M&T Bank

Updated July 31, 2014
Updated July 31, 2014

M&T Bank Chairman and CEO, M&T Bank Corporation and M&T Bank Bob Wilmers
Bob Wilmers

Pros
  • They have great respect for work-life balance, more than anyplace I've ever worked (in 19 reviews)

• I have never worked at a company where there wasn't atleast one pro until I worked at M&T Bank (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • HR ignores grievances of labor law violations in addition to M&T Bank policy violations (in 15 reviews)

• There isn't much room for advancement unless you want to move to Buffalo (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

45 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company, High Turnover

Current Employee - Relationship Banker I  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker I in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Great Company to work for. They pay you great, work hours are wonderful and my co workers were also good people.

Cons

High turnover rate due to issues with money such as overages or shortages, fraudulent checks or cash. Very sales driven.

Its a living!

Current Employee - Operations Middle Manager  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Operations Middle Manager in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Steady Work. Pay is decent but not great.

Cons

Lots of non value added meeting time. Too many supervisors and not enough lower level people that actually do the work. Supervision spend their entire day in meetings "talking about what should get done".

Take the time to seriously review employee surveys when they come out you may learn what needs attention and you might be able to make it a better place for all to work at.

Disorganized

Current Employee - Senior Teller  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Teller in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Cons

First l I was hired as a Senior Teller but they had no proper training for that position. Then when I was going back to my branch that had no assistant manager as was the branch manager leaving before I got out of training which was horrible in itself. Then I find out that I have to take on the responsiblities of branch manager as well as senior teller but getting paid the same amount as tellers on my line with no experience as I already had several years experience in a financial setting.

Get a better training program with qualified trainers and pay people what their worth.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work with but, experience may vary from market to market.

Current Employee - Relationship Banker III  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker III in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Company is focused on work life balance, working enviornement and co-workers are great and like family.

Cons

Raises are not that common, and upper management focuses on micro management and not the overall revenue to the bottom line.

Positive feedback is better than always saying your work in not good enough.

New rules are not really working for the employees

Current Employee - Senior Teller  in  Lutherville Timonium, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Teller in Lutherville Timonium, MD

Pros

Great hours, flexible schedule for work-life balance

Cons

Management is getting worst by the day. The company puts too much emphasis on sales.
    They are reducing the budget by cutting hours, cutting the supplies budget to the penny. Meanwhile all of those are still needed to provide good customer service and function throughout the day.

It would be good to actually work on your employees' development plan instead of just leaving it as a written sentence in the book. An employee in a position he/she is not suited for is not happy and will never deliver his/her best performance.

Be prepared to work

Current Employee - Project Analyst  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Project Analyst in Baltimore, MD

Pros

This is a good company to learn the ropes of banking quickly. You will be encouraged to work hard and long and you can gain some great experience.

Cons

It would be difficult to make a career at this bank. The salary will not match the level of effort that will be expected. It is too difficult to advance unless you are willing to move to Buffalo. The technology infrastructure is lacking and changes/updates happen too slowly.

More investment is needed in technology to keep up with the competition.

Great Company

Current Employee - Compliance Specialist  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Compliance Specialist in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Great team members, compensation and benefits competitive

Cons

Old bank systems. Yo have to look into 6 different tools/ systems for a single item. They could Invest some money into latest technology

Mediocre benefits and very low pay. But they will never fire you.

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Analyst in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Great job security. We often joked about how long we could go without doing any work or showing up before they would fire us.

Cons

They don't like investing in their employees. They offer the absolute lowest salary in the industry, they provide the worst health benefits, and do very little to motivate employees. They rather see their employees quit then give them a raise over inflation.

Take care of your employees.

Could be a great place to work if....

Current Employee - Relationship Liaison  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Relationship Liaison in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Benefits
    Discounts
    Baltimore Ravens Offical Bank
    Account Variety
    Customer Service Driven

Cons

Unfair Management Practices
    No flexibilty
    Discrimination
    Career Opportunites but your supevisor will block you from leaving your department

Listen to those whom arent in a management role when they are trying to let you know what supervisors are doing wrong. The non-management workers do all the work and the credit goes to supervisors.

Formerly a great bank now being run into the ground, at least retail division

Current Employee - Branch Manager  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Strong financial performance
    High turnover in retail banking creates opportunities for advancement
    To be fair, I think the major issues are in retail banking and rest of bank is in good shape

Cons

Micro management to an extreme degree. Management talks about the horrors of daily conference calls at competitors, but then creates similar useless tracking and reporting. My division, retail banking, is on a downsizing spree. Most good employees are trying to leave the division or the company for more stable and rewarding jobs. Constant push to make up fake appointment activity to prove you're busy, but at end of the year it's all about results.

I used to like developing my employees but since nobody stays more than a year it's not worth my time...instead I need to make this quarters goal or risk an action plan. Turnover kills my incentive and takes motivation away from many people.

Treat people like adults. Are you really a VP with authority if scheduling, raises, sales activities, ratings, etc are all decided for you? You are limiting innovation and growth. You're in trouble when all ideas come from top down and people are afraid to give constructive feedback. You can only run the operation in a crisis mode for so long and will limit your ability to succeed and develop leaders.

Partnership across business lines is very poor but local senior retail leadership lack guys to address it. I'm tired of retail being pushed around all the time...no pride amongst our leaders.

Worked for M&T Bank? Contribute to the Community!