M&I Bank

Updated Jun 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark F. Furlong

M&I was a great place to work prior to the BMO acquisition in 2011.

Analyst (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsM&I did a number of things to show their appreciation for their employees each year. Encouraged employees to get involved with events in the community. People looked forward to coming into work each day as their co-workers had become part of their extended families.

ConsSince the acquisition, the communication between senior management and those working below is pretty much nonexistent in many areas of the company. There is little to no direction given as to where things are going with their jobs or how the worked is to get completed as the workforce is being continously down sized.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to learn to better communicate what is expected of their direct reports. Something needs to be done to improve the moral in the work place or employees are going to continue to look for employment opportunities outside the company.

Personal Banker (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsYou get to visit clients at the business site.
    Flexible Schedule.
    Great customers.

ConsUsed to be great place to work, since merger and sales force came in and new rules to make phone calls is out of control.
    They make you call customers like voice to voice like 50 people a week. And whatsoever you MUST schedule 25 appointments a week. If not and even if you are performing it will effect your performance. Too many fake people, and not trusting regional nor senior management.
    And even if you are doing great in sales and performing in that field still doesn't matter or even taking care of your customers

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you keep doing what you are doing with Salesforce and MiForce you will have lot of disappointing great bankers and employees that will start living which already did happen. You are putting too much pressure on all of us.. Its not a great economy now and people are scared to give a negative comment which you wouldn't like.
    This used to be a great place to work and people used to go happy to work here. But somehow it is changing to worse.

Awful place to work at

Teller Supervisor (Current Employee) Bloomington, MN

ProsGood life/work balance. Flexible schedule.

ConsReally bad communication with Management. Company went thru a merger and Management didn't know how to deal with anything and was blaming employees all the time, letting people go and asking employees to step down. This position also includes a lot of HR duties that you don't receive training for and are expected to know.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, a big communication problem between employees and management. Company needs to focus on positive feedback and possibly building better teams that work together to improve the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good experience but technology, systems and product offerings are not up to par with competition.

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsIt is a midsize company, so you have the small company feel with the big company benefits. You know everyone in your department and don't feel like a number.

ConsThey don't keep up with the competition as far as product offering and technology. When I come over from a larger bank, I felt like they were behind the times. Doesn't really affect your ability to do your job, it just makes it a little more difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more money on technology upgrades and continue to look into more product offerings for your customers. You need to offer what your competition offers.

A good place ruined by very bad people, with no professional values or ethics.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsTraining good. Resources are there but you need to know where to look. Support among peers is there. Benefits ok.

ConsHR department the worst in Arizona. People complained from outside company about unprofessional behavior present at functions. Embarrassment to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over you have ruined a very good company by dishonesty, avarice and coverups. There is no way to fix crazy.

Good culture, limited opportunities in this market.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGood people, very supportive, hard working staff. Committed to work/life balance. Good benefit package. Competitive salaries. Bank culture is what attracted many of our employees.

ConsLimited opportunities in this remote market. Too far from the mother ship. No real focus on growing in Florida. Have to move north to grow professionally.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearly communicate the strategy to the employees in Florida. Commit the resources to make us relevant and able to make and impact.

Satisfying corporate employer

Manager (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe corporate culture is very employee oriented. Benefits are satisfactory with several options for medical as well as retirement. Fosters a sense of teamwork.

ConsWhile most managers are good, managers need to manage their employees - if not, they should be managed out of the company, not provided a free pass. Some regions are very cliquish, protecting senior managers.

Confusing

Banker (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsA great name. Community support. Resources for clients. Team Members were outstanding - professional and well educated.

ConsDirect Management was cliquish and promoted/awarded plum assignments based on personal preference rather than professional expertise. Egregious behavior overlooked by management due to friendships. Continual requests for reports and information that are then "forgotten". Inadequate training for assistants.

High morale all around

Intern (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsNever have worked with friendlier people before, and everyone was willing to help. Work was challenging and was always given new opportunities to challenge myself.

ConsVacation is not equivalent to competitors and neither was salary. It is a smaller company so not a ton of room to move around departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep encouraging employees to develop and challenge themselves, it definitely keeps morale up. Also try more rotation programs so younger employees have more exposure to other areas of the company.

Good company overall.

Commercial Lending (Former Employee)

ProsGood work/life balance. Access to upper management. Community envolvement. Good compensation. Benefits good but a little pricey maybe because HQ in Wisconsin and is considered unhealthy state.

ConsLimited training if you were anything but a newly hired college grad. Commercial lending employees looked down on retail employees

Worked for M&I Bank? Contribute to the Community!