another plus is that they really like to keep their employees so they encourage secondments and it is not difficult to move within the company, provided you prepare yourself.
    Another plus is that HR trains staff very well to support women in their careers even during pregnancy/maternity. I recently had a baby and I was initially scared that my career opportunities would suffer because of my pregnancy, but not at all.
    I wish more companies were like this, so very recommended!

Cons

Of course on the other side is compensation. The company definitely doesn't pay as well as others, but then again, the work atmosphere is much better and life-work balance more than compensates for less pay.

Personally I think another con is the Company's disinterest in incorporating ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) criteria in the investment process. The company says that they do look at these issues as part of the process, but it is easy to say but hard to prove if you do not have a person/department looking into this actively and benchmarking. This is perhaps the only reason why I would choose another Asset Manager, but that is something very personal.